A gorgeous new granular delay by Audio Damage -

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:10 pm Do any of their plugins have more advanced LFO/MSEG options? I'm just wondering if they have someone who codes that sort of thing.
Instruments like Continua and Quanta have S&H.

Yes, Quanta has MSEGs if i'm not mistaken

having said that, i don't actually miss these that much in this one.
Sure purchase for me, even though i usually don't buy any more plugins.

My only wish would be optimized GUI code as it really is putting a huge strain on my old laptop while the GUI is open, though i wouldn't mind further developed modulators if they will actually happen to happen, as someone has suggested is actually already planned.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:36 pm ...
Yes, Quanta has MSEGs if i'm not mistaken
You're right, they call it "Flexible Envelope Generator (FEG)".

I'm gonna be hypocritical for a moment, since I asked for more mod options in this thread, but...

These crazy delay plugins where you can modulate tons of stuff and completely mangle the sound, how are people using these? When a demo the more complicated delay plugins, half of the presets seem unusable to me, including ODC.

Can someone post some examples of songs with crazy delay mangling that sounds really good? Usually I just want regular delay with some subtle modulations instead of it sounding like my computer is melting in hot lava while simultaneously being jackhammer by Satan while on a dizzying carnival ride.

Maybe some examples will help me become less boring with my delay use.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:05 am I'm gonna be hypocritical for a moment, since I asked for more mod options in this thread, but...

These crazy delay plugins where you can modulate tons of stuff and completely mangle the sound, how are people using these? When a demo the more complicated delay plugins, half of the presets seem unusable to me, including ODC.

Can someone post some examples of songs with crazy delay mangling that sounds really good? Usually I just want regular delay with some subtle modulations instead of it sounding like my computer is melting in hot lava while simultaneously being jackhammer by Satan while on a dizzying carnival ride.

Maybe some examples will help me become less boring with my delay use.
I think the crazy modulation is more for the sound design stage, than the song writing stage.

There's nothing crazy about a step sequencer creating a melody in a pitch shifter or a gate sequence modulating the low pass filter cutoff.

the thing with heavier modulated settings is, that they are highly contextual.
What might have been jaw droppingly gorgeous on the source it was created for, can be useless garbage on most other sources.

Regarding the “missing“ modulators:
Yes, in this day and age, it seems a bit weird that such a capable plugin is missing such almost “basic“ features for “modern plugin standards“ that are not something like “hey, i'm a 100% exact vintage emulation and thus missing everything, even dry/wet controls)“

It has been said before, but you can do the “missing“ stuff quite easily with your DAW (even in the convoluted Reaper it's just a few more clicks), use MIDI control tools like xfer LFOtool, or put another pitch shifter with internal step modulating possibilities into the signal chain

Or use the admittedly way less predictable way and use the envelope follower for this and either be happy what the internal sidechain is doing to your pitches or gates, or use the external side chain on a dedicated track with a synth line or something else that delivers more controlled results.

Of course it would be nice if ODC had these features, but at least for me, they are not make or break features as it is still far from being a completely simplistic delay plugin in it's current form and sounds awesome (in a more “lofi“ Audio Damage kind of way) and it's not hard to get the missing stuff working with some external help.

P.S.: Of course especially people like Sampleconstruct and bmanic already know this (and much much more) already, just wanted to add my 2 cents wall of text to this. :oops:
Last edited by FapFilter on Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:05 am These crazy delay plugins where you can modulate tons of stuff and completely mangle the sound, how are people using these? When a demo the more complicated delay plugins, half of the presets seem unusable to me, including ODC.
I take the view that they show what the plug is capable of, maybe spark something new, we all throw different stuff through them after all. Maybe a drum loop is a mess whereas a sharp pluck gives a cool evolving cloud of sound etc.

I personally tend to start simply and add modulations as called for, don't think I've ever just called up something complex/bonkers (like, say, a Richard Devine preset in a UA plug :)) and used it as is.

According to Chris Randall there will be more options for the lfos (phase, unipolar). He said they have it on list but there was not time for implementing, they wanted to release the product because of the long developing time. Right now I am a feel bit lost because I did not got a reaction the last couple of days regarding the GUI bug. Anyhow, probably on black friday this plugin will be offered again for sale and I will check then the status of it.
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 am Right now I am a feel bit lost because I did not got a reaction the last couple of days regarding the GUI bug.
Why do so many of you always overreact to the most minor of issues? It's a gui bug and i'm sure they'll fix it soon enough. This is version 1.0 of the plugin and that means it's not going to be 100% perfect. There's no reason to lose your mind over this.

Update in 1.09. version but I don't find the "odc_settings.txt" file as stated in the Read me document _
I am with an Apple machine and can't find the Presets Folder, sorry . :?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

geronimo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 pm I am with an Apple machine and can't find the Presets Folder, sorry . :?
presets seem to be in
~/Music/Audio Damage/ODC/

Does not show up in MXLinux19,4. After a clean reinstall, Roughrider3 finally showed up but still no Other Desert Cities.
Will try Manjaro this weekend.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Have you read the "Read me" file with the update Package ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

geronimo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:56 am Have you read the "Read me" file with the update Package ?
I was probably not the only one who reached support about this, at least they are working on it.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Return to “Effects”