IK announces UNO Synth Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:13 am

- Yes, we know you will defend this Uno to your bare bones. ;)

And you gave up on the interface 6-8 weeks ago - we hear you.
And you look forward to mouse click fest - we hear you even louder.

This exactly why people are getting hardware - to not get that what you love so much. :D :)

KVRAF
7914 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:14 am

Decent demo and review

https://youtu.be/HrFqZBXuhfU

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/07/ik ... sizer.html

Interesting the review had the same dislikes as mine! 'invisible' sequencer labelling & micro USB but pretty much every review raves about the 'sound' which is what matters (which is a good job as its a pretty ugly synth in my opinion, but I am not a big fan of the red)

They also pick up on the matrix interface (missing one-knob per function operation) but that isn't an issue for me as I use it as a module mapped to my controller keyboard sop I can have knobs for whatever I want. If I do use it as a 'desktop' synth for a bit of fun the matrix is really easy to use...I only have 2 hands so can only reach so many things at once!

The software editor (also a VST I assume like the original UNO) will add a lot of value for me, it's obviously pretty much ready (based on the videos) so that will be great.. I have a Prophet 08 module in my rack which has pretty much 1 knob pert function but I still prefer driving it with the software editor (which I had to buy!) or mapped to my P6...
Last edited by SLiC on Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

KVRAF
7914 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 am

lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:13 am
- Yes, we know you will defend this Uno to your bare bones. ;)

And you gave up on the interface 6-8 weeks ago - we hear you.
And you look forward to mouse click fest - we hear you even louder.

This exactly why people are getting hardware - to not get that what you love so much. :D :)
BONES plays the UNO Pro live in a band...his needs are going to be different to people who don't actually play live and are just making tunes on a laptop or a synth cave. Analogue stuff generally sound better (especially live) and the UNO PRO Desktop is easy to built patches at home (by whatever method you prefer) and then take it with you Live and just plug it in the Mixer- ideal.

I have a lot of hardware synths, a few fully analogue which are 1 knob per function...but the only synth I prefer to edit 'on the synth' is my Hydraynth, all the rest are easier (and have more features) with their software editors and I have control of everything without having to move or look away from my keyboard and main monitor.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12298 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:37 am

lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:13 am
- Yes, we know you will defend this Uno to your bare bones. ;)
Yes, because I own one and I know what I'm talking about. You don't so your opinion is of comparatively little value. What, for example, is your experience when it comes to the matrix-style parameter editing that Uno/Uno Pro use? How may synths have you owned and used that employ a similar paradigm?
And you gave up on the interface 6-8 weeks ago - we hear you.
No, I finished making all the patches I need to use it in our live set. I'm not making sounds for it any more because I have all the sounds I need.
And you look forward to mouse click fest - we hear you even louder.
I can't see myself needing to use the editor, either. As I said, I have all the sounds I will need for it already.
SLiC wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:14 am
The software editor (also a VST I assume like the original UNO) will add a lot of value for me, it's obviously pretty much ready (based on the videos)
What videos? Are they at that Instagram link? I should probably get an account, except there is no reason I should have to just to look at something, so they can get f**ked.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
7914 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:17 am

@Bones- I don't think you need an account to view it, apparently out this month (looks finished to me!)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPV_2JOHOlX/
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:30 am

BONES wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:37 am
What, for example, is your experience when it comes to the matrix-style parameter editing that Uno/Uno Pro use? How may synths have you owned and used that employ a similar paradigm?
I own DeepMind which has matrix style, 8 slots. If 30 sources and 130 destinations or so. Still exploring that. But you see 8 rows straight up, and what it connects to and value too - so no browsing or anything needed between them.

Really intrigued by these self generating patches where you get pads that evolve constantly. Since polysynth this is extensive if you hit a chord or arpeggiated. There is a good bunch of YT vids to get going with that. You can always get ideas for other synths too like Uno.

Neutron is a special treat too, with patch cables. That also give ability to some accidents that turns out nice. Learned some doing that and new cross modulations one never thought of. Thinking in voltages and such.

I was interested in Matrixbrute a couple of years ago for their really smart modulation solution 16x16, and wished for a polysynth with that and up came Polybrute last year. But got sick of all shipment delays that were and dropped it for now. I actually ordered and payed for it twice from places saying they had it in for sure next week and such, and had to cancel them since they promised too much. So I'm still on rebound on that one. But the overview you get which are in action is good thinking.

Much smarter than matrix style I find my Nordlead 2X, among other NL, but just two sources velocity or mod wheel though. You just enter assign mode, then tweak any knob( 25 or so) and you get a range from stored value to the new value and this is calculated over velocity how that parameter is varied. And here we have knob per function, no menues what so ever. So you can make real nice expressive patches how it responds to playing - like a new instrument each preset. And handling it like two positions of each knob is rather clever way that is easy to understand and very hands on. Having knob per function makes this possible to modulate velocity/wheel to 25 destination(no matrix style I saw do that). What stinks is overview what is there is zilch.

