WTF Arturia?! 13.9GB and 670k files!!!?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9995 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am

Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 am
But I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10350 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am
Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 am
But I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
I just checked my Arturia folder in Program Data, and 7 GB are actually occupied with samples (out of 17 GB). An extra 2 GB are occupied by the Presets folder. That leaves 8 GB for the GUIs. Considering their quality, and how many they are, it doesn't seem THAT much.

You seem to forget that Arturia now has SEVERAL synths that use samples. The Program Data folder doesn't just contain the GUI files. Did you check how much of the 13.9 GB in your folder are occupied with samples?
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
104 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:08 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
I guess that every company has their own strategy and way of doing things.

I don't own a software company or make software, but if I did, I would pay no attention to people with data caps at all. They're not the kind of customers I would want.

My main concern would be making as good software as I could. I wouldn't intentionally want to create bloated or sloppily programmed software, but if my new synth came in at 3 GB, and I were happy with how it turned out, then so be it.

The people with data caps should use old synths and software from decades ago with tiny GUIs if they're worried about file sizes.

There are multiple companies that can cater to their needs and provide what they are looking for.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9995 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 am

---
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9995 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 am

fmr wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am
Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 am
But I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
I just checked my Arturia folder in Program Data, and 7 GB are actually occupied with samples (out of 17 GB). An extra 2 GB are occupied by the Presets folder. That leaves 8 GB for the GUIs. Considering their quality, and how many they are, it doesn't seem THAT much.

You seem to forget that Arturia now has SEVERAL synths that use samples. The Program Data folder doesn't just contain the GUI files. Did you check how much of the 13.9 GB in your folder are occupied with samples?

No, just checked randomly few of them. Buy which of their instruments are sample-based? I can only think of Pigments since they've added sample/granular engine. Everything is - they claim - physically modelled, no?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9995 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am

Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:08 am
I don't own a software company or make software, but if I did, I would pay no attention to people with data caps at all. They're not the kind of customers I would want.

My main concern would be making as good software as I could. I wouldn't intentionally want to create bloated or sloppily programmed software, but if my new synth came in at 3 GB, and I were happy with how it turned out, then so be it.

The people with data caps should use old synths and software from decades ago with tiny GUIs if they're worried about file sizes.

There are multiple companies that can cater to their needs and provide what they are looking for.
You seem ignorant to the fact that data caps aren't usually a sign of someone being poor and thus - in your eyes - not deserving good plugins... Most of the time they're simply living in countries or areas with monopolistic practices or where internet is really spotty and providing it is genuinely difficult and/or expensive.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
104 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:44 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am
You seem ignorant to the fact that data caps aren't usually a sign of someone being poor and thus - in your eyes - not deserving good plugins... Most of the time they're simply living in countries or areas with monopolistic practices or where internet is really spotty and providing it is genuinely difficult and/or expensive.
I don't believe that I'm ignorant to that fact and sometimes there are no other choices available.

I do know that I consider internet connectivity to be no less important than the DAW or plugins that I am using.

I wouldn't be able to function or do music if I didn't have unlimited access to the internet.

If I had a software company, I wouldn't ignore data cap customers because I thought that they were poor, I would ignore them because they are unfortunately in a crappy situation, even if it's not of their own doing.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10350 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 am
fmr wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am
Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 am
But I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
I just checked my Arturia folder in Program Data, and 7 GB are actually occupied with samples (out of 17 GB). An extra 2 GB are occupied by the Presets folder. That leaves 8 GB for the GUIs. Considering their quality, and how many they are, it doesn't seem THAT much.

You seem to forget that Arturia now has SEVERAL synths that use samples. The Program Data folder doesn't just contain the GUI files. Did you check how much of the 13.9 GB in your folder are occupied with samples?

