Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

jonljacobi wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:54 pm I think there's now a general impetus towards supporting the ARM architecture and whether they're in a hurry or not, software vendors realize that. Qualcomm now has Apple's old chief of engineering for Apple Silicon and coincidentally, just announced that they'll have a chip competitive performance-wise with Apple silicon for the Surface, etc. Surprise, surprise ;-) Now if it has the x86 addressing mode that the Apple silicon has, then you might see Windows for ARM's x86 emulation evolve to Rosetta 2 standards. At that point, it will be very desirable to have your code ported.
Hard to imagine that succeeding anytime soon...

Apple has a huge advantage as the R&D for Mac CPU's is supported by the enormous sales of iOS CPU's which share development.

The Surface is not a big seller so there is not much of a market currently for that Qualcomm CPU. There would be very little motivation for software developers to port to native ARM with so little market share.

Apple has the entire Mac market so developers have to port. Plus the developers have a side benefit that once they port to Apple Silicon, they have easier access to the huge iOS market.

It would not surprise me if Qualcomm failed in that effort. Maybe MS will be willing to throw tons of money at it with no profit for years. That is likely what it would take.
jonljacobi wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:54 pmRegardless, the port of Ableton and related doesn't seem to be a super high priority. More like something that will be done when it's done.
Ableton may be hard at work on Apple Silicon support and it may be a top priority of theirs. I can imagine it being quite a task for them considering that it includes porting Max/Max4Live.

The power savings are considerable. Intel will have to counter that. Time will tell.

Wondering for those who own suite, the process of getting suite setup on a desktop and Mac is relatively simple right?

bloomingclouds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:27 pm Wondering for those who own suite, the process of getting suite setup on a desktop and Mac is relatively simple right?
quite straightforward. packs can be downloaded afterwards, within suite itself, that are connected to your account.

desktop = pc? i only know it for pc, if you have several plugin folders, ableton does only use one vst2 folder, but with are they called shortcuts in english in a seperate folder, and point ableton to that folder as vst2 folder, it will get all folders.. if this is clear.

all other things, asio driver of course, simple. so quite easy, in my experience.

It's very easy. You can download packs from within the program, so it's basically just the same as with any other program.

Desktop = Windows PC? Same.

bloomingclouds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:27 pm Wondering for those who own suite, the process of getting suite setup on a desktop and Mac is relatively simple right?
Yes it is easy, its exactly same process as setting it up as within a Windows PC. just this week I made the jump from Windows 10 to M1 Mac Mini, and the whole process straightforward.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Emit and Pathways are screwed up in 11.0.5 for me. The samples show up in a smaller square within the rectangle sample area, and I cannot manipulate things properly.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm Emit and Pathways are screwed up in 11.0.5 for me. The samples show up in a smaller square within the rectangle sample area, and I cannot manipulate things properly.
Edit- Emit working OK for me Win 10 (just watched a YT video, working as expected)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Dang, Windows 10 here (Ryzen 3700x), too. Maybe has to do with my graphics card (Sapphire radeon rx 9 590)? I'll keep an eye out to see if anybody else has this problem.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm Emit and Pathways are screwed up in 11.0.5 for me. The samples show up in a smaller square within the rectangle sample area, and I cannot manipulate things properly.
Is it happening with short samples? That's a bug I reported and the dev confirmed it.

Weird. It is working now. I rebooted. Things had be graphically all messed up. I couldn't move the emit box thing, along with controls not showing up when I tried to add/manipulate parameters. Maybe using a short sample is what messed it up. We'll see.

Probably the best - and most bonkers! - showcase of (selected) Live 11 features :o

https://youtu.be/q2b1lqeA37A
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

i didnt knew that ableton dishes out a 3-month trial version. thats great. no rush and 3 month of slow mind infiltration with dem troops^^:D. they also added another payment option i often use on music equip etc. :D well, i guess my resistance due to the IMO high pricing for that upgrade is gone in the next 2 month :D.
i genuinely wonder why bitwig isnt doing the same. at least the new payment option would be killer

I must admit, Ableton UI looks much cleaner on smaller screens (13.3) than any other daw. At least for me. Even better than Logic.

Anyone know what the KN filter type in some of the Inspired by Nature devices stands for?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”