But most extensive cross modulation is my Wavestate, but the overview is not as handy as a proper matrix if all in one display, but way more flexible and 8 macroknobs each of four layers and one for full performance for realtime tweaking as you please too apart from other sources.

You can have hundreds of modulations each preset, but have to browse - I think a bit like Uno. And there is no real limit to what Wavestate can have in presets, and you can make setlists 64 presets and as many setlists you like.

But having ongoing swirling and whatnot for pads has a lot of headroom, but and special mindset to know what you are going for. Funfactor is less IMO.

lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:52 am

SLiC wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 am
lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:13 am
- Yes, we know you will defend this Uno to your bare bones. ;)

And you gave up on the interface 6-8 weeks ago - we hear you.
And you look forward to mouse click fest - we hear you even louder.

This exactly why people are getting hardware - to not get that what you love so much. :D :)
BONES plays the UNO Pro live in a band...his needs are going to be different to people who don't actually play live and are just making tunes on a laptop or a synth cave. Analogue stuff generally sound better (especially live) and the UNO PRO Desktop is easy to built patches at home (by whatever method you prefer) and then take it with you Live and just plug it in the Mixer- ideal.

I have a lot of hardware synths, a few fully analogue which are 1 knob per function...but the only synth I prefer to edit 'on the synth' is my Hydraynth, all the rest are easier (and have more features) with their software editors and I have control of everything without having to move or look away from my keyboard and main monitor.
For me the synth is song writing tool too, so while tweaking around new ideas pop up. No computers running, and one power button to start playing/tweaking. I just found I play more the fewer steps to get there.

I get that with a deadline some needs goes first if to swap a synth for gigging. But still tells a story about how much a synth is inviting you to tweak some more if you just leave it as bread/butter is done.

Prologue and Nordlead2X are most inviting to me. DeepMind still to much back and forth in display and enveloples and such. With knob per function you can find little "accidents" that is not likely to find otherwise and that in turn inspires more to tweak again.

KVRAF
7914 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am

It’s a balance between how easy it is to make a sound and the quality of the sound produced. Something like my Korg XD are easy to use, pretty much WYSIWYG, but the sound is quite different. If I want happy accidents and tweaking I am on my Eurorack anyway!

I think the UNO Pro is easy to program, the matrix works fine, given the cost and form factor it’s about as good as gets right now (I’m talking the desktop model), if you want you can pay £2000 for a Pro3 mono to get a similar sound/features but more knobs! There is plenty to criticise on the UNO that didn't need to cost more (like use legible text!) and a bunch of things that can be improved by firmware updates...but 'all in all' it sounds great 'for the money' (I cant think of a better synth for £340 right now) and I quite like the form factor, it works for me.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 am

SLiC wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am
It’s a balance between how easy it is to make a sound and the quality of the sound produced. Something like my Korg XD are easy to use, pretty much WYSIWYG, but the sound is quite different. If I want happy accidents and tweaking I am on my Eurorack anyway!
Powering up my Prologue 8 it usually are hours before I land on earth again. You browse some presets you did before, and felt like tweaking and store as another preset. Hours just go by. That is high rating for me.

A little more on the clean side it is Nordlead2X that gets attention. It does not have the silk that Prologue does but really nice. More filters, more crossmod.
I think the UNO Pro is easy to program, the matrix works fine, given the cost and form factor it’s about as good as gets right now (I’m talking the desktop model), if you want you can pay £2000 for a Pro3 mono to get a similar sound/features but more knobs! There is plenty to criticise on the UNO that didn't need to cost more (like use legible text!) and a bunch of things that can be improved by firmware updates...but 'all in all' it sounds great 'for the money' (I cant think of a better synth for £340 right now) and I quite like the form factor, it works for me.
I'm not remotely interested in the Uno Pro, I'd rather go Pro3 as you mentioned. Uno does not tick my boxes, maybe one that reminds a bit about Prologue.

The preset you posted above - it was still mostly reverb that covers the tone. This is what I heard as demoed by Loopop and others too. As Loopop demoed he used desktop model, and just now and then happend to touch blade keys, and that is enough it plays, so you need to keep fingers high enough and get to panel without touching which is not ergonomic at all in my book.

I heard many times written how huge the Uno sounds
- yes, huge reverbs do that.
That is effect section, not the synth.

That in your face brutal I did not hear anywhere. I don't think I even look for "huge" in a synth TBH - that is daw work possibly or just a good effect section. Exploring KingKorg I abandoned due to core sound was not that interesting, you had to use effects and lots of it. Dispite it has so many different oscillator types, filter types and whatnot.

