Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
34
54%
No.
16
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
13
21%
 
Total votes: 63

KVRAF
6862 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 pm

vurt wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:59 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:22 am
Shabdahbriah wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 pm
iow: look what I managed to come up with spending every waking hour for several days (to a week or more), that someone who knows what they are doing could have done in 5-10 minutes average, with stuff they use everyday. :D
Yup, pretty much fits here.
i doubt mine will be that good! :lol:
lots of overusing time stretching and crappy looking green screen :lol:
Sooo, basically your going for that herb-enhanced masterfully under produced 'out-takes' vibe. Cool. :party:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

User avatar
KVRAF
4116 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:06 pm

an-electric-heart wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:50 pm

I do video and photography. I do a lot of bands, so I'm getting pretty good at filming in pretty dark places. If you've got a good camera it's ok. A cheap camera will just be all noise.

Alright! a knowledgeable video guy :clap: Welcome to the thread. Nice job on the video btw. :tu:

User avatar
KVRian
1327 posts since 3 Sep, 2005 from Outer Bongolia

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:14 pm

pekbro wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:39 pm
Yeah I dunno, my experience is not with digital photography so I dunno what you can accomplish with CCDs these days. Anyway it sounds like quite a production. I would do it with software if it were me, but I'm lazy. :)
Yeah, it’s way too much trouble for a video, but this whole thing is intended to be somewhat permanent— the “set” will be my new personal home studio, the stuff being projected will be all prerecorded classic hippy lightshow elements playing along and interacting with NestDrop and whatever other visualizers I scrounge, video synths or whatever, and I’ll tweak that stuff as I go, record some audio, fart around with video, have fun.

So I’ll have complete control over every aspect of what is being projected, full control over the room darkness, and control over the camera, including lens choice, and then it’s going to probably end up at least 10 or 12 bit raw (I’m pretty sure it can even do 14 bit raw in some modes) depending on the Magic Lantern settings - so a lot of control post (this is what Resolve is all about).

There has got to be a way to make it work, and once I figure it out it’ll just keep right on working until a component fails.

User avatar
KVRAF
4116 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:22 pm

guitarzan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:14 pm
Yeah, it’s way too much trouble for a video, but this whole thing is intended to be somewhat permanent— the “set” will be my new personal home studio, the stuff being projected will be all prerecorded classic hippy lightshow elements playing along and interacting with NestDrop and whatever other visualizers I scrounge, video synths or whatever, and I’ll tweak that stuff as I go, record some audio, fart around with video, have fun.

So I’ll have complete control over every aspect of what is being projected, full control over the room darkness, and control over the camera, including lens choice, and then it’s going to probably end up at least 10 or 12 bit raw (I’m pretty sure it can even do 14 bit raw in some modes) depending on the Magic Lantern settings - so a lot of control post (this is what Resolve is all about).

There has got to be a way to make it work, and once I figure it out it’ll just keep right on working until a component fails.
There is always a way to make it work, you only need a clear vision, the wherewithal to
find it and the dedication to actually do it. :tu:

User avatar
KVRAF
2373 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:34 pm

I play with this guy sometimes. He has visualizations for his whole set, I'd like to sort something like this for my music. Especially for electronic music I think it's a pretty good idea to use projections and put on a bit more of a show and put more stuff on stage for people to look at. He runs the video out of the same computer that's running has audio though, so I don't really like the idea of that... I feel it's just one more thing to go wrong and crash your computer in the middle of a set, computers are fickle enough at the best of times!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNNpKpjcpdc

User avatar
KVRAF
4116 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:11 pm

^^ That's Cool, I bet that's not a cheap projector. Hopefully SEGA doesn't see that and get upset about it. :lol:

User avatar
KVRian
1327 posts since 3 Sep, 2005 from Outer Bongolia

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 pm

An easier alternative to projection if possible would be some kind of budget version of a video wall, like they use for light shows nowadays.

The cohost of Psychedelic Light Show Review, Chris Samardizch (Brotherhood of Light, toured with the Almond Brothers for 20 years), mentioned on the show that he thought that they actually hung rear screen projector material in front of the newest led panels because they were so bright — now if there was a large high resolution monitor or tv bright enough to rear screen project an inch or two that didn’t cost thousands, then that would work great I think. Hide the pixels, Knock down the digital sharpness on the visualizer stuff, still letting a little mist in…

Probably no such luck, so multiple older lower res Epson projectors or a couple used short throw BenQs or something like that would probably be the cheapest route that would still look good and be and easily replaceable. Lots more room taken up though, and would probably work best with projector mapping software.
Last edited by guitarzan on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
4116 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:45 pm

IME The Salvation Army is a good place to look for used lcd monitors for cheap. Not that I ever did that, but my buddy used to check them every morning. Likely he still does. Generally I don't like used stuff. Anyway, like $10 a piece. Dunno if there is one of those where u live.

