Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:05 am
TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:00 amAs for windows, I might tend to it sometime, but its not high on my priorities list right now. The main work doesn't arise from changing the directory, but from making the installers migrate patches from the old location to the new one, which is always a PITA. Otherwise people will loose their presets.
In Surge, we handle this simply by scanning all the old paths for content, but only the latest one we decided on gets used for newly saved presets. This absolves you from installer shenanigans to move the user content to another location (instead can just notify the users that the new path is xyz, old one was abc, and that they should move the content themselves in order to have it in one place).
Ah! This is probably a better solution, although it comes with its own challenges. But ultimately, it is a solution which is platform independent. I'll probably go this route once I touch the subject again, thanks for letting me know :tu:

Paul Eye wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 am And yes, 2 clicks versus 22 clicks to get to the last chipdraw shape (from sine) definitely is a usability improvement :D
Fun fact: You could have gotten away with one click, even before the dropdown. The display can be dragged much like a knob to scroll through values.

I had forgotten this myself and only found it yesterday while digging through the code tho, so probably not the most obvious feature. :lol:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:07 pm Fun fact: You could have gotten away with one click, even before the dropdown. The display can be dragged much like a knob to scroll through values.

I had forgotten this myself and only found it yesterday while digging through the code tho, so probably not the most obvious feature. :lol:
Oh heh, obviously not something I'd intuitively look for :hihi:

This actually works for the pitchbend range value box too :)

Version 2.3 is online
As usual, you can find it on my website. This is probably the biggest update the synth has had so far. Here are a few highlights of this version:

New Reverb Module
reverb.png
This reverb is sourced from zita-rev1, which was previously only available on linux as a JACK application. It has a cathedral style big hall and suits the synth well I think.
Sidenote: A standalone version of this reverb is also in the works, with more exposed controls as to make it available to the world of modern music production.

Microtuning
tuning.png
You're now able to import and export .scl and .kbm files, to tune the synth in whatever way you see fit. You can do the usual semitone-shifts or real crazy stuff like making an octave seven semitones on your keyboard. To get started export the current tuning files, edit them and reimport them, or find tuning files online.

The biggest shoutout goes to Team Surge and their awesome FOSS tuning-library. This library made it real easy to implement this feature, not to mention the ever so generous support and patience by the Surge-folks. :clap:

ModMatrix Ranges
modamount.png
ModMatrix ranges are now in range [-300, 300]

Misc
- MIDI Breath (CC2) is now a modulation source
- LFO waves are now selectable from a dropdown menu, just click the selector
- FM and PM Osc ratio ranges increased to [1, 16]
- Init Patch now has Filter 1 fully open
- default GUI size is 150%
- factory patches are now contained within the binary and read-only
- manual was updated for Odin 2.3

Yet another shoutout to everybody in this thread and on Github beta testing the new version! :clap:

Full changelog:

Version 2.3.1
- LFO Waves now selectable from a dropdown
- reversed order of LFO waves to make them align with dropdown
- Debian package: fixed data file being owned by root (introduced in 2.3.0)

Version 2.3.0
- new FX Module: Reverb (sourced from zita-rev1)
- added microtuning functionality: Scala and KeyboardMapping files (Credits to Team Surge with their FOSS tuning library)
- Added MIDI Breath (CC 2) as modulation source- ModMatrix amounts now range up to [-300, 300]
- FM- PM Osc ratio ranges increased to [1,16]
- Init Patch now has the LP-Filter fully open- default GUI size is now 150%
- Retrig playmode now restarts the ADSR Attack from the current value, rather than zero- added indicator triangles to dropdowns to make them more visible
- factory presets are now contained in the binary
- all paths opened with patchbrowsers are now remembered after reopening plugin and shared among different plugin instances
- fixed Filters not being modulatable beyond +150 in modmatrix
- renamed debian package from odin to odin2-synth to avoid conflicts with repositories
- linux: removed unnessecary dependency to libcurl4
- linux: enabled link-time optimization
- created Azure-CI pipelines for Ubuntu-18.04, MacOs 10.14 and Windows2019 to create installers automatically- updated Manual to 2.3.0
- update to JUCE 6.0.8
- major code cleanup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Finally! Been looking forward to that one, awesome. :)

Nice!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Thanks! One of the best is just getting better :)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:25 pm
wonderful!
thank you!

some ideas:

1)
TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:25 pm Microtuning
any chance of support for MTS-ESP ODDsound tuning system ?

https://oddsound.com/
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=563023

2)
a previous/next button for the preset library would be great
and/or the possibilty to scroll through presets with the arrow-keys (in focused pluginwindow)

3)
in the preset library a "reveal in finder" would be cool
so we easily can locate where those sounds are on the computer
for example with a ctrl-click/right-click shortcut

Fantastic! Thank you so much for all your work Wavewarden.

Great update !!! Thanks a lot Fred :)

Thank you for your efforts, great work!

I guess this is as good as any time to announce that I am working on yet another synthesizer.

It's not Odin 3, but a completely different beast. I'm trying to go down a more "modern" route this time, both in terms of UI as well as synthesis approach. The synth is based around the concept of wave-morphing :D

Forgive the pescy gif quality:
ezgif-3-28a76efd0f84.gif

If you want to be kept in the loop regarding updates on this instrument, consider following my twitter :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cool! Looking forward to the new "modern" synth. :tu:

Anyway I'm getting a lot of pops on note re-trigger with this patch. Can you take a look at it ?

The settings are similar to those I've done many times in other synths.

Dual Rise 01 Tek.zip
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:51 pm Anyway I'm getting a lot of pops on note re-trigger with this patch. Can you take a look at it ?

The settings are similar to those I've done many times in other synths.
My guess is you're using polyphony? The patch you posted uses 6x Unison - this means a stack of 6 voices is triggered for each note. So if you play more than four notes (or have them in release), new voices will be stolen, since max voice count is 24. Hence the clicks.

I suggest using multiple instances or lowering unison count here :ud:

Return to “Instruments”