No, just checked randomly few of them. Buy which of their instruments are sample-based? I can only think of Pigments since they've added sample/granular engine. Everything is - they claim - physically modelled, no?
Really? You don't know? :eek:

Mellotron, Fairlight CMI, Synclavier, the Plate and Spring reverbs (impulses), the new Emulator, the Vocoder... there are SEVERAL, besides Pigments.

Why and how would they "physically model" samples? I'm sure you know what was the CMI (the first sampler), or the Synclavier. Or the Mellotron, for that matter.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9995 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am

fmr wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 am
fmr wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am
Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 am
But I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
I just checked my Arturia folder in Program Data, and 7 GB are actually occupied with samples (out of 17 GB). An extra 2 GB are occupied by the Presets folder. That leaves 8 GB for the GUIs. Considering their quality, and how many they are, it doesn't seem THAT much.

You seem to forget that Arturia now has SEVERAL synths that use samples. The Program Data folder doesn't just contain the GUI files. Did you check how much of the 13.9 GB in your folder are occupied with samples?

No, just checked randomly few of them. Buy which of their instruments are sample-based? I can only think of Pigments since they've added sample/granular engine. Everything is - they claim - physically modelled, no?
Really? You don't know? :eek:

Mellotron, Fairlight CMI, Synclavier, the Plate and Spring reverbs (impulses), the new Emulator, the Vocoder... there are SEVERAL, besides Pigments.

Why and how would they "physically model" samples? I'm sure you know what was the CMI (the first sampler), or the Synclavier. Or the Mellotron, for that matter.
Indeed, you're right. I have them installed but never really used them, so somehow it didn't register... :dog: :oops:

Time to close the thread I guess :hihi:

Although as I said in the OP for Modular V3 almost 90% of the 630MB it takes on the SDD are GUI assets, so that still doesn't sound right (to me).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
8793 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:48 pm

antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am
Although as I said in the OP for Modular V3 almost 90% of the 630MB it takes on the SDD are GUI assets, so that still doesn't sound right (to me).
I've got 19GB of Arturia files in that directory and the same number of sampled instruments as any other V-Collection user. I've got quite a few of their FX as well. So if the V-Collection+Pigments samples are 8GB, that leaves 11GB dedicated to their poor GUI implementations on my drive. And I don't even own the entire FX Collection 2. Others probably have more.

Yeah, still pretty poor. Still don't need multiple images for every individual key for the Prophet V multiplied across 5 sizes. It's not you antic604, it's them.

User avatar
KVRian
1299 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm

Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:08 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 am
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
I guess that every company has their own strategy and way of doing things.

I don't own a software company or make software, but if I did, I would pay no attention to people with data caps at all. They're not the kind of customers I would want.

My main concern would be making as good software as I could. I wouldn't intentionally want to create bloated or sloppily programmed software, but if my new synth came in at 3 GB, and I were happy with how it turned out, then so be it.

The people with data caps should use old synths and software from decades ago with tiny GUIs if they're worried about file sizes.

There are multiple companies that can cater to their needs and provide what they are looking for.
You wouldn't survive as a software company owner even one year with such an attitude.
Optimization is an integral part of a software development and has a very high if not the highest priority.
I guess you simply have no idea how software development looks like, thus your ignorance.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

User avatar
Beware the Quoth
29905 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:12 am

pixel85 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm
Optimization is an integral part of a software development and has a very high if not the highest priority.
Arturia beg to disagree. :lol:
successfully and consistently snarky

User avatar
KVRian
1019 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:07 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:12 am
pixel85 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm
Optimization is an integral part of a software development and has a very high if not the highest priority.
Arturia beg to disagree. :lol:
They are modern programmers. Got a programming issue? No problem, there's a 50MB library that can solve that for you!

KVRAF
29275 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:21 am

TBH, considering how big games are nowadays... I couldn't care less about an extra 10 to 20 GB.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

9995 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:22 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:21 am
TBH, considering how big games are nowadays... I couldn't care less about an extra 10 to 20 GB.
I don't game. Maybe that's why I noticed & care :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Instruments”