Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

Phuturetone wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:11 pmAll the factory presets have Filter Cutoff assigned to CC 74.
If that's the case, then the behaviour is wrong because it's shouldn't affect the filter until I start gliding my finger up/down the Lightpad or Seaboard but it jumps to a value based on the note I play.
If yes, then I assume your keyboard is somehow sending CC 74 to the plugin.
The Rolis shouldn't send CC74 until I slide my finger up from the note I play and that's the behaviour I get in a lot of other VSTi. It's only GR-8 that gives me any problems.

I'll make sure tonight that it's happening on all patches and let you know.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Phuturetone wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:33 pm
phankiejankie303 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 am Plus I am having another problem. The synth is locked on to Mono and no matter what I do it will not go to Poly mode (the Poly button lights up but still no way to play chords as the next note chokes the previous one, which is essentially mono behavior). My DAW is Reaper, anyone else has this problem or maybe I am doing something completely wrong?
Make sure that the Arpeggiator is switched OFF. It plays a chord one note at a time even in the Polyphonic mode. If you play short chords and the Arp is playing at a slower rate you may not be able to hear the 2nd note in the sequence, so it will sound monophonic. Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Mmmmm... I noticed something peculiar. The mono / poly buttons work as they should in SaviHost but refuse to work as they should in REAPER. Still stuck in mono mode... and it's not only about Poly, as I am having the exact same problem with Unison and Chord modes. Both can be picked as an option but soundwise the synth stays in mono.

I have an idea though. I will switch off my midi controller and check again. I will report back later today. It could be again some kind of mysterious MIDI assignment or it could be a DAW session thing (I will try the synth on a blank new project and check its behavior).

PS: Another user on the OSC151 thread also has a problem with a preset being stuck in Poly and everything else is silence also in REAPER :D

Ok an update on the matter, something is very wrong with REAPER (I have version 6.13) and GR-8. There is no way the synth can go into anything else than mono. It's stuck in mono mode no matter what I do.

I tried making a new project from scratch, loaded the .ini patch, disabled my midi controller, nothing works, the synth is locked on in mono playing stubbornly only one note :bang:. It’s like it picks up some value or CC message from somewhere and locks onto it, which makes the buttons on the GUI having no effect.

Plus if you have a midi controller that some knobs have a bit of drift due to age, GR-8 picks this up changing the preset values immediately to the knob position and the change some times can be very drastic depending on where the controller knobs are, alienating the sound completely!

In other news. I really like the synth now that I had some time with it. It certainly has it's character and uniqueness.

Hey phankiejankie303,

Just send me the Riper file that has the bug, so I can see what's wrong.

Thanks!

Missed your post on OSC151. Sent you a pm a few minutes ago. Thanks for looking into it.

phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:20 pm Missed your post on OSC151. Sent you a pm a few minutes ago. Thanks for looking into it.
Thanks for the file, unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the bug. It must be something with your setup. I've tried it on Reaper v6.34 on Win10, 64-bit and I can change the modes.

The polyphony modes buttons don't have MIDI assignment, so I don't think the MIDI is causing the problem, at least not directly.

You mentioned that the dusty controller knobs are changing parameters on their own. I remember that I had a similar problem a long time ago. My "solution" was to keep all the controller's knobs to min or max. Maybe those jumpy controls create MIDI overload - if something like that is possible, preventing the change of mode. I don't know, really have no idea what it could be.

BTW, just to make it clear, because some users thought that it is possible to play chords in the Unison mode - Mono, Unison, and Chord modes can play only one note at a time, it's just in the Unison mode, it plays the same note on 8 detuned voices, and in the Chord mode, it acts as a one-finger-chord. Only polyphonic mode allows playing more than one and up to 8 notes.

Thanks!

Thanks for looking into it. Maybe if I update REAPER to the latest version it will fix the problem.

It could be a problem with the particular version I have.

Can't load preset on my M1 Mac + Live 11. Any hint?

bardaxx wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:26 am Can't load preset on my M1 Mac + Live 11. Any hint?
Hi Bardaxx,

Are you able to install the presets in the correct location?
/Users/<user name>/Library/Audio/Presets/Phuturetone/GR-8

If not, make sure you have Read & Write Privilege for the Presets folder.

If it is something else, please give me more details. Can you see the factory presets in the plugin? How are trying to load presets? ...

