Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 pm
guitarzan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:13 am While it’s on my mind again — and I am serious about this — I would love to find all those killer psychedelic screen savers from, say, the mid ‘90s thru the early 2000s and use them as visualizations somehow. I really miss some of those things! Some of them were super weird and truly mesmerizing… yeah, psychedelic… the colors man, the colors…
https://www.screensaversplanet.com/scre ... &order=asc
Thanks! I guess they must be in there someplace, but most of those look more modern, like photo real rendered stuff. What I was thinking of was those wild, fast running ,often fractal looking things that almost had to be programmed by Deadheads. They were mostly distributed via email in the Windows 95 era.

pekbro wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:44 pm A windows version of Lumen is under development. No exact eta, but relatively soon I'm told. :tu:
It would be nice to have a good virtual analog video synth just to see if analog is something that would interest me without going down the video hardware rabbit hole. Lumen currently features Syphon input & output, so I would imagine the Windows version will feature Spout in & out. Please post if/when you hear more!

More testing, this time of a Tamron Fotovix slide-to-video camera.

Testing the Tamron Fotovix works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJdiwx21Sss

Testing the colour balance joystick on the Fotovix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyj7UX9tAM4

The most not-worst of 3 or 4 laughably poor DIY kaleidoscope thingies through the Fotovix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGtF9SZNPxY

(Endgame here is testing the viability of very-small-scale ink-and-oil / kaleidoscopic 'light show' type effects. )
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

ooh nice!

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:00 pm (Endgame here is testing the viability of very-small-scale ink-and-oil / kaleidoscopic 'light show' type effects. )
Interesting idea! I was actually considering going the other direction with extra large clock face glass for squish plates and smaller (but full size) glass for blow plates and swirl plates.

I don’t think I want to use overhead projectors though, probably just led light table under the plates with cameras on magic arms above to capture. I will be using high speed cameras on the physical effects (liquids and lumia, fog, mist, etc) for slo-mo options. Then I’d like to capture the entire “show” as raw video with my budget cine camera, using an anamorphic lens for cool vintage wide screen sci-fi movie look.

Still all just ideas, but I have the cameras and am slowly gathering other hardware and now with the help of this thread I have a good idea of what software I’ll want.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:00 pm More testing, this time of a Tamron Fotovix slide-to-video camera.

Testing the Tamron Fotovix works:

Testing the colour balance joystick on the Fotovix:

The most not-worst of 3 or 4 laughably poor DIY kaleidoscope thingies through the Fotovix:

(Endgame here is testing the viability of very-small-scale ink-and-oil / kaleidoscopic 'light show' type effects. )
Neat, where the heck did you find that thing. I never even heard of it before. :tu:
*I broke down and bought an elp webcam and a cheap capture card so as to be able to
get video into the Hypno. I'll probably get a fluxus duo at some point for the glitch
effects. So yeah that will put me at over $1k for the video synthesis thing (so far) :lol:

pekbro wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 pm Neat, where the heck did you find that thing. I never even heard of it before. :tu:
Look Mum No Computer did a video about using one a couple of years ago, and it seemed kind of interesting. They're basically a predecessor of slide scanners.

Checked at the time, and they could be fairly cheap on ebay, ie they ranged between about £60-£150 so I bid on one, got it for about £40. When I received it, part of whatever it was held the lens unit in place seemed to have been damaged in transit, but it was easy enough to hot-glue in place.

And in fact Ive just won an auction today for a second one that seems to be basically be unopened and unused, for £25

The notion of using liquid type stuff on the slides stuff came from various youtube videos Ive seen over the years using ink/oil/water/milk whatever, like this but on a much smaller scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13B-k3ZsJs

plus trying to work out ways to make it move, ie piezo speakers to vibrate it, or motors, and hence things like the diy kaleidoscope idea.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:47 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:30 pm Neat, where the heck did you find that thing. I never even heard of it before. :tu:
Look Mum No Computer did a video about using one a couple of years ago, and it seemed kind of interesting. They're basically a predecessor of slide scanners.

Checked at the time, and they could be fairly cheap on ebay, ie they ranged between about £60-£150 so I bid on one, got it for about £40. When I received it, part of whatever it was held the lens unit in place seemed to have been damaged in transit, but it was easy enough to hot-glue in place.

