Is it just me or is Cubase Direct Offline Processing entirely borked?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ever since the overhaul ages ago, this feature is now a mess. And up to this day, it appears they haven't fixed it. If I use regions, I'm guaranteed to get clicks and pops, incorrect latency compensation and even changes there might not update anymore once the processing is done once (even though the event is still saved).

...so how come Steinberg, after all these years, seems to have never fixed a perfectly good & useful feature? I'd much rather have it working than a new dynamic EQ which still isn't going to outperform a free one from TDR

I recognize the clicks/pops doing regions and actually more than once this has prevented from doing the edit altogether. This is all-the-way zoomed in or close to, where it cannot conceivably be my fault, there is nothing crossing during this where you might expect a bump. C11.0.0. Pro
(All three "Maintenance (my ass) updates" are worse than point 0 in every way here, update and instant show-stopping issues.)

they lost the plot at version 9 IME

jancivil wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:52 pm they lost the plot at version 9 IME
Agreed. It was you who taught me about this feature and I've found it super valuable (say, you slap a light de-esser and then just go manually through just a couple parts when need be, or doing manual EQ work when there's just here and there some unflattening bumps due to proximity effect)

But ever since the damn rework, this feature has been getting worse and worse to the point where one can't really use it. Latency compensation seems borked, clicks and pops to share with everyone, edits don't seem to update etc. I hoped 11 would have helped with this stuff but it's even worse than it was in 10.5 (or so it feels like, anyway)

Lost the plot indeed is the perfect expression and happy (...or sad...) to know it's not just me

I was just doing some housekeeping, and apparently I edit audio regions one hell of a lot. at this point it's kind of all or nothing, the entire event may be offline processed, but the clicks are intolerable in between; ALSO, I'm getting clicks at the end of an event I have to "silence" now. I think that was in one of the "maintenance" updates, it's literally been worse every iteration here.

Can you please give us step by step to produce these clicks? I would really appreciate it.

I didn't believe when they seem fixed the cpu spikes (I'm not getting them after 11.030 update). I really want to stay with Cubase as my main DAW, but I don't want to get frustrated getting those clicks after hard work!

For me it was editing a region - of audio parts - period; the two things I def. recall doing and undoing were 1) time stretch; and 2) gain change. In both cases I'd zoomed in far enough to absolutely ensure the region begins at zero crossing and both cases were at the end of an event/part. In addition, one gain edit of the entire event wound up with a bad bump at the end of the event I had to silence. Certainly not me, I did select all of an audio part in that case for instance.

I have gotten away with clean edits in 11.0.0, I believe these botches were in the "Maintenance updates", all of which meant very quickly deleting and reinstalling point zero for numerous reasons. I'm on Mac Catalina, its last version.

Thank you Jan for the explanation. I will see if I have such problem in my current project.
I really hope they fix it soon.

EnGee wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 pm Thank you Jan for the explanation. I will see if I have such problem in my current project.
I really hope they fix it soon.
One can always hope, but as jan said, this has been getting worse and worse every iteration. It all went downhill from was it 9.0 or 9.5 update when they overhauled the whole system into a new interface.

They did it and now, years later, it has only ever got worse and the Steinberg staff has not said a single word ever to my knowledge about this. Their forums has a topic on this every now and then but a lot of people remain unaware because they don't use it at all.

It also feels embarrassing because I used to promote Cubase through this specific feature (which I think PT also has) because of how useful it is. I've influenced probably a few people by now to get Cubase and... yeah. Can't say anything positive about it unless there comes a day when they fix it, it's such a bad outlook to not even acknowledge how badly they screwed up people who use it.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am I was just doing some housekeeping, and apparently I edit audio regions one hell of a lot. at this point it's kind of all or nothing, the entire event may be offline processed, but the clicks are intolerable in between; ALSO, I'm getting clicks at the end of an event I have to "silence" now. I think that was in one of the "maintenance" updates, it's literally been worse every iteration here.
So wait, does it affect past projects that way too? Like, if I had made edits years ago in Cubase 8.5, these events are now messed up too?

Oh man! This is not encouraging! I've just upgraded to Pro from Artist few days ago! Users also complained about Studio One having similar problems with audio! Are they copying bugs also now that they don't have anything important to add?! :hihi:

Luckily (or unfortunately!) I have another 5 DAWs ready, just in case Cubase doing it with me! So I might use Cubase for midi only then import those midi tracks to another DAW and render then work with audio (if needed)!

no, it doesn't botch extant edits, I don't think

they've done plainly idiotic things, as though there are coders who felt they didn't have enough to do making busy work. In "Maintenance" updates, nah, don't fix bugs, introduce absolute bullshit, break features, implement new ones with bugs, ad naus.

Between I think .0 and .1 they changed the way you set a volume in Inspector. For the entire life of Cubase afaik it was command-click (control on windows one supposes), now it's double click. Double click to delete notes in Key Editor, because producahz from the Fruity workflow or whatever. which used to bring the note into Note Expression, so you have to access a menu for that. It's not the fast double click either, it can be several seconds and a second click gets it gone.
Disrupt the old user's muscle memory if you can is the new way afaic.

Yeah at this point it's time to just look at other DAW's. The moment Studio One gets couple specific features (including direct offline processing), it's time to move on to that on a heartbeat. I have no idea what happened at Steiny, they picked up the slack few years ago and now it's pure downhill.

Admiral Bumblebee rated Cubase personally rather high on the standard that they listen to their community but I saw a whole lot of posts about various stuff AND we keep seeing them implementing stuff like a new dynamic EQ that absolutely nobody asked for

it's run by marketing people, they want all the producahz and as though it's to be the DAW for all seasons.
some d000d at their "forum" producahsplained the double click delete notes in Key Editor, it's a very crucial feature doncha know, their little productive hands are too busy to do it any other way!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”