Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am

luvst wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:55 am
Great, thanks.
One last question, i really like the ESQ Mirage Bowed Strings patch.
Does someone knows if that would also somehow importable in the SQ 80 V ?
If you have downloaded the .syx file collections and can find the bank that patch is contained then yes it can be imported in the SQ80V.

If I happen to come across it I'll let you know what bank it's in. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
8518 posts since 7 Apr, 2003

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:20 am

Teksonik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 am
luvst wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:55 am
Great, thanks.
One last question, i really like the ESQ Mirage Bowed Strings patch.
Does someone knows if that would also somehow importable in the SQ 80 V ?
If you have downloaded the .syx file collections and can find the bank that patch is contained then yes it can be imported in the SQ80V.

If I happen to come across it I'll let you know what bank it's in. :tu:
@tek how do you import sysex into sq80v?

User avatar
KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:26 am

grymmjack wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:20 am
@tek how do you import sysex into sq80v?
Click the hamburger icon on the top left corner and select Import. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:28 am

BTW, for those who would like to see a quick and basic run through of the vintage SQ80 in action RetroLinear has a decent vid. Examples of everything 1-2 button presses away in function, it's dead easy/get work done sequencer and live performance usage of it (thanks to Ensoniq), aftertouch, and more all without leaving the keyboard and minutia with a mouse and screen.

Also notice in the beginning the fluid patch switching. You can be playing one patch and switch to another which will sound with the next key press, no stop - no stutter. Excellent in regard to performance (again, thanks to Ensoniq).

Digital OSC + Analog filter = yes :)

*And instead of buying the (overpriced) vintage voice carts one should B-line it to buy any one of the latest RAM carts made for the ESQ/SQ80. Some come with the entire past library as a starting point in creating your own. Or of course you can use the floppy disc or sysex routes.

https://youtu.be/m7JddJ6V4xM

KVRer
27 posts since 29 May, 2017

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:43 am

Teksonik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:15 am
bob swans wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:30 am
So I imported all the sysex banks and named them yesterday, I've opened it up today and they all appear to be duplicated.
All my banks now have 80 rather than 40 patches with 2 copies of the same presets in each bank.
Anyone else??
EDIT: I have checked the folders in my user locations and they have 40 files in each one. Still showing 80 in the SQ8V patch library.
Yes that is kind of what I mentioned earlier. Something is definitely weird with bank import. :?
Teksonik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:24 am
The greater issue I've been having is when importing multiple banks one after another. That seems to cause problems but I haven't been able to nail down what's actually happening. It's weird and a bit hit and miss.
Importing a single bank, saving your favorite patches out of it, deleting the bank and loading another seems to be the way to go at this point.
-------------
Anyway I just installed SQ8L and imported the same patch in both it and the SQ80V and I can hear the attack difference now. At first glance I can't seem to find what's causing it but the SQ8L import is definitely more percussive. All Attacks are set to 0 in the SQ80V so I'll keep looking to see what's going on.

Edit: The patch I'm testing is 33 Chime 1 from the esqx08.syx file. After further testing, on first note the attack in SQ80V is comparable to the SQ8L but subsequent notes don't have the same attack so it seems like a re-triggering issue. The SQ8L triggers each note the same. I'll keep looking....
In the advertising Arturia state that they've implemented some kind of variation algorithm, could that be the issue? From their site: "Dispersion: When it comes to classic synths and keyboards, the true charm often lies in the details. We went a step further than emulating the SQ80’s sound and interface by introducing dispersion - meaning subtle variations and inconsistencies in the behavior of its emulated circuitry. No two notes will ever be exactly the same, bringing a truly unmatched organic sound. "

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 am

And even with it's lil brother the ESQ1, Jexus here shows just some of the crazy you can get with these things (complete with entertaining video concepts).

https://youtu.be/ncIoh2CP3Lc
Last edited by jojoB3 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:49 am

For those of us with capable midi controllers (that's all of us right?) you can Midi Learn the Preset Next and Previous Arrows to any controller for seamless patch changing. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 am

Teksonik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:49 am
For those of us with capable midi controllers (that's all of us right?) you can Midi Learn the Preset Next and Previous Arrows to any controller for seamless patch changing. :wink:
Nope, not the same in function. Re-read.

*The SQ80 is also 'capable midi controller' (but with better feeling, well made, keybed system than today's cheap mess).
Last edited by jojoB3 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 am

oboemaroni wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:43 am
In the advertising Arturia state that they've implemented some kind of variation algorithm, could that be the issue? From their site: "Dispersion: When it comes to classic synths and keyboards, the true charm often lies in the details. We went a step further than emulating the SQ80’s sound and interface by introducing dispersion - meaning subtle variations and inconsistencies in the behavior of its emulated circuitry. No two notes will ever be exactly the same, bringing a truly unmatched organic sound. "
I suppose that's a possible cause. I'm still looking for what's different between the SQ8L and SQ80V's attack behavior on some patches. The values seem to match and it doesn't appear to be modulation related at least so far..... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
9018 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:07 am

Teksonik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 am
I suppose that's a possible cause. I'm still looking for what's different between the SQ8L and SQ80V's attack behavior on some patches. The values seem to match and it doesn't appear to be modulation related at least so far..... :?
That's interesting.

I suppose someone with the hardware could look to try to manually recreate a patch using the same values on SQ80 V. If they're still way off, then something's wrong. Would not be at all surprised if Arturia changed or extended the parameter ranges but didn't adjust the import to line up.

