What do you guys think of Replika Shimmer compared to Valhalla Shimmer?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRist
369 posts since 14 Oct, 2006

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:52 pm

What do you guys think of Replika Shimmer compared to Valhalla Shimmer? I just discovered this effect recently even though I've had Komplete 13 ultimate for a while now. I really enjoy it and like the sound of it. I haven't tried Valhalla Shimmer so I don't know how Replika Shimmer compares to it. What do you guys think? Here's a video I made of me messing around with the plugin using NI Grandeur:

https://youtu.be/O7Z3qj41iqU

KVRAF
9243 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 am

Is this basically Replika XT in diffusion mode with the pitch shift modulation?
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRist

Topic Starter

369 posts since 14 Oct, 2006

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:27 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 am
Is this basically Replika XT in diffusion mode with the pitch shift modulation?
I'm not sure, I haven't really used replika XT. Perhaps they tweaked and edited parts of replika xt and made a separate effects vst out of it?

User avatar
KVRian
1343 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 am

Replika Shimmer appears to be only in GR 6???

KVRAF
9243 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:33 am

Biome_Digital wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 am
Replika Shimmer appears to be only in GR 6???
Yes but that's what I'm saying - You could already do Shimmer reverb in XT. I think it's the same thing as using Diffusion with pitch-shift modulation in XT. Not sure though as I don't have it set up to test currently. Maybe they tweaked something.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRist
209 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am

I don't see a product called Replika Shimmer on the NI website, not sure what they're referring to.

KVRAF
9243 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:35 am

seangm wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am
I don't see a product called Replika Shimmer on the NI website, not sure what they're referring to.
It's a module in Guitar Rig 6.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRist
209 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:38 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:35 am
seangm wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am
I don't see a product called Replika Shimmer on the NI website, not sure what they're referring to.
It's a module in Guitar Rig 6.
Cool I have GR6 but haven't run into that yet.

User avatar
KVRian
1343 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 am

Well it sounds nice in your demo.

KVRian
694 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am

What do people think of BLEASS shimmer compared to Valhalla?

KVRAF
29275 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:22 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 am
Is this basically Replika XT in diffusion mode with the pitch shift modulation?
Prolly. Sounds great, I also used it like that a couple of times.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRist

Topic Starter

369 posts since 14 Oct, 2006

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:26 pm

Biome_Digital wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 am
Well it sounds nice in your demo.
Thanks.

What do you guys think of Replika Shimmer compared to Valhalla Shimmer?

User avatar
KVRian
1343 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:03 am

TB Reverb also has shimmer. Worth checking that out too.

KVRAF
1706 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am

Did an AB comparison a few years ago. My findings were:
Replika had more resonant frequencies, slightly warmer tone, brighter in a mix. Shimmer was slightly smoother, less grain but a little dull, wasn't as sharp in a mix.
Because the differences were so subtle I didnt end up buying Shimmer. The tail is just as long. Replika to my ears seems more musical, especially with resonant ringing instruments like piano and guitar and its diffusion has more options

KVRist

Topic Starter

369 posts since 14 Oct, 2006

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Kinh wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am
Did an AB comparison a few years ago. My findings were:
Replika had more resonant frequencies, slightly warmer tone, brighter in a mix. Shimmer was slightly smoother, less grain but a little dull, wasn't as sharp in a mix.
Because the differences were so subtle I didnt end up buying Shimmer. The tail is just as long. Replika to my ears seems more musical, especially with resonant ringing instruments like piano and guitar and its diffusion has more options
Which replika did you use? Replika XT or Replika Shimmer, because I think Shimmer just came out last year when Komplete 13 came out.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying Valhalla Shimmer, but after discovering Replika Shimmer in my Komplete 13 Ultimate package, I may just stick with Replika.

Return to “Effects”