Trying to Adapt the Arturia MiniLab Controller Script to a BeatStep Pro

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot seem to find a modern beatstep pro controller script so I thought I'd try to alter the provided bitwig 3 script for arturia minilab, to the beatstep pro.

There's a pretty nice little wrapper included called Extensions.js that seems to offer some helpful things like, "is this a CC, or a note event", things like this from Extensions.js in the same folder:

isChannelController: function() {
return(this.status & 0xF0) === 0xB0;
},

I am no god-level midi guy but I am guessing this is grabbing the status byte and checking if the status byte type is a Midi CC status byte... Tested that hypothesis, and confirmed.

With almost no changes to the minilab script, the 16 rotary Knobs on the BeatStep pro work out of box with the script for the Minilab, and the sequencer step buttons are working for switching the various controller modes that the minilab script had.

The beat step pro needs to be set up to output delta instead of absolute for the knob turns, which is annoying for me because that means the readout screen on the arturia is going to be useless and distractingly wrong.

Next job is to map the 16 mini non-velocity pads which can be lit or not lit, to some functions of my choosing. Then map the velocity sensitive pads so they work out of the box the same way the launchpad script works with drum pads. What do I need to read and understand in order to do a reasonable job of those tasks?

From my google-fu it seems that Moss tried to support the BSP but that the BSP can't have a write-back midi signal to turn the lights on on the sequencer pads, and that the lights on the velocity sensitive pads are basically controlled by the BSP itself and can't be midi-out controlled?

The dead and no longer working beatstep pro stuff I found before I started altering the minilab script:

https://github.com/benschmaus/bitwig-beatsteppro

I am still working on this and anyone using bitwig with a beatstep pro is welcome to ping me if they want to try my scripts out or have ideas.

My work is stored here (one git repo for all my scripts)

https://github.com/wpostma/bitwig-controller-scripting

wpostma wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 am I am still working on this and anyone using bitwig with a beatstep pro is welcome to ping me if they want to try my scripts out or have ideas.

https://github.com/wpostma/bitwig-controller-scripting
Hey there! Glad to find you! I can help with testing and improving it! So please share how to install it?

wpostma wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 am I am still working on this and anyone using bitwig with a beatstep pro is welcome to ping me if they want to try my scripts out or have ideas.

Hey!
Hope you see my message! Can you explain how to install and configue those scripts?

Hi hit me in direct messages if you want specific help. The scripts are easy to install. There is a controller scripts folder anyou put them in there.

Return to “Controller Scripting”