Whats The Best Value All In One Daw Solution Today ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 am In fact, despite the premium for the form factor, you can build an NUC system, ie something Mac-Mini sized as well, but with a hexcore i7, double the RAM and SSD(*), and have cash left over.

The Mac Mini with 16Gb and 500Gb SSD costs an extra $400 over the base spec, btw. more than 4 times what it costs to raise the PC from an 8Gb/250Gb spec.
Well, it has to be said though that the directly competing product would probably be the NUC 11 Pro - and at least here in Switzerland the Mac Mini (both 16 / 512) is slighty more expensive (150CHF/ 15%), however the M1 should smoke the 1185G7 that's in NUC 11 Pro.

If I was starting out and had to chose between those two, I'd probably go with the Mac indeed, going by assumed /estimated VFM.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am 3 to 4 times the performance? Nope.

Apple M1
1721 single core
7242 multi core

i9-11900K
1853 single core
11007 multi core
Eggs? Apples? Oranges?

Please state the benchmark, when you post points.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 am For me, performance is the deciding factor, when I buy a desktop PC. I go for the most bang for the buck.

Maybe the resale value of the Mac Mini is higher, but, what does that do for me? I plan to keep the PC for 8 to 10 years, and then, your Mac Mini will be outdated, and, you won't get that much for or anyway.
i used to work on a 1" year old 2077 imac with logic (which is still working but stuck on El Capitan) until last year when I bought a new I7 imac.
Is my music with this powerfull imac better ? no !

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 am For me, performance is the deciding factor, when I buy a desktop PC. I go for the most bang for the buck.

Maybe the resale value of the Mac Mini is higher, but, what does that do for me? I plan to keep the PC for 8 to 10 years, and then, your Mac Mini will be outdated, and, you won't get that much for or anyway.
i used to work on a 13 year old 2007 imac with logic (which is still working but stuck on El Capitan) until last year when I bought a new I7 imac.
Is my music with this powerfull imac better ? no !

echosystm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 am
Cakewalk has never rivaled Logic. There is a reason why hardly anyone uses it anymore.
yeah, wasnt expecting that kind of silly at all. :roll:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 amGet a Mac Mini if you prefer one, or prefer OSX, or prefer Logic. Don't get one because someone presents it as the cheapest option
This is the thing.
Decisions 'should be' based on the individual's workflow, hardware needs, favourite software, etc.
Over the years, cost differences become trivial.
When I need a new Mini, I'll network this one to stream sample libraries or some such recycling.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Mac mini M1 you will have to buy external hardrive and USB hub . Lolz

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:54 am Well, it has to be said though that the directly competing product would probably be the NUC 11 Pro - and at least here in Switzerland the Mac Mini (both 16 / 512) is slighty more expensive (150CHF/ 15%), however the M1 should smoke the 1185G7 that's in NUC 11 Pro.

If I was starting out and had to chose between those two, I'd probably go with the Mac indeed, going by assumed /estimated VFM.
Do bear in mind that I only mentioned the form factor to preempt goalpost-shifting, and give a nod to the mind-wrenching premium on SSD and RAM expansion for the Mini.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yes, all fair points certainly...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

fedexnman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:13 pm Mac mini M1 you will have to buy external hardrive and a powered USB hub . Lolz
Ha ha.
I don't have an M1 but I still bought both of those, and installed extra ram, and a flash drive just to dump & sort downloads, etc.
I hate that M1 is soldered shut, tho
Frogs in the pot...
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am How is Z-Rythm nowadays? I had tried it 6-9 months ago and it felt very "alpha". It was crashing a lot when adding plugins, features were not completed or worked weird - but it shows a lot of potential.
Christ knows, I haven't got the sound sorted properly out on the PC version. I've a feeling that I need to install Jack. :-D Still, I watched a video of someone doing a live stream of it for two hours last night who actually got some good results from it.

https://youtu.be/hVyTdUL7iOQ
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

nm

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am How is Z-Rythm nowadays? I had tried it 6-9 months ago and it felt very "alpha". It was crashing a lot when adding plugins, features were not completed or worked weird - but it shows a lot of potential.
Christ knows, I haven't got the sound sorted properly out on the PC version. I've a feeling that I need to install Jack. :-D Still, I watched a video of someone doing a live stream of it for two hours last night who actually got some good results from it.

https://youtu.be/hVyTdUL7iOQ
So this is the best value digital music workstation for non-musician!

EnGee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:03 pm So this is the best value digital music workstation for non-musician!
The potential is there... I managed to get the audio sorted out, couldn't get anything by the way of midi input even if selected. Many bugs still.. Selecting Midi devices doesn't work properly on Windows.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Logic is the best value DAW...

(and the number of threads that have turned into Mac vs PC has risen sharply recently)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”