WHATS NEW in the Studio One 5.4 UPDATE! | NATIVE Apple M1 Silicon Support!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Where are the level meters on the mixer?

Ploki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 am - position cursor somewhere between inserts and load a new insert. Having to have FX browser open is :dog:
- load a new insert in a random slot, not "next new slot" so i.e. i have EQ on the same slot for 5 tracks with similar processing, so when i select them all i can bypass them all at the same time, that means it may have few empty insert slots in between
- replace a plugin in place. in S1 i can do that with dragging if i have FX browser open, but again. Inspector is on the left, FX Browser is on the right. :evil:
They don't have defined insert slots like Logic / PT / Cubase so you'll have to get used to the first two unless they come up with their own version of that system. I felt a similar way when I went from PT to S1 but after about 2 months it becomes second nature to work around it. There are a lot of great (mostly undocumented) shortcuts in the Console that other DAWs don't have so it evens out.

For replacing a plug-in in place, you'll have to get used to the drag and drop system as well. Yeah, the Browser is on the right and the channel is usually at least half the screen away, but CMD + F will automatically open the Browser which helps. PT and Logic do this really fast but, again, there are other mixer operations that are slower there so it evens out. Also became second nature after about 2 months.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:50 pm Where are the level meters on the mixer?
Next to each fader.

Unless you're looking for a numerical readout? In such case, what I do I put a Level Meter on the track and if you click on the insert once it will open a small view that you can see without having to bring up the window. Or use the free VU Meter that works the same.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Stan Navi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:21 pm
Marbles099 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm i think there is a bug in this which i can replicate..
can someone please try the following and see if they get it too?

- create a new song
- create an Instrument (midi) track
- create an event and open the piano roll midi editor for it
- draw in 3 x C notes each on a different octave (so C1,C2,C3 for eg)

- then try and move the event or ALT drag to duplicate it somewhere.. S1 should crash.

all other notes work it's just C where it exists across 3 or more octaves.
there are other scenarios but this is the simplest to explain so i'll just stick with this for now.

pls post back here of you get the crash or if you're ok.. might just be me.

thx.
It crashed on Mac OS Catalina. Definitely a bug.
thanks, so it's Windows & Mac..

oneway wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:38 pm
Ploki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 am - position cursor somewhere between inserts and load a new insert. Having to have FX browser open is :dog:
- load a new insert in a random slot, not "next new slot" so i.e. i have EQ on the same slot for 5 tracks with similar processing, so when i select them all i can bypass them all at the same time, that means it may have few empty insert slots in between
- replace a plugin in place. in S1 i can do that with dragging if i have FX browser open, but again. Inspector is on the left, FX Browser is on the right. :evil:
They don't have defined insert slots like Logic / PT / Cubase so you'll have to get used to the first two unless they come up with their own version of that system. I felt a similar way when I went from PT to S1 but after about 2 months it becomes second nature to work around it. There are a lot of great (mostly undocumented) shortcuts in the Console that other DAWs don't have so it evens out.

For replacing a plug-in in place, you'll have to get used to the drag and drop system as well. Yeah, the Browser is on the right and the channel is usually at least half the screen away, but CMD + F will automatically open the Browser which helps. PT and Logic do this really fast but, again, there are other mixer operations that are slower there so it evens out. Also became second nature after about 2 months.
Thanks!
I’m not inclined to switch, just dipping my toes in case apple does something dumb.

What shortcuts for console do you think are the most useful?

Ploki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 amThere's a few things in Logic i do all the time and are really throwing me off when in S1:
- position cursor somewhere between inserts and load a new insert. Having to have FX browser open is :dog:
You don't have to have the browser open, you can click on the "+" button next to the word "Inserts" which will open a mini-browser with all the same sort options you get in the big browser. That's always how I add effects. I only use the browser for instruments, as one D'n'D action creates the track and adds the instrument to it.
And S1 very obviously doesn't have fixed slots so you just drag things around once they are in there. I don't see how that trips you up.
Marbles099 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm i think there is a bug in this which i can replicate..
can someone please try the following and see if they get it too?

- create a new song
- create an Instrument (midi) track
- create an event and open the piano roll midi editor for it
- draw in 3 x C notes each on a different octave (so C1,C2,C3 for eg)

- then try and move the event or ALT drag to duplicate it somewhere.. S1 should crash.
Definitely crashes here in Windows 10. Well, not a crash so much as a freeze. I had to kill it with Task Manager. It's a very specific thing though, other combinations of notes seem to work fine.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

thanks Bones

BONES wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:15 am
Ploki wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:30 amThere's a few things in Logic i do all the time and are really throwing me off when in S1:
- position cursor somewhere between inserts and load a new insert. Having to have FX browser open is :dog:
You don't have to have the browser open, you can click on the "+" button next to the word "Inserts" which will open a mini-browser with all the same sort options you get in the big browser. That's always how I add effects. I only use the browser for instruments, as one D'n'D action creates the track and adds the instrument to it.
And S1 very obviously doesn't have fixed slots so you just drag things around once they are in there. I don't see how that trips you up.
I said already what are my quips with the + button:
- you can't load an insert between others (extra click / drag and drop action)
- you can't replace an insert (extra click / drag and drop action)
- the browser subfolders need to be manually open (extra click for each subfolder, whatever it might be)

so:
- one extra click to open a plugin if it's in a subfolder
- at least another extra click if you don't want the plugin next in line

Trust me if you work with Logic this feels incredibly silly and pointless.
Fast workflow is about less clicks and less repeated actions that can be either automated or eliminated.
Even if there were no fixed slots - there could still be an option to replace plugins, have them in dropdowns without need to click for a subfolder, and loading them between two slots.

