Lunatic Audio's NARCOTIC Multi-Effects & Step Sequencing Plugin -

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I received an email this morning about the release of NARCOTIC by Lunatic Audio. It immediately got my attention because of it's 32 different effects, dedicated step-sequencers, a fully scalable interface with an X/Y pad reminiscent of Output's Portal, and a feature called "Shroom Magic" which functions like a Randomize button for the plugin's various settings.

There have been some pretty incredible multi-effects that have come out like Infiltrator, ShaperBox, Output's Movement, Portal and Thermal, Soundtoys Effect Rack, and EnRage by Boom Library. So things are heating up in the multi-fx corner of the market and I couldn't be happier to have access to these kinds of software tools.

I'm about to download Narcotic now, so I'll come back here to post about my experience. The intro price is $99 instead of $149 and that lasts for another 13 days. Hopefully it works and sounds as good as it looks (or better)!! 8)

I'm also kind of tempted. I got an email with an extra voucher, cause apparently I'm an existing customer.

Just not sure if it's different enough from Infiltrator to warrant a purchase, but I'll check out the demo.

Edit: But where is the demo?

gondii wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm Edit: But where is the demo?
Another no-demo release. Devs seem to be getting lazy about demos. "All Lunatic Audio products are sold “as is” with no warranty or refund privileges, unless the product is proven defective." Good luck to them with that. Some devs don't have a good business sense, unfortunately.

plexuss wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 pm Another no-demo release. Devs seem to be getting lazy about demos. "All Lunatic Audio products are sold “as is” with no warranty or refund privileges, unless the product is proven defective." Good luck to them with that. Some devs don't have a good business sense, unfortunately.
Oh, then I'm out, even with the extra "loyalty" discount. The fx modules in the demo videos also really don't sound impressive to be honest. It appears to be another launch through Audio Plugin Deals (I think that's why I got the loyalty voucher) and they do this "no demo no refund" thing all the time. Seriously odd, I can only assume they have no trust in their products.

Copy protection mechanism? Couldn't find an answer on their site.

Also, no license transfers allowed...

OzoneJunkie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:58 pm Copy protection mechanism?

Also, no license transfers allowed...
Their company seems accurately named :wink:

Almost as bad as http://www.audioflatulence.com/ except a real company!

Their website is a bit style over substance and information lite. Would be useful to know what the 35 effects are for example. Little details like that.

I haven’t had a chance to spend very much time with Narcotic yet, but I thought I’d list a few specs that people might want to know about. The 32 effects to choose from include:

“Band Drive, Bass Cabinet, Chorus, Compressor, Delay, Dr. Bass, EQ, Filter, Funk, Glitch, Glue, Grunge, Leslie, Lo-Fi, Modulator, Multiverse, Phaser, Phat, Pitch Drift, Retro Chorus, Reverb, Soft Clipper, Spaced Out, Steroids, Stutter, Tape, Toxins, Tremelo, Trip, Utility, Vibrato and Widener. You can load up to six effects in series and modulate the parameters of each effect with individual step sequencers. You can also assign parameters to an X/Y pad which too can be modulated.”

To authorize it, open it up in your DAW and you’ll be asked to enter your email/username and a serial number that they send you in an email. It was quick and painless. I agree that it sucks not allowing license transfers as that tends to really put people off and for good reason. As a personal policy, if I buy a plugin, I’m buying it for it’s current state and I realize that there’s a chance it will never be updated and could even become abandoned. I don’t feel that it’s very fair to the end user, but I’m willing to accept the terms of use and just try to enjoy making music. The rest is out of my hands. Hopefully they will respect their user base and reward paying customers with regular updates and communication with the community.

The first issue I’m running into is it seems you can’t have multiple instances of the same effect in your chain. The tabbed workflow at the top of the plugin is quick and easy to use. You simply click on the effect module name and that opens up it’s parameters. There’s a Global Control Bar at the bottom of the interface with input and output, swing, shift, speed, shape, mix, phase, gate, floor, human, and depth. Saving your own presets is also very easy. I’ll have to come back after I listen to the individual effect modules a little more critically. I’ve had a tree removal crew working next door since the butt crack of dawn, so maybe tonight I’ll actually be able to hear what I’m doing.

That has to be quite early.

morphex wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:44 am

To authorize it, open it up in your DAW and you’ll be asked to enter your email/username and a serial number that they send you in an email. It was quick and painless.
But, is it actually registered with the email/serial, or does it then reach out over the internet and do a challenge/response, or activation? If you log into your account, does it show an activation for a given machine?

I find it hard to believe companies in this day and age that can't even properly list registration/activation information. For me, everything is an immediate pass until I have that information.

morphex wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:44 am I’ll have to come back after I listen to the individual effect modules a little more critically.
Thank you for doing this. I look forward to reading more of your experiences with this plugin.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 pm Their website is a bit style over substance and information lite. Would be useful to know what the 35 effects are for example. Little details like that.
Used the form on the website for a question.
No response.
Tried to join on FB.
No response.
Bit weird not responding to people during days following a launch…
Last edited by nordickvr on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

This company is run through Audio Plugin Deals, they wanted beta testers for the first of this companies releases, which is a game … a plugin game :dog:

I think this release will appear on audioplugindeals.com very soon.

are we now experiencing the next de-evolution of plugins? First was the deep discount sale prices. Now people throwing together plugins without much "substance" to them and a now-premium price? I guess with so many people "doing music" for a hobby it would make sense to wip together mediocre plugins and put them up for sale. after that its just a matter of ecommerce. I'll pass...

Well, drawing automation in Ableton Live feels mediocre to me. I get the sense that Ableton could enhance automation drawing/editing and Max for Live MSEG-like devices, and implement a step sequencer with customizable per-step envelopes--all in some integrated way with instrument racks that would make me never want to reach for an all-in-one effects plugin again. But that ain't happening. So, I'm willing to look--but I'll wait to hear more before judging Narcotic.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Effects”