WTF Arturia?! 13.9GB and 670k files!!!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 pmBut I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
It should if it's after growing the user-base.
Especially if such a huge installation isn't justified.
It's not a sample-based instrument like Kontakt or orchestral libraries.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 pm
Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 pmBut I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.
I just checked my Arturia folder in Program Data, and 7 GB are actually occupied with samples (out of 17 GB). An extra 2 GB are occupied by the Presets folder. That leaves 8 GB for the GUIs. Considering their quality, and how many they are, it doesn't seem THAT much.

You seem to forget that Arturia now has SEVERAL synths that use samples. The Program Data folder doesn't just contain the GUI files. Did you check how much of the 13.9 GB in your folder are occupied with samples?
Fernando (FMR)

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 pm It should if it's after growing the user-base.
I guess that every company has their own strategy and way of doing things.

I don't own a software company or make software, but if I did, I would pay no attention to people with data caps at all. They're not the kind of customers I would want.

My main concern would be making as good software as I could. I wouldn't intentionally want to create bloated or sloppily programmed software, but if my new synth came in at 3 GB, and I were happy with how it turned out, then so be it.

The people with data caps should use old synths and software from decades ago with tiny GUIs if they're worried about file sizes.

There are multiple companies that can cater to their needs and provide what they are looking for.

---
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

fmr wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:49 pm
I just checked my Arturia folder in Program Data, and 7 GB are actually occupied with samples (out of 17 GB). An extra 2 GB are occupied by the Presets folder. That leaves 8 GB for the GUIs. Considering their quality, and how many they are, it doesn't seem THAT much.

You seem to forget that Arturia now has SEVERAL synths that use samples. The Program Data folder doesn't just contain the GUI files. Did you check how much of the 13.9 GB in your folder are occupied with samples?

No, just checked randomly few of them. Buy which of their instruments are sample-based? I can only think of Pigments since they've added sample/granular engine. Everything is - they claim - physically modelled, no?
Music tech enthusiast

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:08 pmI don't own a software company or make software, but if I did, I would pay no attention to people with data caps at all. They're not the kind of customers I would want.

My main concern would be making as good software as I could. I wouldn't intentionally want to create bloated or sloppily programmed software, but if my new synth came in at 3 GB, and I were happy with how it turned out, then so be it.

The people with data caps should use old synths and software from decades ago with tiny GUIs if they're worried about file sizes.

There are multiple companies that can cater to their needs and provide what they are looking for.
You seem ignorant to the fact that data caps aren't usually a sign of someone being poor and thus - in your eyes - not deserving good plugins... Most of the time they're simply living in countries or areas with monopolistic practices or where internet is really spotty and providing it is genuinely difficult and/or expensive.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 pm You seem ignorant to the fact that data caps aren't usually a sign of someone being poor and thus - in your eyes - not deserving good plugins... Most of the time they're simply living in countries or areas with monopolistic practices or where internet is really spotty and providing it is genuinely difficult and/or expensive.
I don't believe that I'm ignorant to that fact and sometimes there are no other choices available.

I do know that I consider internet connectivity to be no less important than the DAW or plugins that I am using.

I wouldn't be able to function or do music if I didn't have unlimited access to the internet.

If I had a software company, I wouldn't ignore data cap customers because I thought that they were poor, I would ignore them because they are unfortunately in a crappy situation, even if it's not of their own doing.

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:32 pm

No, just checked randomly few of them. Buy which of their instruments are sample-based? I can only think of Pigments since they've added sample/granular engine. Everything is - they claim - physically modelled, no?
Really? You don't know? :eek:

Mellotron, Fairlight CMI, Synclavier, the Plate and Spring reverbs (impulses), the new Emulator, the Vocoder... there are SEVERAL, besides Pigments.

Why and how would they "physically model" samples? I'm sure you know what was the CMI (the first sampler), or the Synclavier. Or the Mellotron, for that matter.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:52 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:32 pm

Really? You don't know? :eek:

Mellotron, Fairlight CMI, Synclavier, the Plate and Spring reverbs (impulses), the new Emulator, the Vocoder... there are SEVERAL, besides Pigments.

Why and how would they "physically model" samples? I'm sure you know what was the CMI (the first sampler), or the Synclavier. Or the Mellotron, for that matter.
Indeed, you're right. I have them installed but never really used them, so somehow it didn't register... :dog: :oops:

Time to close the thread I guess :hihi:

Although as I said in the OP for Modular V3 almost 90% of the 630MB it takes on the SDD are GUI assets, so that still doesn't sound right (to me).
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:01 pm Although as I said in the OP for Modular V3 almost 90% of the 630MB it takes on the SDD are GUI assets, so that still doesn't sound right (to me).
I've got 19GB of Arturia files in that directory and the same number of sampled instruments as any other V-Collection user. I've got quite a few of their FX as well. So if the V-Collection+Pigments samples are 8GB, that leaves 11GB dedicated to their poor GUI implementations on my drive. And I don't even own the entire FX Collection 2. Others probably have more.

Yeah, still pretty poor. Still don't need multiple images for every individual key for the Prophet V multiplied across 5 sizes. It's not you antic604, it's them.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:08 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 pm It should if it's after growing the user-base.
I guess that every company has their own strategy and way of doing things.

I don't own a software company or make software, but if I did, I would pay no attention to people with data caps at all. They're not the kind of customers I would want.

You wouldn't survive as a software company owner even one year with such an attitude.
Optimization is an integral part of a software development and has a very high if not the highest priority.
I guess you simply have no idea how software development looks like, thus your ignorance.

pixel85 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:46 am Optimization is an integral part of a software development and has a very high if not the highest priority.
Arturia beg to disagree. :lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:12 am
pixel85 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:46 am Optimization is an integral part of a software development and has a very high if not the highest priority.
Arturia beg to disagree. :lol:
They are modern programmers. Got a programming issue? No problem, there's a 50MB library that can solve that for you!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

TBH, considering how big games are nowadays... I couldn't care less about an extra 10 to 20 GB.

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:21 pm TBH, considering how big games are nowadays... I couldn't care less about an extra 10 to 20 GB.
I don't game. Maybe that's why I noticed & care :)
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Instruments”