Best Convolution processor for creative purposes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Altiverb Fog Convolver IQ-Series Reverb V2 MConvolutionMB Reverberate 3

dandezebra wrote:I love experimenting with IRs in Reverberate 2. Taking a synth line, converting to wav, reversing it, and using it as an IR for the original line. Sometimes it sounds like a pile of shit and sometimes it sounds like auditory bliss. Ha!

Also, there are some interesting free / cheap IR libraries out there for more than reverb. Frozen Plain, Westgate, etc.

Good luck!
I have a small sample library from Synesthesia that I downloaded a few years ago, and have been messing with its impulses ever since, once in a while. I looked for the whole library now, but they seem to be gone, at least for the moment, and the library is no more.

Anyway, I intend to use my own samples as impulses, as I said. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to achieve, and what kind of impulses I need.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Chandlerhimself wrote:Melda is probably the best for sound design. You can use 2 IRs in serial or in parallel or if you use the "disabled" crossover you could use 12 IRs at the same time, if your CPU doesn't blow up. If you haven't checked out the artifical IRs I'd take a look at them and all the things they can do. I did a video about reverse reverb using them a few months ago.
Thanks for the videos :tu:

Melda MConvolution is deep. I confess I am just scratching its surface. Have to dig on this thing too. Anyway, I think that Fog Convolver can complement nicely.

Reverberate is good, but too expensive, and with the two (MConvolution and Fog Convolver) I think I will be well served.
Fernando (FMR)

Hello, the best tool for creating convolution synthesis or re-synthesis is in my opinion Fruity Convolver.

forget about all the other typical IR impulse signal reverb tools, most of them you can only work with the impulses they have by default, and they dont let you to load samples...

What you really want is what i just showcased in following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFGCYh9qQBU&t=275s

And Fruity Convolver works, because it allows you to load any sample with drag and drop, plus you can filter the sample it self and control the mix either using an equaliser or controling the way the sample stretches it self...

Fruity Convolver is without doubt the most flexible tool for convolution resynthesis i know in existance...

Its really a pity that is only a FL Studio native tool, but i strongly recomend you to use it or download the FLstudio demo just to try it because its god like for soundscapes and to generate unique textures without thinking too much.

If you allow me...

I'm still investigating from time to time with a self-made IR library focused on harmonies and scales and IMO, features that would benefit of this peculiar area would be fine tune at first (for the search of a ringing tone) and then up and down octave transposition precisely half-steps by half-steps

also considering technological progress, time stretch algorithm to preserve the original length of the sample if it doesn't induce too much undesired artifacts to preserve the significant aspects that convolution enhance mainly, and transposition that keep stretch and crunch process in a range between 50% to 200% in shouldn't be a real problem anymore with modern algorithms, as far as i can judge

My experience made me notice the sonic aspects that convolution will preserve and enhance in a sample when lauched as an IR, but this has needed much "trial and error" experimentation that took time

Cosmo Circle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 pm forget about all the other typical IR impulse signal reverb tools, most of them you can only work with the impulses they have by default, and they dont let you to load samples...
pointless necro for something completely untrue. most convolvers let you use your own sample files as impulses, including the four I mentioned when this thread was actually current, over 3 years ago.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Trash2

I wish for a convolver that would allow morphing (or crossfading at least) of multiple impulse responses with an XY grid--the way BT Phobos does, but as an effect plugin.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

HOFA IQ-Reverb v2. Has the option to not only mix up to 4 IRs but als has 2 algorithmic reverb slots, a massive library and FX onboard.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am I wish for a convolver that would allow morphing (or crossfading at least) of multiple impulse responses with an XY grid--the way BT Phobos does, but as an effect plugin.
Pretty certain that’s possible with the Melda MB as IIRC you can morph between snapshots on the XY grid so you could choose four bands and set each to full frequency for four different snapshots

Admittedly I haven’t tried this yet but theoretically it should work

Return to “Effects”