Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 pm What do you mean?
Compare 499€ to the pricing of the competition.

You mentioned "standard" editions. Cubase Pro is 600 €. It's the "standard" Cubase edition, stimply because there isn't any other version with added features or anything. Same with other DAW's. So, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Anyway, I surely won't go into discussing the price (never a good idea anyway). It is what it is. Everyone can decide whether or not it's worth it for him/her. 'nuff said.

Especially when you have the luxury to decide until October.

machine_spirit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:50 pm a perpetual license of Reason now since it's the most expensive standard version available
Reason "standard" is pretty comparable to Ableton Live Suite IMHO, which sells for far more than Reason - even after the price increase. Reason comes with 19 instruments and 29 effects, as well as 4 midi fx, 8 utilities, and 29,000 device patches. That's more than what Live Standard comes with.
Last edited by EnochLight on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Talking about Live... did they change their pricing? I remember it was much more expensive the last time I looked...

EnochLight wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm
machine_spirit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:50 pm a perpetual license of Reason now since it's the most expensive standard version available
Reason "standard" is pretty comparable to Ableton Live Suite IMHO, which sells for far more than Reason - even after the price increase. Reason comes with 19 instruments and 29 effects, as well as 4 midi fx, 8 utilities, and 29,000 device patches. That's more than what Live Standard comes with.
Would say that reason has better synths imho.
Super low cpu and way easier to understand than text based navigation and check boxes

EnochLight wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm
There's really no rational way of discussing this. Some will find the price is justified, some will say that it's too expensive, some might even think they sell themselves short... no wrong or right. Just your own decision whether it's worth it for you or not.

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 pm Talking about Live... did they change their pricing? I remember it was much more expensive the last time I looked...
Nope.
$500 for standard. Which imho is so not worth it.
$700orso for suite. Which M4L is pretty cool but in all honesty... Still not worth it to me

Shows 349 € for Standard here... which is quite a bargain compared to what I think it used to go for.

Unless I'm completely wrong, which could well be...

Even 299 € for Standard, when I log in with my Live Lite license...

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:04 pm You mentioned "standard" editions. Cubase Pro is 600 €. It's the "standard" Cubase edition, stimply because there isn't any other version with added features or anything. Same with other DAW's. So, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Anyway, I surely won't go into discussing the price (never a good idea anyway). It is what it is. Everyone can decide whether or not it's worth it for him/her. 'nuff said.

Especially when you have the luxury to decide until October.
Are you one of those who thinks Live Suite is the "standard" version too? Go take a look at the prices of Studio One, Bitwig, Live, FL Studio etc. Or don't, we both know you're already aware of this. I'm not familiar with Cubase but there's seems to be a version in the typical 300-400 dollar price range which after a quick glance seems to be a "standard" equivalent. They clearly have a peculiar split of their versions to cash in on their "pro" status. This kind of blatant cherry picking is just embarassing.

Cubase Artist is not the "Standard" Cubase edition. It's a feature limited edition for those who don't want to shell out 600 € for the Pro version (and who are OK with the limited feature set).

If then, compare apples to apples. And, yes, Studio One, Bitwig, Live and FL Studio are less expensive now than Reason. it's true. Not sure how relevant it is though. Again, the only thing that matters if whether the customer is willing to shell out the asked price for it.

It's the only thing that matters for Reason Studios as well.

EnochLight wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:52 pm
Eclectrophonic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 pm Mimic doesn't have time-stretching. It has Transient detection though.
Yes, Minic does have (real-time) time-stretching.
Does it, I will have to look into that. I was sure it didn't.

EDIT - So this is what I just found on Reason Studio's site:-

"Once in Mimic, you can always adapt pitch and playback speed to your liking using the stretch modes based on Reason's legendary time stretch algorithms. It can sound both incredibly good and out-of-this-world weird, in the best possible way. I use it extensively for making the slices of a sample really long when chopping something up, for example."

So what I was talking about was time-stretching the transients or audio you have as your sample, which according to how I read that, it doesn't. It just says plays back at different speeds and 1 being a time-stretch algorithm.
Last edited by Eclectrophonic on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm Reason "standard" is pretty comparable to Ableton Live Suite IMHO, which sells for far more than Reason - even after the price increase. Reason comes with 19 instruments and 29 effects, as well as 4 midi fx, 8 utilities, and 29,000 device patches. That's more than what Live Standard comes with.
Looking at merely the stock synths and sounds, it was (for the "normal" price) certainly good value. One of the reasons i bought Reason in fact. It most definitely does not compare to Live Suite though IMO, that's a borderline absurd claim. Reason Suite was very competetive though, if you like synths.
chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:15 pm There's really no rational way of discussing this. Some will find the price is justified, some will say that it's too expensive, some might even think they sell themselves short... no wrong or right. Just your own decision whether it's worth it for you or not.
This is largely true, comparing different versions of different DAWs with different pricing schemes and combining this with people's subjective interests obviously leads to a complete mess.
The vast majority of developers clearly position themselves and their content in a similar manner though, and naturally when comparing things like this you try to avoid the extreme cases. I'm sure there's someone out there who would pay 1000€ over the competition just for the opportunity to play with Reasons rack.

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:32 pm Cubase Artist is not the "Standard" Cubase edition. It's a feature limited edition for those who don't want to shell out 600 € for the Pro version (and who are OK with the limited feature set).
You make it sound like a very limited lite version, which it clearly isn't. It's also one single DAW out of many. You're arguing like a starwars fan on the defensive right now, just so you're aware.
chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:32 pm Not sure how relevant it is though.
Go read my initial post again.
chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:32 pm Again, the only thing that matters if whether the customer is willing to shell out the asked price for it.

It's the only thing that matters for Reason Studios as well.
Ah yes, the "corporations like money and... people can pay whatever they want, it doesn't matter" argument. Hard to argue with that one.

machine_spirit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:18 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:32 pm Cubase Artist is not the "Standard" Cubase edition. It's a feature limited edition for those who don't want to shell out 600 € for the Pro version (and who are OK with the limited feature set).
You make it sound like a very limited lite version, which it clearly isn't. It's also one single DAW out of many. You're arguing like a starwars fan on the defensive right now, just so you're aware.
So you want to compare Reason with Studio One Artist, Live Intro, or Bitwig 8-Track next?

Cubase Pro is the one you should compare it to. :) That's the full Cubase. Like Reason is the full Reason, not Reason Lite or Reason Intro.

They might make big sales or crossgrades in the future like Studio One or Bitwig or even the 40% discount of Cubase from time to time.

Anyway, who knows what's in their heads?! For now, it's $129 upgrade and soon it will be $199. For me I already have v12 that I got free (upgrade) when I upgraded from v10 to v11. So, would I upgrade in the future for $199? I might be if Reason my main DAW because it still worth it, otherwise "No" as I either wait several years to upgrade or just sell it now and buy it second hand later if desired 😀

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”