Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

getdunne wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:47 pm
Fleer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am Waiting for AU as well, and for Unify to run M1 native. But I know PlugInGuru and Shane have a lot on their plate, so I’m patient. Unify is already incredible and will be even more so in the future. Kudos to both devs!
I'm very interested in Mac users' thoughts on this issue: Would a version of Unify that can only run ARM-ready VST/VST3 plug-ins be useful?
I'd rather you fix the AU scan issue so that Unify will actually work on macPOS before you go with M1. Why go M1 when AU doesn't work.

WARNING TO MAC USERS: AU scanning may not work in Unify so if you plan to use AU, at the moment it may not scan all your AUs. the only work-around I know of is using the VST/3's if you have it. On my system, the AU scanner will crash at some point in the scan. I've tried removing offending AUs as they crash but it crashes so often it was not possible. All my AUs scan fine with other apps that scan such as Logic, Reaper, Fidelia, Vox, SoundSource and others.

getdunne wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:47 pm
Fleer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am Waiting for AU as well, and for Unify to run M1 native. But I know PlugInGuru and Shane have a lot on their plate, so I’m patient. Unify is already incredible and will be even more so in the future. Kudos to both devs!

I'm very interested in Mac users' thoughts on this issue: Would a version of Unify that can only run ARM-ready VST/VST3 plug-ins be useful?

Most apps and plug-ins can be built as "universal binaries" (with both ARM and Intel versions in a single file), but this wouldn't work so well for Unify, because macOS doesn't provide an easy way to run the Intel version (using Rosetta 2) whenever you might need it. I would probably have to make separate "Unify" and "Unify-ARM" builds of the stand-alone, VST, VST3, and AU plug-ins--eight separate executables instead of four. On an M-series Mac, you would then choose the Intel version only if you need to load or create patches with at least one Intel-only VST or VST3 plug-in. Over time, as more and more companies update their plug-ins, you might do this less often, but for many people, there would always be one or two that you can't do without, and even one in a patch would mean you have to run in Intel/Rosetta mode.

My guess is this would get tiresome really quickly. What do folks think?
Sounds like a support nightmare, but John won't mind ;-)

Seriously though, as more Host applications become ARM ready I can see the benefit - maybe a Public Alpha with a big disclaimer "Intended for ARM-ready VST/VST3 plug-ins" so users can benchmark how many of their favorites have migrated to ARM. My guess is that these users are already there or will be in short order. I appreciate the challenge you're facing as Unify is both Host and Plug-in.

John has spent a fair amount of effort making the distinction VST allows for cross-platform compatibility for Guru sounds and made special effort to point out when to use VST3 in lieu of - in those instances where no VST2 is available. At this time, I can't see muddying the waters would be of benefit aside from the subset of users on the vanguard. This only my opinion.

As a Mac user I'm eager to move to M1 - maybe later this year - the handful of legacy AU plug-in that I retain are even seeing updates to AU/VST3 Universal Binary (I'm talking about Sinevibes, specifically) - patience is the key. Another year or two and the name players will have made the move to ARM.
"All persons living or dead are purely coincidental." - Vonnegut

From getdunne's article, the issue is fairly obvious:
An ARM version of Unify will only load ARM plug-ins. Because host and plug-in ISAs must match, you can either have Unify compiled for Intel, which can run every available plug-in, or Unify for ARM, which will only be able to load plug-ins which are also compiled for ARM. (Apple allows both Intel and ARM versions of an executable to be delivered in a single bundle called a "universal binary", which is why you don't see separate ARM-only versions of plug-ins, but this is just a bit of file-management trickery. There are separate Intel and ARM binaries hidden inside these bundles.)
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Unify 1.6.1 has been released. Free update for users.....

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-standard/

Hey there, my one grip with Unify is that it hijacks the space bar in Reaper so I can't start / stop the transport. Do you know of a way to fix this? Maybe there's a setting I'm missing.
Layer Enable / Disable is now possible by clicking the MIDI Activity light at the far Left of the Instrument and MIDI Effect Layers. These also show up now in the knob assignment list for easy assigning to any MIDI CC controller or Unify Macro Knob.
This is very cool. I was actually in the middle of working out how to do something like this in Reaper when the update email came in!

It would be great if we didn't have to use up a macro knob for this. But I guess with the dynamic parameter mapping Unify does, I don't know if it would be possible.

Variations on the other hand... that could be its own automatable parameter :) I'm sort of guessing that this text-file approach is a first pass at this, and that at some point you could define variations right in the patch?

So this is crazy, but maybe you'll consider it - what I'd love to see is two MIDI CCS for variation bank select, and variation select (or maybe parameter automation? because it can do more than 127?). The reason I'd like to do this is I want to define one "mega" unify patch that has a bunch of synth patches in it (20, 30, 50?) and then create hundreds of variations of them. So it's kind of like patch management, except I would have all those synth patches loaded up at once, they wouldn't load / unload like when switching unify patches. Then when producing, I'd just go through and automate the variation select. Again I'd want hundreds, rather than just a few, because this would be my "mega synth template" that I use for all productions.

