DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am Thanks for the reply Richard, for me personally... Drag & Drop isn't something I've personally felt as being of a hindrance with there being a way to assign controls, but I see the benefits in making the GUI slicker in not having to bring up a long white menu if one doesn't want to.

I look forward to the browser update, I just hope patch name visibility at all times is one of the things included in some way, like I illustrated. I've used Hive for 6 years and Rapid for a few now too so for me and I imagine many others, this feature is above that of a big browser page of patches which does take a few more seconds to visually process and select things in any case.
I like the idea, not sure though how much work it would be to re-arrange all skins in this manner, while making sure it still looks as good as now (or better). :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

AnX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:21 pm That could be months at the very least, maybe over a year.....
And it might not be that long. We'd both be speculating. Regardless of the time frame before the new version drops I'm just trying to save the guy some work if he's doing a complete redesign.

No point doing it all then doing it all over again depending on what changes are made. I'm sure my edits of the factory skins will be broken and that's fine it's happened many times before with new versions.

But I'm not doing a "complete new reskinned design" just editing colors and moving a few elements around so it's an easy task to fix when a new version drops.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Haven't seen him do much different really...so far.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:05 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am Currently working on a complete new reskinned design
You might want to hold off working with the current GUI as I'm sure there will be additions and probably changes due to the announced new preset browser and quite possibly with the drag and drop system as well.

I'd hate to see you put in a lot of work only to have to do it all over again when the new version drops.
I don't think skin designs people have made will be affected much at all unlike U-HE's synths like Hive for example where there is far more dramatic changes made in design, layout and technicalities relating to the visibility of elements you can select which affect the sounds you produce.

Drag and Drop is going to target the relevant GUI elements such as knobs and buttons based upon their position set in the co-ordinates by that of the script. If the existing script is changed such as with an additional button, all one needs to do is copy the script element to display it in the appropriate position, whilst functionality is handled on Richards side. Hive in comparison is far more complex in the form of property script for the function of elements that are difficult to identify with no identification.

The browser Richard plans for would follow in the same way other elements are controlled, vie a button press. Graphically, there would be new elements, such as new background panes and perhaps buttons. This would be optional in changing those... The changes made by Richard would be minimal to adapt to in comparison to that of having to accommodate to the different GUI sizes. I use 1440p resolution so I plan on just sticking to the Huge Size only. I can simply switch to an alternate skin should I go down to 1080p.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:11 pm I don't think skin designs people have made will be affected much
Too early to tell. I've been around DUNE since version one and have seen many changes to the gui, some large some small.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:11 pmDrag and Drop is going to target the relevant GUI elements such as knobs and buttons based upon their position set in the co-ordinates by that of the script.
The question is how will connections that don't have on-gui elements such as those shown below be handled if at all?

D3 080421-1.png

Drag and Drop requires a point on the GUI to drag from and a point on the GUI to drop to and none of the Sources shown above have a point on the GUI. You'd need to select them from the Mod Matrix as is done now so it's not clear if Synapse will add a way to D&D those connections and if so will that require additions to the current GUI.

People are asking for favorites etc for the new Browser so it's far too early to tell what the changes and additions to the current GUI's there will be but I'm just trying to give you a heads up that significant changes could be coming. Again too early to tell.

But if you feel that working on a whole new gui design before those changes are made makes sense then by all means do carry on....there is always room for more skins. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think a patch browser should not affect skinning too much. D&D just requires a rectangle to drag from, we have not decided yet if that will be a new little icon or simply the destination rectangle that already exists.

But regardless Teksonik is right, to be safe it is better to wait ;)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:59 am I think a patch browser should not affect skinning too much. D&D just requires a rectangle to drag from, we have not decided yet if that will be a new little icon or simply the destination rectangle that already exists.

But regardless Teksonik is right, to be safe it is better to wait ;)

Richard
Hi, I have one idea to help the workflow (not sure if it is possible to make):
-give easy/fast volume control for each layer (maybe it could be on the "active/edit" section or on the "voices solo" section?).
VOLUME copy.jpg
Maybe something like this (2 options here, on the "voices solo" section I demoed the option where you could just drag the volume inside the voice slot - or then other option to put the volume control next to the voice slot like in the "active/edit" section in the picture).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Independent filter assignment for each oscillator please !

That would make DUNE 3 so much more versatile....

I've only been asking for that since it was released :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:29 am Independent filter assignment for each oscillator please !

That would make DUNE 3 so much more versatile....

I've only been asking for that since it was released :)
Richard wrote:Yes it would add flexibility, but then you have to program the routing each time, and it requires additional sound parameters, increasing overall complexity. At the end of the day, a synthesizer has to balance ease of use and flexibility. If adding flexibility was the ultimate design goal, then Dune 3 would have to turn into a modular system of sorts. Which is not a bad idea, but that would be a rather new, unrelated project I think ;)

Overall we believe Dune 3 is already very powerful with its current feature set though. Take the Thunderstorm patch Kevin made for World of Cinematic 2, for instance. That is pretty amazing with no samples used, you can even tweak the rain in realtime via the mod wheel. There is so much that can be done already, I'm honestly not sure adding a bunch more features or routings changes that much. And any feature that is only needed 1% of the time, tends to get in the way the remaining 99% of the time when you don't need it.

Separate filter routings WOULD be a very useful !
No auto tune...

Why not use different voices for different filter routings?
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

I'm a single page dude :)
No auto tune...

I'm sure you're capable of stretching to two :)
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/

Here's a simple patch where osc1 goes through filter 1 and osc2 goes through filter2 using voice assignments for osc volume in the mod matrix and where everything can be done from one page. All that's different between the two voices is the filter balance.
MH Independent Filters.zip

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:11 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:05 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am Currently working on a complete new reskinned design
You might want to hold off working with the current GUI as I'm sure there will be additions and probably changes due to the announced new preset browser and quite possibly with the drag and drop system as well.

I'd hate to see you put in a lot of work only to have to do it all over again when the new version drops.
I don't think skin designs people have made will be affected much at all unlike U-HE's synths like Hive for example where there is far more dramatic changes made in design, layout and technicalities relating to the visibility of elements you can select which affect the sounds you produce.

Drag and Drop is going to target the relevant GUI elements such as knobs and buttons based upon their position set in the co-ordinates by that of the script. If the existing script is changed such as with an additional button, all one needs to do is copy the script element to display it in the appropriate position, whilst functionality is handled on Richards side. Hive in comparison is far more complex in the form of property script for the function of elements that are difficult to identify with no identification.

The browser Richard plans for would follow in the same way other elements are controlled, vie a button press. Graphically, there would be new elements, such as new background panes and perhaps buttons. This would be optional in changing those... The changes made by Richard would be minimal to adapt to in comparison to that of having to accommodate to the different GUI sizes. I use 1440p resolution so I plan on just sticking to the Huge Size only. I can simply switch to an alternate skin should I go down to 1080p.
Maybe you should offer SA your services, as you seem to be an expert on the subject, and how their code works. I'm sure they would appreciate some help...

Return to “Instruments”