Presonus Studio One - Survey / Competition 2021

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never seen Presonus do a google questionnaire before.... The second question clearly wants them to know if they are wasting their time having people pay a subscription to use Sphere at all or just to provide it for free to everyone... or really to not bother doing Sphere videos at all cause nobody is watching their live streams... just a few guesses. Never used Sphere... not interested in subsciptions :D... In any case, the survey is open atm... and you probably won't win anything by doing it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... rmResponse

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

If you complete it you can enter in to win a pair of monitors.

A rather beautiful Monitor.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The problem with Presonus is that they don’t really know who to target the Studio One product at. Sphere gets you fifty-six bazillion cheesy soundsets and a bunch of plugs which, if you are a serious user you already have. The last major version introduced tools such as the Show Page which are directed firmly at the -sumer end of the Prosumer market. At the other end of the rainbow users who invest in Presonus hardware get a DAW that can’t multi-task properly with multicoloured rainbow plugs they already have twenty different third-party alternatives to.

Is it a toy for the kiddies or is it a professional DAW? Fix the multitasking and we’ll know. Or is it another ninety drum sample packs?

HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 am a DAW that can’t multi-task properly
Can you elaborate on this more?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Or on this:
HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 am Is it a toy for the kiddies or is it a professional DAW?
Or this:
HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 am Or is it another ninety drum sample packs?
On the other hand, I don't even think I'd be interesting in you elaborating on some troll stuff. :P

...and on this:
HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 amThe last major version introduced tools such as the Show Page which are directed firmly at the -sumer end of the Prosumer market.
Show Page is rather directed at people actually playing live gigs, so - in current environment - that's as much pro as you can get. Unless by pros you only mean engineers & movie composers...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jamcat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 am
HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 am a DAW that can’t multi-task properly
Can you elaborate on this more?
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=175

This and the post above it. In summary, Studio One forces VST based plugs to run on single CPU cores. All plugs on the same channel are forced onto the same single core. Some heavy duty VSTis are incapable of running on one single core and won't run in S1, and the only way around it is to REWIRE out to a secondary host such as Reaper.

If you do any kind of recording using a mic or DI box, you probably don't have any problems. If you do heavy duty plug based mixing, you'll need to Freeze down more frequently than is strictly needed, and if you use heavy duty VSTis, such as Serum in 4x 32 voice mode, you'll run out of CPU. Note having 18+ cores won't make any difference when everything gets get loaded onto a single core.

As for Trollphobia... thank you for your interest.

HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:34 pm https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=175

This and the post above it. In summary, Studio One forces VST based plugs to run on single CPU cores. All plugs on the same channel are forced onto the same single core.
TBH, I thought that that's pretty much how any DAW does it.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, that’s my understanding of how it works, too. I thought that HanafiH was saying that multicore distribution was broken or only worked right on the first couple cores in Studio One.

I’m not sure how the GS user got multicore distribution of a single channel in REAPER. If REAPER is able to do that, definitely other developers should figure out how they got that. The generally understood way it has to be done is serial processes must be processed sequentially in a single thread, because each process is dependent on the previous process being completed first. Even if you are able to distribute serial processing over multiple threads/cores, there will be a lot of processor waiting, which will introduce significant inefficiency where all cores can only process as fast as the slowest core.

This same kind of bottleneck happens with group channel and master bus effects. Perhaps that is where REAPER figured out something clever to distribute more efficiently, if that’s really happening?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

antic604 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 am ...and on this:
HanafiH wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 amThe last major version introduced tools such as the Show Page which are directed firmly at the -sumer end of the Prosumer market.
Show Page is rather directed at people actually playing live gigs, so - in current environment - that's as much pro as you can get. Unless by pros you only mean engineers & movie composers...
Yeah, I'm still on SO4, but I think Show Page is a really valuable ideia (at least for me). I don't think it's mature enough already, but it's very interesting to be able to do everything (from scratching a composition to playing it live) in one environment. I'm sure I'll at some point jump into it.

I had to stop using S1 because of the lousy CPU performance. REAPER is truly unbeatable in that regard.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:14 pm I had to stop using S1 because of the lousy CPU performance. REAPER is truly unbeatable in that regard.
May I ask at what buffer size you are working?

Trancit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:49 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:14 pm I had to stop using S1 because of the lousy CPU performance. REAPER is truly unbeatable in that regard.
May I ask at what buffer size you are working?
64 bit, lol. I know it’s low but I need low latency for tracking guitars with amp sims. I can actually do that in S1, but it gets intense when I start adding more tracks/effects.

antic604 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 am Show Page is rather directed at people actually playing live gigs, so - in current environment - that's as much pro as you can get. Unless by pros you only mean engineers & movie composers...
Well...to be fair...launching a feature aimed at live gigs during a pandemic [where live gigs have basically been prohibited] wasn't the best timing. :lol: But no way they could've known that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”