WHATS NEW in the Studio One 5.4 UPDATE! | NATIVE Apple M1 Silicon Support!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 amI too think it's time Apple users start to be charged for this extra burden Apple imposes on developers. Maybe then they start to realize who is more important in the food chain.
We already know who is higher on the food chain... people high on the food chain aren't the complainers. So every time you whine about Apple, you are demonstrating your lowly position. :hihi:

Glad to see a timely Apple Silicon update from Presonus.

antic604 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm Can anyone post full release notes?
New features and improvements:
- Native support for Apple Silicon (M1) processors
- Plug-in Nap – CPU-performance optimization
- Performance optimizations for Mix Engine FX
- Improved Autosave behavior
- Export Song to multiple audio file formats in one pass
- Realtime chord display in Editor
- New Chord Display floating window
- Improved chord detection
- Note Controller support for Audio Unit instruments
- Additional HD video frame rate support
- New “Set Time Offset to Cursor” option
- Updated Plug-in Manager with statistics
- Manual blocklisting of plug-ins
- User-definable diagnostics report and profiling options
- “Copy external files” option for Songs, Projects, and Shows
- New command “Insert Instrument Parts from Chord Track”
- “Remove all” option for sends
- Time Display and Remaining Record Time window now resizable
- FaderPort 8 + 16: On/Off for individual send slots
- FaderPort 8 + 16: Display send or cue mix slot numbers on display
- Switch Mono/Stereo for multiple selected tracks
- Mixdown settings also stored when dialog is canceled
- Improved file naming for mixdown between markers
- Long track names now abbreviated in plug-in window header

The following issues have been fixed:
- ROLI Equator (v1) VST3 plug-in no longer blocked
- [ATOM SQ] Control Link parameter drag and drop not working
- [ATOM SQ] Macro commands not displayed correctly
- [ATOM SQ] Text updates exceeding a certain length are ignored
- [FaderPort 8/16] Some tracks not shown after opening a song
- [FaderPort 8/16] Operating mode is not detected on launch under certain conditions
- [macOS] Delay in drag when moving a pinned editor
- [macOS] Playback may get stuck when using stock instruments
- [macOS] Security mechanism misses Waves 11 plug-in crashes
- [Note Editor] Editing might lag in certain cases, e. g. with many sound variations
- [PreSonus Sphere] Deleting multiple files in a workspace in Cloud tab is limited to two files
- [Sample One] Potential crash when playing reversed samples at 96 kHz
- [Score Editor] Certain transposed instrument tracks not playing back correctly
- [Score Editor] Duplicating musical directions causes overlaps in most situations
- [Score Editor] Jumps after entering score symbol
- [Score Editor] Sometimes incorrect rests are entered when editing events
- Alt + mouse wheel to select next layers stopped working
- Arpeggiator Note FX auditions without receiving events under certain conditions
- Arranger/Chord/Marker tracks cannot be opened in certain situations
- Automation tracks packed to a folder don't follow Solo/Mute state
- Broken automation lane for FabFilter Simplon
- Dragging audio clips from Pool to Impact/SampleOne not working
- Exported MIDI file contains scratch pad data
- Folder tracks do not follow "Disable Events under automation envelopes" option
- Horizontal scrolling with mouse wheel in Console only works properly above faders
- Impact XT pitch names out of sync when used in Multi Instrument
- Instrument automation keeps writing to undo history during playback
- Note Controller not reset when part removed
- Note Controllers don’t reset to default as expected for VST3 instruments
- Output Movement from Studio Magic Bundle does not appear in Studio One 5 Prime
- Parts and events should be selected exclusively when drawn with pencil tool
- “Play Overlaps” settings revert to default when tracks are transformed
- Potential crash when selecting Browser tabs
- Potential crash on deleting unused instruments while multiple songs are open
- Switching process precision changes event gain
- Track Notes width not stored properly
- "Select Highest/Lowest Notes" macros select too many notes
- Very long audio files may loop unexpectedly
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm Its very short sited to compain about the Apple M1 development, because ultimately it will benefit all users, of all platforms.
:lol:

You don't know much about Apple, do you? ;)
Not a lot, although I do have an iPhone, and my wife has an iPad. I know they tend to hold there value better which partially offsets the initial higher cost. The only computer I have ever made a profit on was an Intel Mac Mini which I sold this time last year for a profit. Purchased new by me in June for £399 and I sold on ebay in October for £452.

antic604 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pmDoes 5.4 support VST and/or AU bridging via Rosetta2 when running on Arm?
I suspect not, otherwise they'd be shouting about it from the rooftops.

