Emergence granulator 0.2.0 released: Added LFOs, Macros and AU support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Emergence

Hello everyone,

You can find an updated version of my granular effect plugin Emergence on my KVR page:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/emerge ... el-gergely

I released the initial 0.1.0 version for this KVRDC21, here is what changed since then:
- macOS: add AU support (please see the readme.txt file for important install instructions)
- Modulation: add LFOs and Macro knobs
- Modulation: improve parameter randomization
- UI: fade out waveform/grain visualization while not processing audio
- VST3: support host-provided context menus for parameter controls

You can dowload the plugin (for free) from the link above.
NOTE: you should create a backup copy of any projects that used the previous version before updating a plugin and loading such projects.

If you find a bug please report it here and include the following information. This helps me a lot to fix any potential issues faster. Thanks.
- Expected behaviour
- Current behaviour
- Steps to reproduce the problem
- OS version
- Name and version of your DAW
- Buffer size and track configuration
- Screenshot or video (if relevant)

Enjoy!

Update:
version 0.2.1 released with the following changes:
- Stability: Fix potential crash when an instance of the plugin is created
- UI: Support displays smaller than 1080 pixels in height
- UI: Add buttons to scale the GUI
- UI: Improve knob layout
- Streams: Add buttons to copy and paste stream parameters

Update:
version 0.2.2 released with the following changes:
- Modulation: Generate a different random value for each randomized parameter
- UI: Editor size preference is shared among all instances of the plugin.
- UI: Add button to paste stream parameters with modulation
- UI: Fix parameters not being updated when dragging knobs with the right mouse
button
- UI: Only show active modulations when a modulator button is hovered
- VST3: Fix potential crash when right-clicking knobs
Last edited by daniel_ on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emergence: granular effect plugin for mac and windows | reaper_command_palette | patreon | youtube | newsletter

Thank you Daniel for sharing your work. I've been using Emergence to process bass synth patches by NI Razor and the combination makes for some truly unique textures and effects. I hope more people decide to support your development of this cool granulator. :tu:

This is such an interesting and one of a kind sounding effect. Thanks for making it, thanks for sharing it. Very cool!

Edit: I really encourage everyone who enjoys sound design check this out. I'm entranced. Easy decision to support your patreon at some level for this. Really nice & impressive work. Beautiful method of processing, with lots of outcomes.

This looks really cool, looking forward to trying it!

On OS X, while trying to launch the plugin in Live, I'm having this security issue:

“Emergence.component” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.'

here on osx High Sierra and...
au wont start at all and vst3 version acts weird:
it shows and works sonically but the interface has this huge bug:
the mouse cursor shows in a place but acts and modifies the knobs or controlls 2-3 centimeters higher on screen! not where the mouse is... really weird!:(
maybe you can check/fix this. (this happened to me in 0.1.0 too)
thanks !!!!!

v2.0.2 works well in mojave/logic 10.5.1...

i'm missing a few presets to begin with i have to confess...

No problem with AU for me in Logic 10.6.3 / Catalina

Thank you all for the kind words and feedback! I'm happy to hear that the plugin is working well for many of you. Let me address the issues that came up so far.

muki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:10 pm i'm missing a few presets to begin with i have to confess...
I agree. This would be useful to help people get started with using the plugin. I might add some factory presets in a future update.
Do you think it would be useful to be able to manage your own presets within the plugin too or are the preset saving/loading functions provided by DAWs sufficient?

wakax wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:40 am here on osx High Sierra and...
au wont start at all and vst3 version acts weird:
Thanks for reporting this. Could you give me some more info so I can look into this?
What DAW are you using for VST? do you see the same behaviour in other DAWs?
A few questions for the AU version:
- did you run the terminal command described in the readme?
- What daws did you try? If you have logic you should check if the Plugin Manager reports anything about the plugin.

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 am On OS X, while trying to launch the plugin in Live, I'm having this security issue
I think that is because the plugin is not signed and notarised with Apple (I'm working on that...).
Did you try the Terminal command described in the readme file?

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Emergence: granular effect plugin for mac and windows | reaper_command_palette | patreon | youtube | newsletter

daniel:
DAW: Reaper
osx High Sierra

its a weird bug- just imagine that the osx cursor is in one place and your cursor in plug is some cm above!:)

daniel_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:54 pm Do you think it would be useful to be able to manage your own presets within the plugin too or are the preset saving/loading functions provided by DAWs sufficient?
i don't care if i manage them within the plugin r the DAW's sytsem
but, since every DAW and plugin format has its own preset format
i think it will be easier for *you* to manage them

question:
is there some kind of manual ?

and speaking of:
what does "ramdonizer" do and what does ""ramdonize" do ?
what's the difference?

imho,
there needs to be some GUI improvements...sinplifications...i don't know exactly
something, that makes it more attractive to look at, simpler to operate...etc...
more inviting to change parameters...
...too many parameters at once...

imho

...but otoh...the more i play with it, the more logical and simpler it becomes :-)

muki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:48 pm question:
is there some kind of manual ?

and speaking of:
what does "ramdonizer" do and what does ""ramdonize" do ?
what's the difference?
I currently have no plans for writing and maintaining a manual. My goal is to have an interface that (along with the hover help texts) provides enough information to use the plugin. There's definitely room for improvement though.

The "Randomizer" button works like the macro/lfo buttons:
- Click the "Randomizer" button. Now a modulation amount knob is shown for each parameter.
- Adjust the smaller modulation amount knobs to assign randomization for the corresponding parameter
- Click the "Randomize" button to trigger parameter randomization. Now the parameters are randomized based on the values you set in the previous step. You can click the Reset button so the randomized parameters return to their default state.

Hope that helps

daniel_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:54 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 am On OS X, while trying to launch the plugin in Live, I'm having this security issue
I think that is because the plugin is not signed and notarised with Apple (I'm working on that...).
Did you try the Terminal command described in the readme file?

Let me know if you have any further questions!
I've been able to make it work with the privacy & security settings, all good now :tu:

Really cool little granulator. The 4 streams push the granulation to new territories. Well thought and done! :clap:
Last edited by Neon Breath on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Expansion idea for Emergence: filtering per grains, LP-BP-HP :)

Very rare feature to see in granulators. Great way to sculpt and give unique tones to the grains, especially while using modulations/lfo.

Return to “Effects”