Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

by throw together, i of course mean "meticulously script/film and edit" :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm all i need is the timeline, mixer functions and colour masking.
so long as it can import from other sources?
Oh yeah, it seems to be fine bringing in already-recorded video...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

....and Ive finally sussed out how to mix two spout inputs in MAX and send them back out to a new spout stream; totally misunderstood what was going on in the examples.

btw anyone else find it suspicious that the poll results for 'no' and 'fish' are increasing in exact lock-step and yet there's only been one person actually posted in the thread saying 'no'.

sockpuppets from that one guy?

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:44 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm all i need is the timeline, mixer functions and colour masking.
Oh yeah, it seems to be fine bringing in already-recorded video...
:party: all good then!

and yup, suspicious votes are suspicious!

Aaaand now I have a cobbled-together wee standalone application made in MAX/MSP that will mix 3 Spout input streams and a video camera input stream, each with a 0-100% fader, into a new Spout output stream.
Anyone want a copy? Not sure if I'll do much more with it for a while; a proof of concept basically, so no support...

Well I would say that for anyone using hardware synths at least, having a hardware video synth is super cool. Something about having the video output to an old lcd monitor or something while you are creating your sounds definitely adds something to the creative process. It maybe a sensation somewhat like synethstesia or just an old school acid trip, whatever it is, seeing the stuff over your computer after the fact is definitely going to be lacking in comparison. Particularly when it comes to modular and the cv control aspect. :shrug:

I only wish I had another 4 or 5 displays in my room and maybe some dancing girls... :party:

What the world really needs is a DA/VW (Digital Audio/Video Workstation) — all the features of a traditional DAW plus much of the functionality of VJ mixing software but geared toward recording video tracks rather than live performance, plus traditional video editing capabilities and effects. Yep.

guitarzan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:25 am What the world really needs is a DA/VW (Digital Audio/Video Workstation) — all the features of a traditional DAW plus much of the functionality of VJ mixing software but geared toward recording video tracks rather than live performance, plus traditional video editing capabilities and effects. Yep.
Have you tried Usine Hollyhock? I have version 3, but have yet to upgrade it to the current version.
It's quite powerful, but a bit weird to use as well.

https://www.brainmodular.com/usine.php

vurt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:26 pm by throw together, i of course mean "meticulously script/film and edit" :lol:
That's what I mean when I use that expression, also.

iow: look what I managed to come up with spending every waking hour for several days (to a week or more), that someone who knows what they are doing could have done in 5-10 minutes average, with stuff they use everyday. :D
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 am Have you tried Usine Hollyhock?
That seems capable of all of that and more, but it looks like something that would require a lot of prior experience and knowledge to even know where to begin.

A little overwhelming for me, too DIY — I just heard of Spout, what, two days ago in this thread? It looks like something to aspire to, but it would probable easier for me to just face facts and trudge on, app to app to app…

I’m not ready to jump on any of this right now anyway, this thread just came up when it did so I thought I should take advantage and begin gathering information. I was still just in the early planning stages of my “build a personal creative music environment that does surround and visuals and everything plus kicks out videos” idea.

Spent about six months learning enough about cameras to buy a few, still trying lenses and stuff. I’ve worked in engineering since I was 17, the planning is just as much fun as building and using to me.

guitarzan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:34 am Spent about six months learning enough about cameras to buy a few, still trying lenses and stuff. I’ve worked in engineering since I was 17, the planning is just as much fun as building and using to me.
Indeed. 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 am
guitarzan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:25 am What the world really needs is a DA/VW (Digital Audio/Video Workstation) — all the features of a traditional DAW plus much of the functionality of VJ mixing software but geared toward recording video tracks rather than live performance, plus traditional video editing capabilities and effects. Yep.
Have you tried Usine Hollyhock? I have version 3, but have yet to upgrade it to the current version.
It's quite powerful, but a bit weird to use as well.

https://www.brainmodular.com/usine.php
That's actually pretty interesting. I have never really looked into Usine, though I knew it was flexible and powerful, as I thought it was mainly used by people with a lot of touch sensors, and interactive midi stuff. Setting it up specifically for doing video does not appear that complex, though it is certainly more so than I need to do, for what I want to do.

https://www.brainmodular.com/manuals/hh ... sine/video

And it has a lot of video processing add-ons pre-configured :

https://www.brainmodular.com/manuals/hh ... ules/video

Usine is super interesting imho, you just have to be able to wrap your head around it.
It's not difficult to use, but it is a bit of a departure from the usual linear paradigm
that we are all used to in a DAW. Compositions can be a lot more artsy fartsy in Usine.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:49 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 pmFrom what I've seen it's definitely designed to work in conjunction with the hardware,
It kinda seems its also designed to not work with non-proprietary hardware, ie I couldnt see any way of capturing for a 'regular' windows video input as I can do easily in Vegas, just BMD cameras.
Yes, Resolve only records/captures video using its proprietary UltraStudio hardware, which is meant for high resolution broadcast quality production(s), though it also supports lower res (SD/HD) consumer levels. Of note however, is that the hardware is designed to integrate with most of the popular and familiar windows and mac video editing software apps, so it's not exclusively hardwired to only use Resolve.

(aside) You can record audio directly into Resolve from what ever input/source you choose (just like any DAW), and it hosts Vst effects.

(aside #2) Contour Design's Shuttle Pro works flawlessly with Resolve, and is a Godsend for timeline editing.

You can easily import (including drag-n-drop directly onto the timeline), as that is what it is designed to do. :wink: There are numerous youtube vids on using it with OBS. :tu:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”