What's up at Plogue?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alter/Ego Bidule chipcrusher chipsounds chipspeech chipsynth MD chipsynth PortaFM sforzando

crickey13 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:11 pm ...and that it's a serial number activation.
Has there been talk of this? Every plogue synth I own uses an encoded png key file for activation.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:13 pm
crickey13 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:11 pm ...and that it's a serial number activation.
Has there been talk of this? Every plogue synth I own uses an encoded png key file for activation.
Or key file, yes, sorry about it, thought it was a serial activation. But yeah, I just want an offline activation, as I dislike C/R. Key file is fine.

The DX7 plugin was hinted at a couple weeks ago.
Which would be the 3rd FM chipsynth out of 4 (the other one being PCM).
I was hoping it was going to be a PSG emulation, either for the Famicom or C64 :cry:

There's so many dx emulations, I'd cry if that was it. Plogue stuff doesn't have the best UIs so I probably wouldn't use it over the Arturia one I already own.

Hoping desperately for it to be the NES/Famicom emulation. Chipsounds is not suitable for NES chiptune because it omits some modulations from the tracker/sequencer thing, like fine pitch I think it was. Some of the game sounds I tried to recreate, I was unable to do so. David said the NES specific synth wouldn't have the same issue.

Does Plogue allow license transfers? I haven't used chipsounds in about a year, since I found out it wasn't suitable for NES emulation shortly after buying.

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:23 pm Does Plogue allow license transfers? I haven't used chipsounds in about a year, since I found out it wasn't suitable for NES emulation shortly after buying.
I would like to know this as well, but because of its microscopic GUI rather than what it does.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:23 pm There's so many dx emulations, I'd cry if that was it. Plogue stuff doesn't have the best UIs so I probably wouldn't use it over the Arturia one I already own.
Arturia UI seems clunky/ugly as hell to me. Also no microtonality in that one. And i never trust anyone but Plogue actually nailing the exact quality.

Really hope that the DX is next. Yes, Plogue has 2 FM synths already but they are very different in sound and style from the DX7.

This is my most anticipated synth in a long time.

^^ I agree. Plogues attention to detail is second to none.

What are the inaccuracies with the Arturia version?

Arturia is nowhere near Plogue's level of Chip emulation as you can see in multiple youtube videos, while Aturia's effort it's a good one and the synth a sure brings you to the ball park it's not bit accurate as Plogue synths are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvGk_fcIo8&t=42s

The GUI is similar to Ableton's that it doesn't fit everybody but I sure love it as I do Ableton.

I'm not even sure what bit accurate means. You can't test accuracy with every possible permutation of settings. Im also assuming that the analog stage is excised and somehow an accurate bitstream is sampled prior to the dac? I can't imagine the analog stages are being emulated.

Anyways, yeah the Arturia is a good emulation. No emulation including the Plogue will be perfect. NES should take precedent IMO because there's no good NES emulation synths available, although chipsounds is almost usable.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:41 pm I'm not even sure what bit accurate means. You can't test accuracy with every possible permutation of settings.

Sure, but you can get statistically close, especially if you fuzz (randomize) settings and live compare a lot. If someone spots a differences between the real chip hardware and our emulations (and we actually can confirm it) we treat this as a bug. We then create new hardware tests, and re-run our regression suite on the whole thing making sure nothing is broken. I have videos covering that on my personal YT channel.

Cheers
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

it's been released, it seems, for anyone interested. 8) congratulations, plogue!

Disappointed, but I'll still probably buy it. The wait for a proper NES vst continues. I hope the c64 doesn't come out first, since that's yet again something that already has a bunch of good emulations that exist on the market.

I gotta say, having had a hand in OPS7, I'm very happy how it turned out, so I hope you guys like it! (link)

Return to “Instruments”