How to merge midi with Linnstrument, Touchosc and Ableton

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I rebuilt my setup recently and want to run a bunch of stuff at once:

My Beastep Pro controls a drumcomputer and some hardware monosynths, all on separate MIDI channels. All audio and midi is recorded in Ableton on separate tracks.

This is the easy part: set a synth to receive on a certain MIDI-channel and voilà, it works.

Now I want to control an MPE softsynth with my Linnstrument and ALSO control this same synth with Touchosc on my iPad... Now I cannot just set these to the same MIDI channel since MPE uses multiple channels...

I think I should merge the MIDI from the Linnstrument and from my iPad app before it goes into Ableton, so I then can select this new MIDI source on my softsynth track.

Who has solved this and what is the solution?

I 'm open to both hard- and software solutions. Software should run on a Mac.

All the best,

Jef

What about 2 instances of the same plugin?

TouchOSC sends OSC instead of Midi. That should not interfere. As far as I know Live supports OSC, at least Max4Live does. It should be straight to combine incoming Midi from the LinnStrument with the OSC messages in a Max4Live device and send them combined as Midi messages to your synth…

So the idea is that I play notes on the Linnstrument and use Touchosc to control parameters on the synth. The idea is to use them both, at the same time, to control one synth.

Touchosc uses Touchosc-bridge to convert Osc to MIDI.

Unfortunately I do not know how to make MAX patches so I am looking for a simpler solution.

Since live now has built in MPE, can’t you just set the track with the Virtual instrument to receive all?

GruvSyco wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 pm Since live now has built in MPE, can’t you just set the track with the Virtual instrument to receive all?
Since I have other MIDI input sources connected, this would not work.

I found a solution though:

1 midi track is set to receive from Linnstrument, a second track to receive from TOUCHOSC. Both these tracks then send their MIDI to a 3rd track, which is set to receive from "no input". On this 3rd MIDI-track I can place an MPE synth that now receives from 2 different sources, without receiving from other sequencers etc.

It is a bit clumsy to have 3 tracks for one instrument, so I am still on the lookout for a way to merge the MIDI data BEFORE it comes into Ableton.

My secret consultant Google told me something about MidiPipe, which can merge Midi streams…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:16 am My secret consultant Google told me something about MidiPipe, which can merge Midi streams…
Soooooo, MidiPipe works: it merges multiple MIDI sources nicely to a single bus.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”