*Also I never needed a bunch of displays at the same time.

User avatar
Beware the Quoth

Topic Starter

29903 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:34 am

guitarzan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 pm
plus I want to add real mist, fog, and moving lumia
but this whole thing is intended to be somewhat permanent— the “set” will be my new personal home studio,
dont forget to check out the health and safety implicatiibs of stuff like smoke projectors (ie glycol vapour seems to be quite unpleasant actually) plus anything water based (you said 'mist' and I thought 'foggers') around electronics.
successfully and consistently snarky

User avatar
KVRAF
2373 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:10 am

pekbro wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:11 pm
^^ That's Cool, I bet that's not a cheap projector. Hopefully SEGA doesn't see that and get upset about it. :lol:
I've got two projectors, one's a "short throw" that I planned to use if I ever do visuals, but maybe it's a New Zealand thing (where I live), but most live music venues seem to have projectors already set up like that ready to go. They have lights, a P.A and a projector. :phones:

User avatar
KVRian
1327 posts since 3 Sep, 2005 from Outer Bongolia

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:23 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:34 am
guitarzan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 pm
plus I want to add real mist, fog, and moving lumia
but this whole thing is intended to be somewhat permanent— the “set” will be my new personal home studio,
dont forget to check out the health and safety implicatiibs of stuff like smoke projectors (ie glycol vapour seems to be quite unpleasant actually) plus anything water based (you said 'mist' and I thought 'foggers') around electronics.
Oh, yeah… the “mist” would just be fog pushed through fans, and all that smoke and mirrors stuff would probably mostly be running just for filming my class-A#1 B-roll type crapola. And maybe like some kind of final run through… I’m thinking it’s like tens of minutes at a time, not hours and hours. Then vent.

Edit: plus I still have about 200 KN95 respirator masks on hand. Something I’ll probably keep in stock just in case.

User avatar
KVRAF
4116 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:15 pm

A quick Ray Marching demo in EchoBit Viz, ported from shader toy. Kinda neat...

https://vimeo.com/584092673

KVRAF
6862 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:24 pm

guitarzan wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:23 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:34 am
guitarzan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:25 pm
plus I want to add real mist, fog, and moving lumia
but this whole thing is intended to be somewhat permanent— the “set” will be my new personal home studio,
dont forget to check out the health and safety implicatiibs of stuff like smoke projectors (ie glycol vapour seems to be quite unpleasant actually) plus anything water based (you said 'mist' and I thought 'foggers') around electronics.
Oh, yeah… the “mist” would just be fog pushed through fans, and all that smoke and mirrors stuff would probably mostly be running just for filming my class-A#1 B-roll type crapola. And maybe like some kind of final run through… I’m thinking it’s like tens of minutes at a time, not hours and hours. Then vent.

Edit: plus I still have about 200 KN95 respirator masks on hand. Something I’ll probably keep in stock just in case.
Just for the record: THIS is a "respirator"
Respirator Mask.png
A properly fitted mask, and the right 'filters' would give you protection against the known respiratory irritants present in artificial fog. (full stop)

This (prior to 'covid') was commonly referred to as a 'dust mask', it is not a "respirator".
dust mask.png
[2c]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

User avatar
KVRian
1327 posts since 3 Sep, 2005 from Outer Bongolia

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Not that I give a flip, but according to the FDA:
An N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device designed to achieve a very close facial fit and very efficient filtration of airborne particles.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/per ... face-masks

KVRAF
6862 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:55 pm

guitarzan wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:37 pm
Not that I give a flip, but according to the FDA:
An N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device designed to achieve a very close facial fit and very efficient filtration of airborne particles.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/per ... face-masks
I'm intimately familiar with the regulatory requirements (and short-comings) of industrial and medical grade PPE, and what has been pushed-through by the FDA under "emergency-use" conditions and guidelines, as a result of shortages.

The point was to help/encourage you to assess the potential health hazards of glycol vapour, which are well known and documented.

... carry-on.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”