Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

I've been messing around with the demo for some time and i have to say, Viper sounds fantastic :)
IMO it's held back a little bit by the color/saturation choices in the original skin and would likely benefit from higher resolution GUI assets. I've been trying to modify the original skin a little bit and i wonder how you're supposed to manage the knobs, is there some way to automatically center and align them if i want to replace them? Seems like a crazy amount of work otherwise. I'm completely new to this obviously.

Well, everything is hard in the beginning if you are new to certain things. One can use the Knobman app to create knobs, or just do them manually in photoshop. To align the knobs just position the dials the same way as the original that can be used as a template.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

adamtrance wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:53 am Well, everything is hard in the beginning if you are new to certain things. One can use the Knobman app to create knobs, or just do them manually in photoshop. To align the knobs just position the dials the same way as the original that can be used as a template.
Thanks, gonna look into that. I tried borrowing the knobs from another well known VST just to see how it looked and IMO your original skin/design with a bit of color editing and better knobs blows away the competition. Spire etc doesn't even come close. Hopefully the image of the new paintjob attaches properly (standard knobs on this one though). Obviously i'm a bit biased here but...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cool, thats the reason for user skins, so everyone can change it the way they like ;)

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last thing i do is changing the skin,but this picture is inspiring - Viper could become amazing,if some designer or enthusiast made upgrade of knobs,color, so on...not that i really care much about how a synth look,if sounds amazing,just saying.
Cheers :)

adamtrance wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:34 pm Cool, thats the reason for user skins, so everyone can change it the way they like ;)
It's great! :tu: Is it alright if i upload the skin here (if i actually manage to finish it)? Obviously i won't include knobs from some other synth or anything like that.
Vortifex wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:44 pm Woah I like that, can I download it from somewhere? Also, is there a noobs guide somewhere for this stuff? I opened the skin file in GIMP but changing the skin looks way too complicated for a beginner.
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 pm Last thing i do is changing the skin,but this picture is inspiring - Viper could become amazing,if some designer or enthusiast made upgrade of knobs,color, so on...not that i really care much about how a synth look,if sounds amazing,just saying.
Cheers :)
I want to upload it but it's a work in progress really, it was just something that kinda appeared while i was messing around figuring out what i could do and not do. I ended up with a bunch of similar looking skins without proper names and small edits on one skin that doesn't exist on another and so on. The black beneath the logo is more or less a placeholder, i just feel like that part needs some "weight" especially when i made everything else darker. But really everything i did was very simple editing of the original skin like making stuff less saturated, changing the hue of the synth overall and changing the color of the displays etc.

I used Krita which is dumb because it's more for drawing/painting than anything else but it's what i had installed at the moment... I just started messing around and got drawn into it. I might try to do this properly with layers and stuff so i have some control over things. Just simple editing of a skin isn't that hard, making one from scratch however... If you just want to mess around with the general color/saturation etc just select everything except the colored squares with the text beside them, that's where the synth pulls the colors for stuff like text and the displays, you want to keep that separate, something i figured out the hard way :dog: You probably need to use some special kind of selection to keep everything selected while deselecting those color squares. Then use whatever hue and saturation settings you can find and try different things. There's loads of stuff like levels and color balance etc too.

Yes you may upload it its no problem. The skins are designed in a way that its very easy to modify with some basic Photoshop skills. Obviously if this is your first time it takes time to learn, just like with everything.

How the hell do you change the skin?

Alright folks, if anyone is interested, here's my take on the original skin. I probably have a bit more to say on this but for now i just want get the example and links posted. Hopefully the links work, best free file host i could find. There's two versions, one is cold and striking and the other is basically the same except you've spilled coffee and tea over it many times.

Blue:
https://mega.nz/file/A0AAWJBB#35SD9qIgY ... V-xu83-LOE

Orange:
https://mega.nz/file/YlQggDjK#9pSLeRl4b ... F3E9hYn-5Q
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sennerz wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:54 pm How the hell do you change the skin?
Put them in "Skins" folder in the Viper install folder and then change to them by clicking the arrow that points downward in Viper's menu/browser up in the middle.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:39 am I really like this blue one, although I personally find the contrast of the white around the dials a bit much. What specifically would I need to do to change them to another shade myself?
Thanks! Yeah i know i'm pushing it with the "contrast" on the blue one in particular but i feel it fits the theme of the synth (both the audio and the original skin). I would like to try to make something alot more subtle but that would likely require changing some of the textures and it would also clash with the logo which cannot be changed. Making completely new textures is intimidating :hihi:

To change the color of the knob light just follow the directions i gave in a post earlier, the color squares for it are the ones furthest to the left, and in that section it's the square furthest to the left you need to change, leave the others empty otherwise the light starts to looks like a lightsaber again, which IMO doesn't look great. You could just copy the ones from the Orange skin and put them on top if you simply want something warmer, or copy the ones from one of the original skins if you like those.

I had some slight success with making new knobs but it's going to require some further effort for sure.

I like blue one,but after two minutes using it cakewalk crash badly so return to default red one - that why don't like to change the skins but to deal with sound :)
Cheer :)

machine_spirit wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:29 am There's two versions, one is cold and striking and the other is basically the same except you've spilled coffee and tea over it many times.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Instruments”