24 Synth Supersaw Comparison

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
6750 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 am

ah i see. wonder if Novation ever will do a K-Station v2
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

1570 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 am
ah i see. wonder if Novation ever will do a K-Station v2
To be frank, I think you can just get a better sound in software these days.

User avatar
KVRist
80 posts since 25 Dec, 2010

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:18 pm


KVRian
1180 posts since 29 Sep, 2003 from Karlshamn, Sweden

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 pm

dvnation wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:18 pm
https://youtu.be/NseIER4hiyE
JP wins every time. Not saying Hive sounds bad though, it's awesome in its own way.

User avatar
KVRist
80 posts since 25 Dec, 2010

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:37 am

But which one is the JP, A or B?

AnX
KVRAF
10138 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 am

steffensen wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 pm
dvnation wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:18 pm
https://youtu.be/NseIER4hiyE
JP wins every time. Not saying Hive sounds bad though, it's awesome in its own way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the jp the first to use the term (and method of) supersaw?

So basically everything else is trying to replicate that.....or renaming it (hypersaw) to get around it...

KVRian
1180 posts since 29 Sep, 2003 from Karlshamn, Sweden

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:04 am

dvnation wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:37 am
But which one is the JP, A or B?
Oh, B of course. 🙂

User avatar
KVRAF
6750 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:18 am

Biome_Digital wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:24 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 am
ah i see. wonder if Novation ever will do a K-Station v2
To be frank, I think you can just get a better sound in software these days.
yes that is true
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRist
80 posts since 25 Dec, 2010

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:39 am

steffensen wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:04 am
dvnation wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:37 am
But which one is the JP, A or B?
Oh, B of course. 🙂
Care to elaborate? :wink:

I think Hive emulates the JP supersaw the best and the most authentic. Filter/resonance behavior is sooooo close. And it even does the infamous clicks.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

1570 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 am

AnX wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 am
steffensen wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 pm
dvnation wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:18 pm
https://youtu.be/NseIER4hiyE
JP wins every time. Not saying Hive sounds bad though, it's awesome in its own way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the jp the first to use the term (and method of) supersaw?

So basically everything else is trying to replicate that.....or renaming it (hypersaw) to get around it...
Exactly, everything else is trying to emulate it.

KVRist
273 posts since 7 Sep, 2012

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:55 am
So the JP8000/8080, Nord Lead 1-2 and the Virus were the synthesizers back then for supersaw/hypersaws but were there other synths that was just as popular aswell?
At least amongst certain artists, surely Novation Supernova. SN/SN II and Nova were nice little machines.

User avatar
KVRAF
6750 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:48 pm

subterfuge wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:41 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:55 am
So the JP8000/8080, Nord Lead 1-2 and the Virus were the synthesizers back then for supersaw/hypersaws but were there other synths that was just as popular aswell?
At least amongst certain artists, surely Novation Supernova. SN/SN II and Nova were nice little machines.
Thanks :)
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRian
884 posts since 27 Oct, 2004 from Inside the kick drum

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:12 pm

dvnation wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:37 am
But which one is the JP, A or B?
A is 8080, B is clearly soft sounding.

KVRAF
4973 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 am

pixel85 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 pm
JP6K has aliasing. It has specially simulated aliasing of JP8000/8080 which is a godfather of SuperSaws. That synth (original hardware) was used to create the first track that made SuperSaw famous (System F - Out of the blue) :)

Aliasing is actually part of the "classic sound of supersaw". Access Virus quickly became 2nd "best synth" for SuperSaw/HyperSaw. If I remember correctly, Virus has 96k SR so it can avoid (most of) aliasing.
About plugins, I remember that Spire sounded waaaay better in 96k projects (huge audible difference). Today most plugins use oversampling for SuperSaws to avoid aliasing I guess?
Diva has a switch for the JP8000 module which disables oversampling, to get aliasing :)
Image

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10536 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:11 am

keel wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:12 pm
dvnation wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:37 am
But which one is the JP, A or B?
A is 8080, B is clearly soft sounding.
:lol:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”