User avatar
KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:15 am

That's what appears to be happening. I can't seem to find any obvious parameter changes to make that would align the patches in both the SQ8L and SQ80V. It still seems like a re-triggering issue but like you said someone with the hardware would be able to tell better. Maybe I'm just not seeing the cause.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
KVRAF
16427 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 am

jojoB3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 am
Nope, not the same in function. Re-read.
Certainly the same if you know how to organize patches with your set list. Can you jump back and forth willy nilly between 8 patches with the software? Perhaps not but then who cares?

The SQ80 hardware has no effects so if you want FX for your live performance? That's right then you have to use an external unit like my SPX90. And if you want different effects for each patch you have to send a program change message to the fx unit. Does the SQ80 send program change messages from its patch buttons? Hell I don't remember maybe it does but you get my point.
jojoB3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 am
*The SQ80 is also 'capable midi controller' (but with better feeling, well made, keybed system than today's cheap mess).
Does the SQ80 keyboard have 24 sliders ( 3 banks of 8 ) or 24 knobs ( 3 banks of 8 ) or 24 buttons all of the above fully programmable or seq transport controls or drum pads or DAW controls or Human Interface Device capabilities and so on like my Akai controller does? The keybed, feel, and action of my Akai is better than any Ensoniq keyboard I've ever owned or played and it doesn't suffer from the infamous Ensoniq key clack like my VFX did.

Does my Akai have polyphonic AT? No but my VFX did and quite frankly I don't miss it. Would be nice to have but not a big deal to me.

Look I get it you prefer the hardware and that's fine, to each his own. There's a whole Hardware sub-forum here at KVR for you. I've been through the hardware period of those days and wouldn't go back even at gun point. I've got a whole rack of hardware gear that sits gathering dust because "in the box production" is just easier to me simple as that. If you prefer a hardware SQ80 then use it or buy one.

But we're trying to discuss the SQ80V VSTi so if you'd like to discuss it then please do so. It's a great synth that captures the spirit of those days so let's just enjoy it ok? :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:59 am

What the actual....?
No, not 'seamless', not the same. The video clearly shows this as well btw. This relates directly to performance. You should know this (if you really owned either of these).

The first thing I shut off for VSTs and synths are the fx. They're ok for some patch surfing but rarely do they compete with the outboard (Meris products, Eventide, vintage MuTron, etc.).

SPX90? Good gawd man. Your record is skipping.

What you do or don't miss about these VERY SYNTHS RECREATED BY ARTURIA has zero bearing on this vst or the vintage originals that made it possible. You're simply retorting in opposition, the usual forum nothing. I am discussing SQ80 V - the vst born of the very synth (complete w YT vids).

Played many an Akai. I'm in the majority of working performers who understand todays controllers are cheap crap that feel terrible. Novation, Maudio, etc. etc. Ugh.

Your fan level tech support discussion portion on import is yours to enjoy, I have not commented on it. But all libraries import fine to the SQ80 and ESQ1 here (I use MIDI Ox, simple and solid).
Btw, why not contact and let Arturia field the import issue questions? I'm sure they'll easily be able to answer this.

Teksonik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 am
jojoB3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 am
Nope, not the same in function. Re-read.
Certainly the same if you know how to organize patches with your set list. Can you jump back and forth willy nilly between 8 patches with the software? Perhaps not but then who cares?

The SQ80 hardware has no effects so if you want FX for your live performance? That's right then you have to use an external unit like my SPX90. And if you want different effects for each patch you have to send a program change message to the fx unit. Does the SQ80 send program change messages from its patch buttons? Hell I don't remember maybe it does but you get my point.
jojoB3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 am
*The SQ80 is also 'capable midi controller' (but with better feeling, well made, keybed system than today's cheap mess).
Does the SQ80 keyboard have 24 sliders ( 3 banks of 8 ) or 24 knobs ( 3 banks of 8 ) or 24 buttons all of the above fully programmable or seq transport controls or drum pads or DAW controls or Human Interface Device capabilities and so on like my Akai controller does? The keybed, feel, and action of my Akai is better than any Ensoniq keyboard I've ever owned or played and it doesn't suffer from the infamous Ensoniq key clack like my VFX did.

Does my Akai have polyphonic AT? No but my VFX did and quite frankly I don't miss it. Would be nice to have but not a big deal to me.

Look I get it you prefer the hardware and that's fine, to each his own. There's a whole Hardware sub-forum here at KVR for you. I've been through the hardware period of those days and wouldn't go back even at gun point. I've got a whole rack of hardware gear that sits gathering dust because "in the box production" is just easier to me simple as that. If you prefer a hardware SQ80 then use it or buy one.

But we're trying to discuss the SQ80V VSTi so if you'd like to discuss it then please do so. It's a great synth that captures the spirit of those days so let's just enjoy it ok? :tu:
Last edited by jojoB3 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

KVRist
317 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:14 am

Sounds great - and nice freebie of presets for Analog Labs V which I own

Don't own V-Collection - offer price for just SQ-80 is very good value - but just before launch I also started demoing Bazille

What can SQ-80 do that Bazille can't ? price isn't that much different - and my personal preference of sound - comparing Plucks, Strings etc is Bazille

I guess one is an emulation of an actual Synth, Bazille is not restricted to that

User avatar
KVRAF
34860 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am

Basspartout wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:54 am
Aloysius wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:57 pm
Good to know people are getting it activated. It gives me hope that one day I will too.
Same here! It's two days now and I haven't heard from them! Bit of a bummer :(
Still waiting
Hi-de-Hi!

Return to “Instruments”