I heard Dave Smith at NAMM demoing Pro3, just about dry and sounded incredible and that brutal nicety. Just that mono synths does not tick enough boxes either. So curious about Pro 800 when it arrives if Behringer made an accurate replica of Sequential anything and I get a polysynth.

Nordlead has no effects, unless you consider distortion effect. So constantly working rather dry, unless I am testing reverbs in daw and such. Yet no problem to be surrounded by niceties. And high funfactor. Not fond of keybed, but it will do.

Getting better all the time bringing nice things from DeepMind6 too. Workflow holds me back on that one. Things I dial the most I have to push buttons in between, same idea as Uno basically even having way larger display.

KVRAF
7914 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:35 am

The Pro 3 (especially the SE) is possibly the best mono synths available (assuming you don't need to move it around, it weighs almost 30 pounds!) but its at the opposite end of the price scale! Obviously is money is no object and you don't need portability then go PRO3!
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12298 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm

lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:30 am
I own DeepMind which has matrix style, 8 slots. If 30 sources and 130 destinations or so.
Not a mod matrix, the matrix-style editing interface the Uno and Uno Pro use. The one you are complaining about, presumably without having used it. The first one I encountered was the Cs1x in the late 90s. It took me a while to get used to it but since then I've had half-a-dozen others that work in a similar way - Ultranova, Pulse 2, MicroMonsta, Analog Keys, Uno and Uno Pro - and those instruments have all outlasted knob-per-function synths I've owned and got rid of. Of all of them, I'd say Uno Pro is probably the second-best, after Ultranova. Ultranova has a much bigger display so you can get at more parameters per screen but Uno Pro's is really good - fast and intuitive because four turns out to be the optimum number of parameters to expose per row, or it is in the case of Uno Pro. There are the obvious ones, like ADSR, but elsewhere they have exposed handy parameters in the matrix and put deeper settings on the little screen with the data knob. e.g. You only get to set the wet/dry levels of the effects in the matrix, you have to adjust their settings with the Data knob. It's a good trade-off for live performance. And, cleverly, they have put separate Cutoff and Resonance knobs on the front panel as well.

A lot of thought goes into it, to be so dismissive does you no favours.
lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:52 am
For me the synth is song writing tool too, so while tweaking around new ideas pop up. No computers running, and one power button to start playing/tweaking.
So your hardware synths all have built-in speakers, do they? Because my experience with hardware is that I have to turn on the mixer, the instrument and the speakers before I can start doing anything. OTOH, one power button is all it takes to fire up my laptop and everything attached to it via USB. Then I turn on the speakers, load an instrument and I'm ready to go. Exactly the same number of steps but generally completed more quickly with the laptop because it's all there in front of me, I don't have to go fumbling around the back for power buttons/switches. If inspiration strikes, I will always go to the laptop to work on it. Hardware doesn't do inspiration any better than software. In fact, since I got my Seaboard, software has become a far better playground for inspiration than any hardware I've owned.
I just found I play more the fewer steps to get there.
I am exactly the same, which is why I always choose software.
I get that with a deadline some needs goes first if to swap a synth for gigging. But still tells a story about how much a synth is inviting you to tweak some more if you just leave it as bread/butter is done.
I'm the same with softsynths and I found my knob-per-function hardware the least inspiring, and most frustrating, of all. All of them - Minilogue, Monologue, JP-08 and JU-06 were way more annoying to work with than anything else, simply because the knob positions never matched the current values of any parameters. That meant you could never just glance at the interface and know what was going on which, for me, is the whole reason for having knob-per-function in the first place. OTOH, with the kinds of softsynths I like to use, you can see exactly how every parameter is set and it's much easier to take it all in because the GUI is right in front of you.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:39 pm

SLiC wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:35 am
The Pro 3 (especially the SE) is possibly the best mono synths available (assuming you don't need to move it around, it weighs almost 30 pounds!) but its at the opposite end of the price scale! Obviously is money is no object and you don't need portability then go PRO3!
Thanks for advice.
I'll stay put and investigate Pro 800 first. It would even fit nicely to the right on NL2X which takes care of space issue and ergonomics too being my master keyboard in front of daw computer.

I had what I call my education money put on a D50, JV80, SH32, KingKorg and Blofeld(owned for a week and sent back) and how half way knob per function does not do it for me - I want at least 80% knobs per function or so. What is left in menus on Prologue is perfectly alright, very clever approach I think.

Reach of Prologue is extended quite a bit with user oscillators as 3rd oscillator together with VCO's.(like minilogue XD has too).

As for search of melodic content that for some reason make you want to listen again - nice sounds help you get there, synths, hammond, beats, choirs or guitars or whatever.

So whatever favour that exploration is worth it. Korg is probably the most innovative brand IMO so would not be surprised if they come up with even more interesting synths going in various directions as with Wavestate, Opsix and ModWave. Some Prologue on stereoids with loads of crossmod abilities or something.

