VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
e-phonic
KVRian

Topic Starter

656 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:04 am

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:24 am
Then you might as well remove the Arp options since they're relatively pointless without a second Env. :shrug:
It might be pointless to you, not so much for me. There are several presets that use it so I don't see the point in removing it. You don't have to use the option if you don't like it. :wink:

nIGhT-SoN
KVRian
699 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:06 am

I understand what you are saying, Teksonik and I agree with what you said before and that it should work with OSC 1 too, but even in this state, I don't think it should be removed. It can be used in some other ways that you wouldn't be able to using other tools. You could use an external midi plugin, I think, to do arps the normal way. With that one you wouldn't be able to control only one OSC so this could be considered a strange, but sometimes good feature. :D

LE: e-phonic, if this becomes something that gets reported too much, you could rename it to something else (TARP /joke), this way people wouldn't expect it to be an arpeggiator. :lol:

e-phonic
KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 am

@nIGhT-SoN
It's not that the ARP doesn't work like an ARP (it does work with OSC 1 too by default). It's more that Teksonik doesn't like one of the unconventional (optional) features.

briefcasemanx
KVRian
1043 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:52 am

What other synths that can have one oscillator play a held chord and another oscillator arpeggiate? That sounds cool.

Teksonik
KVRAF
16480 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am

e-phonic wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 am
@nIGhT-SoN
It's not that the ARP doesn't work like an ARP (it does work with OSC 1 too by default). It's more that Teksonik doesn't like one of the unconventional (optional) features.
Sorry but it doesn't "work like an Arp" with Osc1 when Osc2 is selected as the Arp Target or vice versa. An arpeggiator doesn't just play one note of a chord over and over. Simple as that.

You can call it "unconventional" if you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's a limitation not a feature.

Like I said yes you can use it to effect in some patches like setting one Osc to an octave lower to accentuate the bass note but I can think of a lot more patches that I could make if the feature worked properly or if there was another ENV if you wish.

Sure I could simply not use the Arp routing since it does not function properly and I could use an external Arp but then I could also just use another synth that doesn't have such limitations built in.

I was just giving user feedback in attempt to improve the synth and no I don't like the way it works. Sorry if that offends you. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:52 am
What other synths that can have one oscillator play a held chord and another oscillator arpeggiate? That sounds cool.
DUNE 3, Rapid, luSH101 and so on...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

e-phonic
KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 am

e-phonic wrote:
Sorry but it doesn't "work like an Arp" with Osc1 when Osc2 is selected as the Arp Target or vice versa. An arpeggiator doesn't just play one note of a chord over and over. Simple as that.
And how about the default option 'ALL OSCS'?
What I mean is, you have this extra option to do something unconventional, but when disabled it works just like a normal ARP, right?
e-phonic wrote:
I was just giving user feedback in attempt to improve the synth and no I don't like the way it works. Sorry if that offends you. :shrug:
Your feedback is much appreciated. And don't worry, I'm not so easily offended. :lol:

briefcasemanx
KVRian
1043 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 am

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
I don't have the others but can Dune3 do this without layering patches? I've barely touched it's arp.

Vortifex
KVRAF
2495 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:05 am

I'm liking these new oscillator types, makes for some cool sounds and for not very much CPU at all. Such a nice synth to use, the GUI is so easy to look at as well.

AnX
KVRAF
10374 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:30 am

Teksonik wrote:
briefcasemanx wrote:
On a single layer? (To keep the playing field level)

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:58 am

AnX wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:30 am
Teksonik wrote:
briefcasemanx wrote:
No but let me turn it around....what simple synth that only has 2 Oscs, a Sub and a single Amp Env has a Arp routing feature in the first place?

I can't think of any off hand and if it worked the way Invader does I would have reported it to their developers as well.

With invader Arp routing is a "feature" that was added but the synth can't handle due to its limited architecture. Like I said having an Osc playing only one note of a chord when the Arp is set to bypass it is not the way it should work....:shrug:

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:05 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 am
I don't have the others but can Dune3 do this without layering patches? I've barely touched it's arp.
No need to layer patches. You can think of the Voices as single Oscs: Single Osc In Voice 1 set to Arp #1, Single Osc in Voice 2 set to no Arp. Single Osc in Voice 3 set to Arp #2 and so on.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread. If you want to know more about D3's Arps we can go to its thread and I'll be happy to explain it further.

AnX
KVRAF
10374 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:08 am

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:58 am
AnX wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:30 am
Teksonik wrote:
briefcasemanx wrote:
No
There ya go then

I'm sure he made it that way for a reason, and I'm sure you have more complex synths to make the complex modern sounds you love so much, so prob not worth bleating about it.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:39 pm

No one is bleating Dave. I'm trying to make the synth better. What are you trying to do other than start yet another argument? Do you even own Invader?

If not then run along.....nothing for you here. :wink:

EnGee
KVRAF
7633 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:24 am
Then you might as well remove the Arp options since they're relatively pointless without a second Env. :shrug:
Just don't use the Arp then ;) Others might still find it useful.
Personally, I rarely use an arp. A sequence? Yes, but that what is a sequencer for.

Waiting for M1 native support as Invader2 is my to go analog synth now that I don't have Diva anymore.

Return to “Instruments”