Why you left Bitwig?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On a side note, I downloaded and tried Bitwig 4 on an M1 iMac. Pretty darn snappy.

sQeetz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:14 pm
EnGee wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:06 pm
sQeetz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:12 pm
EnGee wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:08 pmI haven't noticed this before! Is it a Mac only bug? I'll give it try on Linux/Windows and see.
I think it's Mac only. Don't know if it also happens with Intel Macs, though.
Yes, it happens with all plugins, but... It is only if the plugin window is not active! When the Plugin windows is active, it is "normal". Actually, it might be good because it tells me that the window is not active ;)
It wouldn't bother me that much if that was the case. ;) If you watch the small clip I posted a few posts ago, you can see that I click on the plugin (to make it active) click on a knob and move it a little bit and still the mouse pointer icon changes to whatever is beneath the plugin window when hovering around the plugin window.
I have seen your video. It is really strange! I don't have such behaviour!! I mean after making the window active, it behaves normal. For the reference, I have OS 11.4 on MacBook Air and Bitwig 4.01. RePro is VST 3 (tested). I also tested Padshop 2 (vst 3 not native) and DuneCM (Vst 2 non native) and all behaved the same as I mentioned. As soon as I click anywhere in the window, the cursor turns to the default arrow and keeps this way till I click outside the window.

me too, bitwig 4 on m1 is nice !

Tried and bought BitWig 4.

This comparison is mostly with my two main DAWs, FL and Live.

Dropped because

+ mostly because of the lack of integration of Ctrl+Z into VST undo. Live and FL do it, and I'm too used to it by now.
+ the lack of scale highlighting (FL and Live do it)
+ lack of clips alias (only FL does it, but I love it for it)

I took another look and it was snappy, and didn't hear any audio glitches, but the CPU usage was well over 50% for the demo song. Not sure what it would be on Intel, but I was a bit surprised it was that high.

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:33 pm I took another look and it was snappy, and didn't hear any audio glitches, but the CPU usage was well over 50% for the demo song. Not sure what it would be on Intel, but I was a bit surprised it was that high.
On my intel laptop it's kinda heavy as well Though on my desktop it's kinda a joke to run but that's also a R7 3700X running the show at 4.2GHz
Would be shocked if it had issues
Both ran on my desktop at 10-13%
My tiny small thing I made on my laptop which wasnt all that crazy ran at 40% on it. Granted it's just an i5 7th gen but still, ableton Live 11 runs like butter

I’m running BWS in a surface pro and it’s slightly better than Ableton.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Audio editing is still a nightmare in Bitwig. I totally dislike the audio object model of having clips within clips, everything becomes a hassle. Once you've edited audio on something really fast like Reaper, this just becomes a dealbreaker. Love the Bitwig modulation tho, no other DAW does it as well.

Liero wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 am Audio editing is still a nightmare in Bitwig. I totally dislike the audio object model of having clips within clips, everything becomes a hassle. Once you've edited audio on something really fast like Reaper, this just becomes a dealbreaker. Love the Bitwig modulation tho, no other DAW does it as well.
It's still miles better than Live though, which is it's closest competitor. Audio editing is not likely to ever match Reaper, Cubase, Studio One and other tape-recorder style DAWs, but it's serviceable and Bitwig is light years ahead in other areas, like modulation. It's always going to be a balancing act. If any DAW did everything well,we'd still be here complaining because it would be a cumbersome, bloated nightmare :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:15 am
Liero wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 am Audio editing is still a nightmare in Bitwig. I totally dislike the audio object model of having clips within clips, everything becomes a hassle. Once you've edited audio on something really fast like Reaper, this just becomes a dealbreaker. Love the Bitwig modulation tho, no other DAW does it as well.
It's still miles better than Live though, which is it's closest competitor. Audio editing is not likely to ever match Reaper, Cubase, Studio One and other tape-recorder style DAWs, but it's serviceable and Bitwig is light years ahead in other areas, like modulation. It's always going to be a balancing act. If any DAW did everything well,we'd still be here complaining because it would be a cumbersome, bloated nightmare :lol:
I must agree on the modulations vs Live and some other audio editing features but I’m having problems with BW when it comes to be accurate with the Onsets (Live is way more accurate) and the inability to insert Warp Markers to the whole selected area, at once, and subsequently Quantize the audio with it avoiding Slice/Quantize (and Legato? which adds unwanted audio sections back) and leaving me with undesired slice material.