I also like what Arturia has been doing as with bold creations like Polybrute outranking Roland which only repeat themselves. Roland for the last 30 years basically has favouring people that don't make own sounds, just buy libraries. Totally unimpresssed by Roland.

lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:15 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm

A lot of thought goes into it, to be so dismissive does you no favours.
Funny you would say that
- I find your reasoning not only dismissive but inconsistent too

You cannot get a value for a knob - so better with no knob at all.
That is what less knobs per function do - you don't even have a knob unless setting edit modes and stuff.

And suddenly mod matrix in other synths than Uno does not count. DeepMind is certainly a mod matrix.

Uno is perfect as it is in BONES world, I come to think of Waynes world for some reason. ;)

BONES Uno does not need any changes in gui to suit better workflow
- but BONES pause working with it to get an editor
You even contradict what you say all the time.

My little nest
Studio view 1
Studio view 2
No, I don't need speakers and fire up sound in the room
- I use phones 100% unless I check mixes on monitors when daw is up too and that stage is a couple of times a year.

My Mackie mixer that I prefer for phones is powered up all the time, but computers not. So piano, organ, synths, drums are one power button away and TBH 2 30 cm patchbay cables to Mackie. Guitar amps and pedal board a couple more switches.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12298 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:32 pm

lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 am
Powering up my Prologue 8 it usually are hours before I land on earth again. You browse some presets you did before, and felt like tweaking and store as another preset. Hours just go by.
And that doesn't happen with softsynths? You must be incredibly narrow-minded and/or set in your ways if you can't get lost in an instrument like Korg's ARP Odyssey VSTi or bx_oberhausen or something totally from the world of software like Concept 2 or Hexeract. If you can't get the same inspiration/enjoyment out of those things as you do from your Prologue, I honestly feel sorry for you. You really have no idea what you are missing out on.
I'm not remotely interested in the Uno Pro, I'd rather go Pro3 as you mentioned. Uno does not tick my boxes, maybe one that reminds a bit about Prologue.
If that's true then, again, I feel really sorry for you because, again, you don't know what you're missing.
The preset you posted above - it was still mostly reverb that covers the tone.
So what? The reverb is part of the instrument, part of the patch. If you can't discern the underlying tone from the patch because of a bit of reverb, that's down to your own limitations. Tell me, do you never use effects on anything you produce? Do you even ever produce anything? It doesn't sound like you do if you don't understand why there might be reverb on a patch.
As Loopop demoed he used desktop model, and just now and then happend to touch blade keys, and that is enough it plays, so you need to keep fingers high enough and get to panel without touching which is not ergonomic at all in my book.
a) Why is that a problem?
b) That is not something that has happened to me. Not even once. The only time I get unwanted note triggers is when I pick it up sometimes. Hardly a problem.
I heard many times written how huge the Uno sounds
- yes, huge reverbs do that.
That is effect section, not the synth.
Guess what? The reverb is part of the synth, not separate to it. And if I was going to buy a Prologue, the reason would be because of its amazing effects section, not because of the raw sound.
That in your face brutal I did not hear anywhere.
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, trust me.
I don't think I even look for "huge" in a synth TBH - that is daw work possibly or just a good effect section.
But you just implied that's cheating. Make up your mind, will you. The good news, though, is that you don't need post effects, just the pre-filter drive, to get huge sounds from Uno Pro. Sounds that require unison with pretty much any other synth I can think of. The effects mostly just give you the stereo width that unison spread provides in a polysynth.
I heard Dave Smith at NAMM demoing Pro3, just about dry and sounded incredible and that brutal nicety.
Yeah, I can get that from a free VSTi, like GR-8 or Deducktion, I don't need to spend money at all.
Last edited by BONES on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12298 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:39 pm

lfm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:15 pm
- but BONES pause working with it to get an editor
You even contradict what you say all the time.
I never said anything even remotely like that. I haven't paused anything, I've finished doing what I needed to do. Uno Pro is so easy to patch from the front panel that I saw no reason to wait until the editor became available. All I said was that it will get even easier when the editor is available. I went to the trouble of saying I probably won't use the editor but you seem to have chosen to ignore that statement because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived views.
I use phones 100%
OK, so you don't really care much about music. I get it, it's just some little distraction for you but there are those of us who love music and live to feel it thumping against our sternums. I find headphones soulless. But, of course, you'd be in exactly the same situation when it came to your computer so all you've proved is how petty you are and/or how little you understand. It doesn't disprove my point.
My Mackie mixer that I prefer for phones is powered up all the time, but computers not.
Again, those are your choices and you could just as easily choose to leave your computer on 24/7, which would make more sense to most people, I think. Whatever, one is no more immediately available than the other unless you choose to make it so. My point still stands.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”