Anyway I'm not sure if you / Skippy would have any interest in something like that, or how it would fit into Unify's design. But it's something I've wanted to set up for a long time now, and Unify seems like maybe the closest thing to getting there.

edit: by variations, I mean combinations of active unify layers. So selecting a variation would change the set of active layers, like how the current active layer toggling works. The newly inactive layers would continue to sound until they receive note-offs and their decay / FX end.

First time with this update, Bitdefender is not complaining about the file anymore and I could download from the main website without problem.

padillac wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:21 am Hey there, my one grip with Unify is that it hijacks the space bar in Reaper so I can't start / stop the transport. Do you know of a way to fix this? Maybe there's a setting I'm missing.
This happens when you have another window open, e.g. a plug-in GUI window. If you click in the main Unify GUI window to select it, your space-bar should work. (This may be DAW-dependent so I can't promise.)
It would be great if we didn't have to use up a macro knob for [selective layer enable].
You have up to 32 macro knobs by default, and you can increase the number of pages to expand to any number. How many do you expect to need in a patch?

For live use, you can also control layer enable using a MIDI Controller file, see https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual-1.6 ... ller-files
Variations on the other hand... that could be its own automatable parameter :)
That's exactly why we use macro knobs--so you can automate.
I'm sort of guessing that this text-file approach is a first pass at this, and that at some point you could define variations right in the patch?
Yes, using text files allows us to deliver this feature without needing to create a whole GUI for editing variations within Unify. In this first crude form, it's mainly intended for use with new patch libraries Skippy is making.
what I'd love to see is two MIDI CCS for variation bank select, and variation select...
This is the start of what could be a long conversation, which is better handled at our own user-forum https://forums.pluginguru.com.
by variations, I mean combinations of active unify layers. So selecting a variation would change the set of active layers, like how the current active layer toggling works. The newly inactive layers would continue to sound until they receive note-offs and their decay / FX end.
That's exactly how layer-toggling works. To see how variations can be defined as combinations of enabled layers, see this video: https://youtu.be/H7RLTVFkCRE?t=277, and/or this page in the Unify online manual: https://pluginguru.net/unify/manual-1.6 ... variations.

If anyone hasn’t got Unify yet or is looking for a nice Unify library, get $10 off with this code at PlugInGuru.com: saveme10dollarsplease

getdunne wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:44 pm
padillac wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:21 am Hey there, my one grip with Unify is that it hijacks the space bar in Reaper so I can't start / stop the transport. Do you know of a way to fix this? Maybe there's a setting I'm missing.
This happens when you have another window open, e.g. a plug-in GUI window. If you click in the main Unify GUI window to select it, your space-bar should work. (This may be DAW-dependent so I can't promise.)
I've been a Unify owner since day one, as well as a long-time PluginGuru customer and supporter. This seemingly minor inconvenience is probably the number one reason why I don't use Unify more. When you're working in a DAW and you've setup commands to control the DAW, having certain plugins that ignore those settings is beyond frustrating. It's a constant reminder that the plugin is different but not necessarily in a good way.

I understand that this is probably a limitation of the VST plugin spec but other companies have managed to work around it. In particular, Komplete Kontrol presents the plugin GUIs within it's main window.

This brings me to my number two reason for not using Unify more. Non-existent window management. Navigating Unify's nested Unify feature quickly devolves into a mess of open, overlapping windows, some of which refuse to allow others to the front. I'm fairly plugin-savvy so I understand what's going on. However, I can only imagine the amount of confusion that it creates for novices.

I'm hopeful that Unify 2.0 will address these issues. Ideally, I think the main window should add the ability to open plugin GUIs (as well as nested Unify windows) as tabs within the main interface instead of popping up windows that block the DAWs input. You could possibly create some sort of collapsible navigation tree that allows you to click on items to determine what gets displayed in the main window at any given time. Then I feel that Unify will truly live up to it's name.

Also, I think that the multiple audio outputs addon that was talked about previously needs to become a reality. Right now still having to funnel all of this power through a single stereo pair feels quite limiting.

Nonetheless, I'm still excited about Unify and continue to be in awe of the amount of potential that it has. I understand that right now it's just you which amazes me to no end. You're doing a great job and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

-e.B
-- Insert profound words here --

@downSouthSide
These are very strong points, and believe me, I'm listening. We don't have the resources or accumulated experience that allowed Native Instruments to solve all these issues in Komplete Kontrol, but we're making progress.

Thank you for your patience and your interest in Unify.

Just to let you know, Skippy and me released a new library for Unify...
Here are some demos and a nice video from John...

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/planet-pluck/

https://youtu.be/b53xZ_Oih1s

https://soundcloud.com/xenox-afl/sets/p ... 806b73cc57
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Sounding pretty amazing. Kudos :tu:

Another great demo showing the synthetic side of Planet Pluck, small track was made by Bob Dedes...

https://soundcloud.com/xenox-afl/plugin ... mo-dressed

And here is the naked version:

https://soundcloud.com/xenox-afl/plugin ... demo-naked

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Xenox.AFL wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:03 pm Just to let you know, Skippy and me released a new library for Unify...
Sounds great, nice work on this by yourself and John/Skippy. :)

Here is another great demo showing the great plucks in Planet Pluck...

https://soundcloud.com/xenox-afl/plugin ... acbe45a22f

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/planet-pluck/

Frank

Return to “Instruments”