FL Studio has only started working on bridging having released M1-native version few days ago, so apparently it's only Logic and Bitwig that can do that (not sure about Reaper).
FL can bridge AU, because they can take advantage of the existing Apple framework for that. They are working on VST bridging for a future release.

Does plugin Nap work with instruments as well or just fx?

Is hosts only AU plugins, if non native. Just like Logic, or Reaper.

fmr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:16 pm
mgw38 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 pm The idea that dropping a part of your user base will open up developers that you can then use to develop other stuff is silly.
Really? That's why Apple stopped all development for Windows of ALL the products they bought then, and keeps closing their platform. :hihi:

They probably don't have a clue about their business. You should apply for the job of CEO :roll:
Says the armchair CEO. The fact is we are all in a niche market. Apple is not the majority in the OS space but in terms of percentage of users who actually pay for software and are willing to keep paying Apple's platform ranks pretty high. You think Adobe keeps supporting Apple out of the kindness of their hearts? Would all these companies supporting Apple with considerable effort do so if there weren't any money in it? Meanwhile on the PC side almost not developer ever follows what MS wants them to do. Remember UWP, how did that work out for Microsoft. Developers complained and MS was forced to keep supporting the aging winapi/win32 even though they really want to move to a more modern framework that allows for easy porting to newer platforms if needed.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Serhii Kot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 pm Is hosts only AU plugins, if non native. Just like Logic, or Reaper.
They are probably using Apple's built in bridger to do that.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

FLS' codebase is a mix of Delphi and assembly. Of course it would take then an inordinate amount of time to translate all the Intel-> ARM stuff by hand since they didn't use an intermediate language, like C or Pascal. It was their choice to code that way and their choice to support Apple.

I doubt S1 had to spend that much effort on their code as its probably all C++ and only needed to make changes to some of their SIMD usage from Intel-specific codes to a more genetic layer that can be translated by the compiler to the native chip.

Also, I'm tired of devs wasting all that time on stupid windows compatibility when everybody knows Macs are far superior! :P

(See how pretty that sounds? Trust that devs know how and where to best spend their time and efforts to bring full support to all of their customers. If you are waiting for specific features or bug fixes, then you should contact them directly with well-documented evidence of the problem, or the lack, and present a solid case as to why they should spend time on your specific thing and not something else.)

Anyway, let's talk about the glory of S1 v5.4! Huzzah! (I'm still considering it as a replacement for what I am using now and this update with ARM support just put it up into the top two on my shortlist with Bitwig.)

Edit: wow! Sleep for a couple of hours and miss two pages of this thread! Sorry for the very late tirade. :lol:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

dellboy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:56 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm Its very short sited to compain about the Apple M1 development, because ultimately it will benefit all users, of all platforms.
:lol:

You don't know much about Apple, do you? ;)
Not a lot, although I do have an iPhone, and my wife has an iPad. I know they tend to hold there value better which partially offsets the initial higher cost. The only computer I have ever made a profit on was an Intel Mac Mini which I sold this time last year for a profit. Purchased new by me in June for £399 and I sold on ebay in October for £452.
Apple are not very likely to share their technical accomplishments with the competition. ;)

People blow that accomplishment way out of proportion though. It's a nice mobile CPU, nothing more, nothing less.

Studio One 5.4 isn't available yet in my Studio One 5 Professional download section.
But it is in my Studio One 5 Demo section. :x

Last time when I upgraded Studio One Pro from v4 to v5, it took PreSonus 3 days to make my purchase available to me. :bang:

They need to get their shit together for paying customers.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I just tried the plugin nap on a kind of heavy project on my machine and wow it the cpu usage dropped by almost 30%. Nice!

I wish, they would add autoscroll not only by page, but also continues like Ableton/Bitwig/Reaper have.

jamcat wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:15 pm Studio One 5.4 isn't available yet in my Studio One 5 Professional download section.
But it is in my Studio One 5 Demo section. :x

Last time when I upgraded Studio One Pro from v4 to v5, it took PreSonus 3 days to make my purchase available to me. :bang:

They need to get their shit together for paying customers.
Same, although you should be prompted to update when you open Studio One. Or at least that's what happened for me.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”