Arturia V Collection 9. Predictions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

jamcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:12 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:37 pm
SHall1000 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:21 pm Understood. So are there any “radically different concepts” missing from the V collection set? PPG Wave maybe?
Wavestation, D-50, M-1, Ensoniq, Kawai additives, early VA's (Nord Lead, Virus, JP-8080)...
There is no possibility of ROMplers like the M-1 and Wavestation in the V Collection. KORG own those samples. If you want a virtual M-1 or Wavestation, you can get them from KORG.
The guys from Arturia would have to create their own samples and try to match the original ones as close as possible. So it is definitely possible but it's a lot of work. At the end of the day it's not that different to tweaking oscillator algorithms to the original hardware.

However, I think that Arturia would cross an invisible line when doing so. Roland, Korg etc will instantly pull out the big guns to stop Arturia if they try to copy samples and even if Arturia wins the fight in the end it might not be worth the trouble.

Along the order of sample based plugins... I found myself wondering why they even wasted the time with the Emulator. I would have much preferred they went the route of Morpheus/UltraProteus for that brand.

BBFG# wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:31 pm Along the order of sample based plugins... I found myself wondering why they even wasted the time with the Emulator. I would have much preferred they went the route of Morpheus/UltraProteus for that brand.
I guess Morpheus/UltraProteus are not "vintage" enough? :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

BBFG# wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:31 pm Along the order of sample based plugins... I found myself wondering why they even wasted the time with the Emulator. I would have much preferred they went the route of Morpheus/UltraProteus for that brand.
How are you supposed convince your whole school you're sick without an Emulator emulation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkUqWssSGc

Benutzername wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 pm
jamcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:12 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:37 pm
SHall1000 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:21 pm Understood. So are there any “radically different concepts” missing from the V collection set? PPG Wave maybe?
Wavestation, D-50, M-1, Ensoniq, Kawai additives, early VA's (Nord Lead, Virus, JP-8080)...
There is no possibility of ROMplers like the M-1 and Wavestation in the V Collection. KORG own those samples. If you want a virtual M-1 or Wavestation, you can get them from KORG.
The guys from Arturia would have to create their own samples and try to match the original ones as close as possible. So it is definitely possible but it's a lot of work. At the end of the day it's not that different to tweaking oscillator algorithms to the original hardware.

However, I think that Arturia would cross an invisible line when doing so. Roland, Korg etc will instantly pull out the big guns to stop Arturia if they try to copy samples and even if Arturia wins the fight in the end it might not be worth the trouble.
It's just not possible to copy samples. You only end up creating a new set. Even the same instrument in the same room with the same mics will sound different in a different session. So they could try to recreate the process with similar technology and footprint that KORG used in the '80s for the M1, but all Arturia would be left with at the end of the day is a pretty crappy sample-based VST of '90s freeware GM soundfont quality and bad loop points.

KORG wouldn't sue to stop that. They'd laugh their asses off.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

BTW, this is what I predicted in the Arturia V8 thread a year and a half ago:
jamcat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:02 am Theremin
Vocoder
OBXa
JX-8P
So I was right on 2/4.
I'll double down on the remaining two and add a Theremin to my JX-8P prediction.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

electro wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 am
Weasel-Boy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:48 pm I stopped updating at version 6. Originally, I bought the individual Jupiter 8 and Prophet V units and eventually went for the V4 collection…updating up to V6.
V6 has Synclavier, the crown jewel of their V Collection. What Arturia needs to do for a Version 9 is give that Matrix 12 the V3 overhaul treatment with .syx Import/Export. Its the only Matrix 12 emulation unlike Prophet V, Juno, Jupiter, Oberheim.
Owning an Xpander I actually like the Matrix 12 a lot, but the factory presets are all tweaked to get to sound like the hardware, SysEx import/export would expose this even further.

I have to sell my beloved JX-10 Vecoven in absence of space and the technical skills to keep it in working order... Such a good retro-sounding synth... Really hope they will do a layered JX-10 with the option of switchable IR3109/IR-3R05 filters (which supposed to be the major difference between JX models). I believe they have the filters modeled already.

And yes, if they ever do an Ensoniq SQx or Korg DWx series, that would be really really welcome! Do you think they would consider POLIVOKS in the future? I have also seen that suggested a couple of times.

hoxclab wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:31 pm Hopefully some more thought out presets. A lot of them are pretty crummy. Let's be honest. Pigments shipped with better presets but even those are rather lazy.
THIS! Not being a sound designer I find most presets unusable for cue writing and don't even bother with it anymore. Not saying ALL the presets are unusable but finding presets I would want to use was harder than I thought it should be and I got tired of searching for them. I see no point in further upgrading what I don't use.

davidka wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 am And yes, if they ever do an Ensoniq SQx or Korg DWx series, that would be really really welcome! Do you think they would consider POLIVOKS in the future? I have also seen that suggested a couple of times.
I'd rather like an Ensoniq VFX. I had one of those and it was pretty hip with the TransWaves and such (also the polyAT back then was very cool. When I sold it, I ended up getting a Kurzweil MidiBoard to make sure that I still had polyAT).

The Korg DW8000 was the first synth I ever bought. It was fun, but by today's standards so limited. With the DW8000 one might run into issues; Ensoniq's gone, but whether or not Korg would "care" about the use of the wavetable used to create any authentic version of the DW8000, I doubt they'd allow it on any level.

Have there been any full credited emulations of Korg products that Korg doesn't own? UVI, I think, did a version of the M1, but it was extremely stilted, if I remember.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

dlandis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 am Have there been any full credited emulations of Korg products that Korg doesn't own? UVI, I think, did a version of the M1, but it was extremely stilted, if I remember.
The M1 was sampled and was part of Digital Synsations.

Examigan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:21 pm
dlandis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 am Have there been any full credited emulations of Korg products that Korg doesn't own? UVI, I think, did a version of the M1, but it was extremely stilted, if I remember.
The M1 was sampled and was part of Digital Synsations.
Right. It seemed that they did not sample the entire unit (ditto for the other synths included), but just enough to get the "flavor" of it. Right?
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

I would love the Ensoniq Fizmo.

I never owned an Ensoniq. Even though I liked their sound, I never trusted their build. Mainly because a store I worked at was an authorized service center that constantly had a pile of them coming in weekly for repair.
But went through a few YouTubes for the Fizmo, and have to agree this would be a good addition to the line up.
Still think Morpheus/UltraProteus would also be good.
One other synth, in the vein of Roland's D-50 without actually being Roland, was the Peavey DPM-3 expanded with all the modules into one (which means it would also sample).
All three have a fan base and none of them have any other chance of being revived by the companies themselves.

Whatever it is, I look forward to hating it.

Return to “Instruments”