Thanks,
Sasha

Sorry it's taken me a while to get around to checking this but every patch has the problem of cutoff jumping around, depending on the note played with my Roli Lightpads. I even tried it in Piano mode, where it should only be sending out note info and velocity, but it still goes crazy. If I sequence notes, it responds fine, it's just the MPE/5D controller.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:44 pm Sorry it's taken me a while to get around to checking this but every patch has the problem of cutoff jumping around, depending on the note played with my Roli Lightpads. I even tried it in Piano mode, where it should only be sending out note info and velocity, but it still goes crazy. If I sequence notes, it responds fine, it's just the MPE/5D controller.
Hi Bones,

I found some info in the Appendix (page 18) of this document from the ROLI Support:
https://support.roli.com/helpdesk/attac ... 6006156413

Action: Third dimension, for a note. Usually mapped to timbre.
Method: Send Control Change #74 to the note’s Channel.

I would look into disabling the 3rd dimension if possible. That should stop sending CC #74 via notes.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Sasha

Piano mode should disable it automatically. The other thing is that cc74 should not give different results for different notes, should it? Or does the value start from the input note value? In any event, if I change Slide to a different cc, it fixes the problem. Of course, it borks 5D for everything else, so it's not a solution. It makes more sense to go through and resave every preset I might want to use to remove the cc74 assignment.

The good news is that I did some tests and it seems to do it to any synth if I assign cc74 to something. I think I noticed because it's really obvious with the first preset in GR-8, where it can be a bit more subtle with other patches. And at least I can see the cutoff knob moving in GR-8, which confirmed it for me, whereas most other synths don't give a visual clue like that so you have to A/B it with and without the assignment.

Phuturetone wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:07 pm
phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:20 pm Missed your post on OSC151. Sent you a pm a few minutes ago. Thanks for looking into it.
Thanks for the file, unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the bug. It must be something with your setup. I've tried it on Reaper v6.34 on Win10, 64-bit and I can change the modes.
Ok Sasha I updated REAPER to the latest version unfortunately the problem persists. Plus I noticed that in REAPER I can't see the waveform and spectrum graphs moving at all :dog:

I designed a patch on my other computer in SaviHost when I saw that on the FX Tab there is a moving spectrum graph and a moving waveform! None of those work in (my) REAPER... Peculiar.

Could it be some kind of administrator rights thing or maybe I need to properly install the plugin since I just dragged the vst3 file into my vst folder (plus copied the presets folder as suggested in the readme file) rather than do a proper install.

I have a Unison patch I would like to use in OSC which as of now is unusable since when loaded in REAPER GR-8 is stuck in mono, meaning it’s basically another sound entirely.

Ok another update. It seems GR-8 hates my laptop for some reason and its definitely not a REAPER problem. Same thing happens on SaviHost as well, in this particular computer.

I assumed (wrongly) that since it works on SaviHost on my other PC it would work on the laptop though it doesn’t.

Only mono sound, no moving waveform or spectrum graph and the preset tab is missing some elements. Is there some hard requirement on CPU or GPU, SynthMaker has these days?

No other plugin has this problem… Sorry for bringing this up again but any guidance would be very welcomed.

Could it be some kind of administrator rights thing or maybe I need to properly install the plugin since I just dragged the vst3 file into my vst folder (plus copied the presets folder as suggested in the readme file) rather than do a proper install.

Scratch that did both and no dice.

phankiejankie303 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm Ok another update. It seems GR-8 hates my laptop for some reason and its definitely not a REAPER problem. Same thing happens on SaviHost as well, in this particular computer.

I assumed (wrongly) that since it works on SaviHost on my other PC it would work on the laptop though it doesn’t.

Only mono sound, no moving waveform or spectrum graph and the preset tab is missing some elements. Is there some hard requirement on CPU or GPU, SynthMaker has these days?

No other plugin has this problem… Sorry for bringing this up again but any guidance would be very welcomed.

Scratch that did both and no dice.
Maybe this is missing - from the SynthEdit site:
For SynthEdit-built plugins to work they need some common support files called the "Visual C++ Redistributable Package". These need to be installed only once on each PC that uses plugins.
You can find it on this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -downloads

I think you'll need the x64 version:
https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Hope that helps.

BTW, you need to install the plugin properly. There are some hidden files in the plugin folder that are required for the plugin to work properly. If you just copy the .vst3 file, it won't work.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”