Loving the rest but miles ahead? No yet.
I’m importing tons of unfinished material from Live to give it a new life based on BW workflow and tools but the above is a serious issue no to discard lightly.

Doing so is definitely a pledge to turn a blind eye just to have a personal winner in a fight.
Last edited by Biscotto on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Liero wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 amAudio editing is still a nightmare in Bitwig. I totally dislike the audio object model of having clips within clips, everything becomes a hassle.
Just bounce-in-place the clip (I believe Ctrl+B is the default?) after you've joined several audio events together and then it's one continuous clip (like Live's Ctrl+J).

That should solve it and there's multitude of benefits to having audio events within a clip, biggest of them being the ability to acutally edit audio directly in the Clip Launcher! Having to drag out a clip to Arrangement and back in order to cut, reverse, stretch, etc. a partion of it is a ridiculous "workflow". Plus the new Operators work on audio events as if they were MIDI notes, so that's awesome for glitchy stuff on-the-fly.
Last edited by antic604 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Biscotto wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:06 am
I must agree on the modulations vs Live and some other audio editing features but I’m having problems with BW when it comes to be accurate with the Onsets (Live is way more accurate) and the inability to insert Warp Markers to the whole selected area, at once, and subsequently Quantize the audio with it avoiding Slice/Quantize (and Legato? which adds unwanted audio sections back) and leaving me with undesired slice material.

I’m importing tons of unfinished material from Live to give it a new life based on BW workflow and tools but the above is a serious issue no to discard lightly.

Doing so is definitely a pledge to turn a blind eye just to have a personal winner in a fight.
This is my bias creeping in here. Bounce in place, slice in place, cursor tools, multiclip fades on the same channel and container clips for audio make it "miles ahead" for me personally. I agree that the warping in Bitwig isn't as good as Live and if you're workflow is reliant on this, I can understand Bitwig feeling inferior. Thanks for keeping me in check :)
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:14 pm
Biscotto wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:06 am

This is my bias creeping in here. Bounce in place, slice in place, cursor tools, multiclip fades on the same channel and container clips for audio make it "miles ahead" for me personally. I agree that the warping in Bitwig isn't as good as Live and if you're workflow is reliant on this, I can understand Bitwig feeling inferior. Thanks for keeping me in check :)
Sorry, I didn’t mean to police your post. I’m aware of the Bitwig audio innovations over Live and I’m enjoying the hell out of it. For now I use Live on Clips if I feel is too much work to do it in BW.

Sometimes I just pull a sample from BW browser into the timeline and it doesn’t match the declared tempo and I’m wondering (a fraction of a beat here and there plus the Onset are off as well).

I’m getting used to the Clip Container concept.

One thing I would like to see is a function to be repeated by just holding down the key such as Ctrl+D rather then once per duplicate.

I did left Bitwig long ago but v4 was worth another look and I have no problem using it in conjunction with Live.

Funny how different people like different stuff.

Back when I used Live, I used Reaper for audio editing.

Since switching to Bitwig, I no longer use Reaper at all. I love the Bitwig audio object model with audio events inside the clip. One of the best features of Bitwig IMO. And now it is especially fantastic since V4 because of the new Comping, Operators and Expression Randomization and how it all works together.

I'm having more fun with audio editing in Bitwig 4 than I ever have in any other application.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:16 pmsince V4 because of the new Comping, Operators and Expression Randomization and how it all works together.
This is exactly what I’m digging ATM and why I’m importing unfinished material from Live, and just over the weekend, I’ve got stuff, I was stuck with, becoming new tracks. :phones:

Ok, this is supposed to be Why I Left topic...
But I guess why I came back is the reason I left :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”