Ploki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am
I work in Logic and S1. Ho to add, for example, 3d party EQ in logic? - You click on insert, navigate to a needed category, in this case: Audio Units - iZotope - Neutron 3 Equaliser - Stereo - click. A pretty long chain.

In S1: Click +, type "EQ", click on Neutron 3 Equaliser.

In the attachment, mouse travel in both cases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Serhii Kot on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serhii Kot wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:07 am I work in Logic and S1. Ho to add, for example, 3d party EQ in logic? - You click on insert, navigate to a needed category, in this case: Audio Units - iZotope - Neutron 3 Equaliser - Stereo - click. A pretty long chain.

Neat! :party:
now that's much better

is there a way to close plugin window? can't find an option in keyboard shortcuts and mac default won't budge

Ploki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am
Serhii Kot wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:07 am I work in Logic and S1. Ho to add, for example, 3d party EQ in logic? - You click on insert, navigate to a needed category, in this case: Audio Units - iZotope - Neutron 3 Equaliser - Stereo - click. A pretty long chain.

Neat! :party:
now that's much better

is there a way to close plugin window? can't find an option in keyboard shortcuts and mac default won't budge
You can add a shortcut to "Show Channel Editor"
In my case, command+2 shows channel editor, and command+3, command+4 switches plugins back and forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ploki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am
BONES wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:15 am
I said already what are my quips with the + button:
- the browser subfolders need to be manually open (extra click for each subfolder, whatever it might be)

so:

Fast workflow is about less clicks and less repeated actions that can be either automated or eliminated.
Even if there were no fixed slots - there could still be an option to replace plugins, have them in dropdowns without need to click for a subfolder, and loading them between two slots.
Never mind someone else managed to answer this better than did.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Ploki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 amI said already what are my quips with the + button:
Obviously I was a bit subtle last time so let me be clear - so f**king what? If that's the biggest problem you have with studio One, then you have fewer problems with it than I do and I have fewer problems with S1 than I do with any other host application. Honestly, as complaints go, this one is beyond pathetic.
Of course you can and it's easy, it's just not the way you are used to doing it. But it's possible and it's not any kind of hassle.
What sub-folders? I don't see any sub-folders. As several people have told you, you don't have to see everything in folders, that's just the default view which you can change. But again, and even more so than your other points, this is such a petty little complaint that it makes you look like you are going to incredible lengths to find fault. For me, I would f**king hate it if the sub-folders automatically opened because you'd have to hover and wait and I am not a patient person. So it's just what you are used to, it isn't in any way worse (or better), it's just different. To be unable to adapt to such petty differences really says a lot about you. And, to be clear, I've been there, been exactly like that, and all it ever did was hold me back.
Which is quicker than hovering and waiting for a folder to open on its own.
Which over the course of 100 hours of work might add 30 extra seconds. If you can't muster enough perspective to see how completely irrelevant that is, you have problems we're not going to be able to fix here.
Trust me, I wouldn't even notice. This is the mixer from the most complex song out of the more than 60 I've got up and running in Studio One. There are two more effects on the Master (I hate the way the Master is always stuck to the other side) and that's it for our latest Top 10 single. And I reckon it sounds even better than the recorded version we did in Cubase, undoubtedly with heaps more effects.

S1_Underground.jpg
No, it's not. It's about getting to where you want to go in the fewest number of steps. Adding multiple effects to every channel does not achieve that. Try doing more with less if you want to really speed up your workflow.

If I was going to complain about workflow killers in Studio One, I'd be complaining that I have to double-click to create a note in the piano roll and then I have to drag it out to the length I need. Every. Single. Time. It drives me nuts but I get that the rest of you idiots don't even realise it could be 10 times easier so I don't expect Presonus to fix it, just to make me feel more comfortable. I adapt to the environment I am working in, I take the good with the bad. I don't sweat the little things any more.
Ploki wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 amis there a way to close plugin window?
Yes, you click on the little "X" button in the top-right corner. Less effort than a hotkey because you already have your cursor in that window so you can keep playing your MIDI controller with your left hand while you do it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 am
If I was going to complain about workflow killers in Studio One, I'd be complaining that I have to double-click to create a note in the piano roll and then I have to drag it out to the length I need.
You could use the paint tool to enter notes with one click (which can also be used to delete) and also can adjust the quantize value to the note length you want so if you want to enter quarter notes set the piano roll quantize value to quarter notes.
(There Is also note length value key commands that you can assign to custom key commands)

But if you want last note entered to be the same length with the previous one , yeah that is missing.

TBH, I haven't really tried the Paint tool, I assumed it would work like it does in Orion - click and drag to paint in as many notes as you like, of the same length as the last note you entered, in one fluid movement. (You could do the same to enter patterns into the arrangement, too.) I might have to give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

What's better than changing the quantise is placing your notes at the correct start position and when you've put them all in, select-all and drag them all out together. Changing the quantise value seems like it would be more fiddly.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”