The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

farlukar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:08 am
Blaster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:28 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:55 pm So, the problem comes down to this: How to build an application for multiple Linux distributions from a single source--especially for commercial and closed source developers.
There's options like https://flatpak.org/ and https://snapcraft.io/
… or just use an installation script, like reaper does
This is the method I’m partial to as well.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

In response to a thread that has sadly been derailed and is now going completely off topic, I'm responding here, and directing those who are interested in continuing the Linux conversation to here. I will respond to their queries here.

Original thread (being derailed by Linux discussions):

viewtopic.php?p=8194941#p8194941

Post I'm responding to:
crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:32 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 pm If you choose compatible equipment for your OS, you won't have any more problems than with any other OS. Full Stop.
I would love to hook up my audio interface to a Linux OS, which is more important than a keyboard or a mouse, however, Focusrite doesn't offer drivers for Linux AFAIK. Quite a few companies offered drivers for Linux-based devices back in the day, in the early 2010s, now it's only a handful of them. Is this really a simple case of plug-n-play in the case of audio interfaces too? From what I've read, setting up an audio interface on a Linux OS is a pain in the butt, but whatever.
Linux doesn't do drivers the way Windows does. Drivers are mostly stored in the kernel or as loadable modules for that kernel. The newer the kernel, the more likely you are to have drivers that work on new hardware. As I mentioned in the other thread, most true class compliant USB audio interfaces will work, right out of the box. The easiest way to look for devices that are likely to work with Linux (when the manufacturers don't publicly announce support for Linux), is to either look for a list of supported devices, tested and known to work, or to look for devices that support iOS (iphones and ipads). The reason I mention that iOS supported devices are a good option, is that Apple is so strict with iOS device support, that in order for a device to work properly on iOS, the device must adhere very closely to the specs that define class compliancy.

Here's an example of a nice top of the line audio interface that is supported by Linux:

MOTU 112D Audio Interface

Here's a cheaper one:

MOTU UltraLite AVB Audio Interface

Here's a site with a list of some of the supported audio interfaces and further information and details about what to look for:

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Main_Page (Main page--Everything here is useful)

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Main (The actual list)

What is the specific make/model/generation of your audio interface that you are having a problem with? I bet we can figure out what is going on and possibly resolve your problem very easily. It may simply be that the kernel you were using when you tried to use Linux was just not new enough.

Also, there are several great resources where you can get help or ask questions. One is this thread at KVR.

Another is:

https://linuxmusicians.com/

Another great resource is:

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/start

A lot of times, when people are getting their feet wet with Linux, they just don't know where to start. That's why these resources are available. :-)

If you use Reaper, an excellent resource can be found here:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them. Everyone here is friendly and willing to help! :-)

Best,

Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Will study, thanks. :)

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:05 pm In response to a thread that has sadly been derailed and is now going completely off topic,
Good to have quality links that can reduce old thought patterns
based on ancient mis-information. Yes, the kvr 'Star Wars bar scene' can emerge in many topics. Maybe a forum called 'The parking lot' would be popular? :wink:

Hey everyone, I'm doing some research again for another project. This time, could you list what you consider to be the top commercial Linux-native plugin companies (instruments and/or effects)? Please rank them in order, starting with what you consider to be the absolute best commercial Linux plugin company. Please consider sound quality, reliability, company/product longevity, distro/product packaging support (ie install script for universal distro support, multiple distro binaries, single distro binary support, etc.), technical support (quality of communication, timeliness, speed of bug fixes, etc. Consider what makes you like a particular Linux Native plugin company the best, and then rank the companies below. Please try to rank at least five companies--ten or more would be best. Thank you!

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:05 pmThe easiest way to look for devices that are likely to work with Linux (when the manufacturers don't publicly announce support for Linux), is to either look for a list of supported devices, tested and known to work, or to look for devices that support iOS (iphones and ipads).
Why would anyone bother? The list of supported devices will undoubtedly be shorter than the list of unsupported devices for Windows.
I bet we can figure out what is going on and possibly resolve your problem very easily.
Yes, by installing Windows.
Also, there are several great resources where you can get help or ask questions.
Or you can just install Windows.
If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them. Everyone here is friendly and willing to help! :-)
Or you can just install Windows and not need to ask any questions.
glokraw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pmGood to have quality links that can reduce old thought patterns based on ancient mis-information. Yes, the kvr 'Star Wars bar scene' can emerge in many topics. Maybe a forum called 'The parking lot' would be popular? :wink:
What ancient misinformation? Does Studio One work on Linux? Do any of the plugins listed in my signature? Will my Roli Blocks have all the same functionality under Linux that they do with Windows?

Is there even a Window Manager that works like Start in Windows 10? I have 73 icons pinned to Start, all neatly categorised and arranged, in both size and position, so that they are all easy to find. Is there a Linux window manager that can do all that?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:33 am
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:05 pmThe easiest way to look for devices that are likely to work with Linux (when the manufacturers don't publicly announce support for Linux), is to either look for a list of supported devices, tested and known to work, or to look for devices that support iOS (iphones and ipads).
Why would anyone bother? The list of supported devices will undoubtedly be shorter than the list of unsupported devices for Windows.
I bet we can figure out what is going on and possibly resolve your problem very easily.
Yes, by installing Windows.
Also, there are several great resources where you can get help or ask questions.
Or you can just install Windows.
Or you can just install Windows and not need to ask any questions.
glokraw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pmGood to have quality links that can reduce old thought patterns based on ancient mis-information. Yes, the kvr 'Star Wars bar scene' can emerge in many topics. Maybe a forum called 'The parking lot' would be popular? :wink:
What ancient misinformation? Does Studio One work on Linux? Do any of the plugins listed in my signature? Will my Roli Blocks have all the same functionality under Linux that they do with Windows?

Is there even a Window Manager that works like Start in Windows 10? I have 73 icons pinned to Start, all neatly categorised and arranged, in both size and position, so that they are all easy to find. Is there a Linux window manager that can do all that?
You have established that windows is for you. Comments like this one in a Linux thread is just trolling Linux users.

Well you're the one that moved the "discussion" here, not me. obviously if you had an answer, you'd give it. Do you even know what a window manager is?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Imagine trolling for Bill “Hung out with Epstein” Gates.

I think you mean Bill "saves millions of lives in Africa every year through his philanthropy" Gates.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:53 am Well you're the one that moved the "discussion" here, not me. obviously if you had an answer, you'd give it. Do you even know what a window manager is?
Nope. Not at all.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:33 am Is there even a Window Manager that works like Start in Windows 10? I have 73 icons pinned to Start, all neatly categorised and arranged, in both size and position, so that they are all easy to find. Is there a Linux window manager that can do all that?
Yes, it's called Nuroerotic, by Prism Break.
It's sooo customizable! It'll give you tantrum shocks :shock: :tantrum: :shock:

Nothing shows up when I search, which I'm sure is part of a global conspiracy, and there is nothing on the Prism Break site, which looks like a place for the tin-foil hat brigade to hang out.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:33 am Is there even a Window Manager that works like Start in Windows 10? I have 73 icons pinned to Start, all neatly categorised and arranged, in both size and position, so that they are all easy to find. Is there a Linux window manager that can do all that?
I have 73 icons pinned to Start
what it looks like?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”