And in fact Ive just won an auction today for a second one that seems to be basically be unopened and unused, for £25

The notion of using liquid type stuff on the slides stuff came from various youtube videos Ive seen over the years using ink/oil/water/milk whatever, like this but on a much smaller scale:

plus trying to work out ways to make it move, ie piezo speakers to vibrate it, or motors, and hence things like the diy kaleidoscope idea.
Neat! I try not to watch that guy as it only makes me want to spend money, even if it's less
money. Of course, I did just finish my first DIY module ever! The Hypno expander, the kit
consisted of the face plate and that's it. I had to source the extension, HDMI ribbon cable
and the screws. Then I had to assemble it and bolt it all together :o

I went with locking nuts, so it wouldn't come apart. Anyway, baby steps :tu:
IMG_0325.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:47 pm The notion of using liquid type stuff on the slides stuff came from various youtube videos Ive seen over the years using ink/oil/water/milk whatever, like this but on a much smaller scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13B-k3ZsJs

That video has some great ways to make the liquids pop in 3D — I’m pretty sure every bit of it could be used with old school hippy liquid light techniques too.

A very simple old school light show idea for movement that would probably work for you is the idea of a blow plate — just use a straw to gently blow air across the surface of the liquid, or have a fan blow air across the surface for automated but random movement. You can also just give the whole thing a spin. Your idea of using surface transducers is something I’ve thought about too — that would be automated and synched to the soundtrack. Please keep us updated on your liquid light experiences!

Steve Pavlovsky’s YouTube channel, Liquid Light Lab, has all kinds of tips and techniques used in the classic psychedelic light shows, you could probably find some ideas that could be applied to your miniature liquid setup.
https://youtube.com/user/LiquidLightLab

Looking at the Hypno again, indeed there is a Raspberry on the back of it...
Seems like most of the digital video synths are that way, e.g. eyesy and the
Structure as well (though I think maybe the structure has more than 1 chip).

*Heh, the Hypno actually does a lot more stuff than I thought as I hadn't watched the
video. Internal modulation and whatnot. :lol:

pekbro wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:29 pmOf course, I did just finish my first DIY module ever! The Hypno expander, the kit
consisted of the face plate and that's it. I had to source the extension, HDMI ribbon cable
and the screws. Then I had to assemble it and bolt it all together :o

I went with locking nuts, so it wouldn't come apart. Anyway, baby steps :tu:

IMG_0325.jpg
Im intending to make something similar up for one of my Nebulae (also a RasPi), but it'll have to be a homemade faceplate.

guitarzan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:37 pm A very simple old school light show idea for movement that would probably work for you is the idea of a blow plate — just use a straw to gently blow air across the surface of the liquid, or have a fan blow air across the surface for automated but random movement.
Yup, that was something else I was going to try out. Ive got some PC case/card fans in a box somewhere, one or two of them are fairly small 'blower' type could maybe be 'directed' with tubing. Also got some very tiny pager/mobile phone motors.

Idea, ideas, ideas....

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:12 am
guitarzan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:37 pm A very simple old school light show idea for movement that would probably work for you is the idea of a blow plate — just use a straw to gently blow air across the surface of the liquid, or have a fan blow air across the surface for automated but random movement.
Yup, that was something else I was going to try out. Ive got some PC case/card fans in a box somewhere, one or two of them are fairly small 'blower' type could maybe be 'directed' with tubing. Also got some very tiny pager/mobile phone motors.

Idea, ideas, ideas....
it's a microscope?
what about simply placing it on a speaker?

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:34 pm it's a microscope?
No, its not got that level of magnification. It says 3x on the lens, whereas the toy microscope Ive got goes to 400x !!
what about simply placing it on a speaker?
Yup, that too, though it would have to be very shallow in terms of its height, there's only about 3-4" between the lens and the slide. Unfortunately the direct speaker output on my Koma Field Kit is borked, or I would have tried that.

ah i see.

i might try some cymatics type stuff with oils on water.
the main issue is mounting my "camera" as it's either my phone or the endoscope, but im sure i can knock something up...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”