Do you program all of your sounds from scratch?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im innocent guv!!! :cry:

Always.

Okay, sometimes.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

no. not yet. it's time consuming.

got my hands full programming melodies and lyrics.
and bass part and drum part and guitar and synth parts.
trying to, at least.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Almost entirely, yes.

I did a full album where I made every sound from scratch including all electronic drums. I will never do that again. It was fun and I learned a great deal. It is definitely a workflow killer.

Here is my approach now. When in inspirational mode, I dial up a preset. I usually start from banks I have done myself. Then move to a synth with a good browser.

When I am not particularly inspired to lay down tracks. I do sound design to build the previously mentioned banks. Some times this leads to inspiration. It never happens the other way around where being inspired to lay down a track leads to great sound design....usually results in stalll.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

ARNK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:10 amDo ya?
I used to try to never use a preset back in the days I was using a Yamaha workstation, although they had a pretty good Japanese drum preset I used once. Now, I realize very few will ever make anything like what I do anyway so I am not so strict. But I do love making new preset sounds in my Prologue.

I discovered something quite interesting last night, after installing Dead Duck's Deducktion synth. It doesn't come with any presets so instead of spending half the evening wading through other people's sounds, I was forced to make some of my own. I surprised myself because it didn't feel like a chore at all. I had quite a good time doing it, something I would never say about going through a bank of presets. It felt so liberating to make some patches because it didn't have any and I reckon I learned a lot more about this synth in that couple of hours than I would have with some other synth full of presets.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm about 70/30 on this. 70% of the time I find/tweak a preset. But there a couple of times I start from scratch. One, if I have an idea in my head and I think I can dial it in quickly without losing the idea, iykwim. The second is very long ambient/soundscape presets. I usually take direction from a preset then clear it all out and start over trying to get the nuanced difference into my song. With that said, it's no big deal really to me whether its a preset or not in the song.

And I do have sessions that I sit aside just for sound design. I just don't let using a preset slow me down if what's in my head is a song. I grab my guitar or bass or synth w/preset and get to it.

Hardware synths - yes, always. Software - rarely.

Depends what I am working on.

Azbest wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:50 amHardware synths - yes, always. Software - rarely.
I'm the opposite - hardware is usually a real chore to patch, whereas softysnths are generally much easier. In fact, I do most of my hardware patching using a software editor for the instrument and instruments without a hardware editor usually don't last long in my set-up.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

if you're patching hardware with a software editor, you may as well just use software

fact

ARNK wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 am
Rastkovic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 am
ARNK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:10 amDo ya?
No, I use the Init preset.... :)

Of course, I love doing sounds.
;) nobody’s ever done that, an entire Track of INIT
Well, as a starting point of course. :)

Sometimes I listen to presets, to see, what other people can do with this synth. But I almost never use them to make music. Not because my sounds are super outstanding, it's just not my way of working.

AnX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:50 am if you're patching hardware with a software editor, you may as well just use software

fact
Why? What if I like the particular hardware sound better than any software alternative?
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:06 am
AnX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:50 am if you're patching hardware with a software editor, you may as well just use software

fact
Why? What if I like the particular hardware sound better than any software alternative?
such as?

Return to “Production Techniques”