Whats The Best Value All In One Daw Solution Today ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 pm I'll pick this one. (Available for Windows Linux & Mac)

How is Z-Rythm nowadays? I had tried it 6-9 months ago and it felt very "alpha". It was crashing a lot when adding plugins, features were not completed or worked weird - but it shows a lot of potential.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnGee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:12 am For Mac, Logic Pro of course!
For Windows, I believe that Studio One Artist v5 is the best value for money @ $99!
For Linux, Bitwig Studio because it has everything.

For me, It's Bitwig Studio overall because I need very few additional instruments and synths. It also run on the 3 major OSes, so I'm not tied to any OS (at least when it comes to music).
wow...they have added a lot to S1 Artist since last I looked...it used to not come with the full sampler or multisampled rompler...still doesn't come with the convolution processor or audio as midi editor...still think tracktion has more everyday use features for 112$...but ur right S1 artist has become a great value
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Logic is, by far, the best value DAW.

It costs $200 and all updates are free. The built in effects and instruments are all excellent, whereas many DAWs inbuilt plugins are not. Ever since they added live loops, I no longer use Ableton.

Buying a Mac might seem like a high barrier to entry, but you can get an M1 Mac Mini for $699. At a total price of $899, you won't find a better setup in the PC world. This is what I would recommend for anyone that is starting out now.

echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:47 am Buying a Mac might seem like a high barrier to entry, but you can get an M1 Mac Mini for $699. At a total price of $899, you won't find a better setup in the PC world.
You know nothing, Jon Snow. ;)

Maybe, if you said "You won't find a better passively cooled system", but, any mid tier desktop CPU will smoke that thing.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 am
echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:47 am Buying a Mac might seem like a high barrier to entry, but you can get an M1 Mac Mini for $699. At a total price of $899, you won't find a better setup in the PC world.
You know nothing, Jon Snow. ;)

Maybe, if you said "You won't find a better passively cooled system", but, any mid tier desktop CPU will smoke that thing.
You're missing the point.

You won't find a PC and a DAW, for under $900 in total, that can rival Logic and an M1 Mac Mini.

If you consider total cost of ownership, over 3-4 years, the argument for a Mac and Logic is even stronger. Macs have much higher resale value and Logic obviously has free upgrades.

For me, performance is the deciding factor, when I buy a desktop PC. I go for the most bang for the buck.

Maybe the resale value of the Mac Mini is higher, but, what does that do for me? I plan to keep the PC for 8 to 10 years, and then, your Mac Mini will be outdated, and, you won't get that much for or anyway.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 am For me, performance is the deciding factor, when I buy a desktop PC. I go for the most bang for the buck.

Maybe the resale value of the Mac Mini is higher, but, what does that do for me? I plan to keep the PC for 8 to 10 years, and then, your Mac Mini will be outdated, and, you won't get that much for or anyway.
This thread is about best value, not highest performance. You could spend twice as much, but you wouldn't get twice as good performance.

8 to 10 years is an insanely long upgrade cycle. Amortized performance per dollar over that timeframe will absolutely suck. You would be far better off buying cheaper hardware more regularly.

echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 am This thread is about best value, not highest performance. You could spend twice as much, but you wouldn't get twice as good performance.
Arguable. Very arguable. ;)

Get a i9-11900K, and it will probably have 3 or 4 times the performance (at least...). You can surely build a PC for $1800 with that CPU. No problem really.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 am For me, performance is the deciding factor, when I buy a desktop PC. I go for the most bang for the buck.

still missing his point - by several miles....
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:55 am You won't find a PC and a DAW, for under $900 in total, that can rival Logic and an M1 Mac Mini.
Cakewalk is free, has free updates, and rivals Logic.

So that's a $900 PC we're talking about. Even given the 8Gb/256Gb constraints of the entry-level Mac Mini you've quoted pricing on, that's easily possible to manage.

In fact, despite the premium for the form factor, you can build an NUC system, ie something Mac-Mini sized as well, but with a hexcore i7, double the RAM and SSD(*), and have cash left over.

The Mac Mini with 16Gb and 500Gb SSD costs an extra $400 over the base spec, btw. more than 4 times what it costs to raise the PC from an 8Gb/250Gb spec.

Get a Mac Mini if you prefer one, or prefer OSX, or prefer Logic. Dont get one because someone presents it as the cheapest option, because actually, it probably isnt.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

...?..
Last edited by jidatlol on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 am
echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:55 am You won't find a PC and a DAW, for under $900 in total, that can rival Logic and an M1 Mac Mini.
Cakewalk is free, has free updates, and rivals Logic.
Cakewalk has never rivaled Logic. There is a reason why hardly anyone uses it anymore.

I will concede that the effects are serviceable, but you would need to spend around $500 on instruments.
Last edited by echosystm on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:26 am

still missing his point - by several miles....
Well... maybe instead of posting idiotic posts like that you should tell me what his point is then. ;)

Should be fairly obvious no?

His argument is that In case you are just starting out, getting a Mac Mini plus Logic is porbably one of your best VFM options, especially in the long run. If you want to read a valid counter-argument, read Whyterabbyt's post. ;-)

(Even though I am posting this on an Ice Lake laptop, and believe me: it's Throttle Hell, so... )
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:17 am
echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 am This thread is about best value, not highest performance. You could spend twice as much, but you wouldn't get twice as good performance.
Arguable. Very arguable. ;)

Get a i9-11900K, and it will probably have 3 or 4 times the performance (at least...). You can surely build a PC for $1800 with that CPU. No problem really.
3 to 4 times the performance? Nope.

Apple M1
1721 single core
7242 multi core

i9-11900K
1853 single core
11007 multi core

That (Intel) performance is embarrassing, considering two facts:

1. An i9-11900K CPU on its own nearly costs as much as a whole Mac Mini.

2. i9-11900K is one of Intels 2021 flagship chips. Apple M1 is a tablet CPU from 2020 that they put in entry level computers to test the market.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”