Coming Soon: RX 9

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

surferman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 am RX 8 standard is better than my RX 7 advanced for the type of noise reduction I do as a hobbyist.
advanced doesn't make sense for my uses. standard does plenty.

surferman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 am RX 8 standard is better than my RX 7 advanced for the type of noise reduction I do as a hobbyist.
Explain.

I did test the demo for RX 8 when it came out and couldn't find anything really different to the spectral denoising capabilities.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Trensharo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm RX has plugins that run on HDX DSP hardware.

Those plugins are offloaded from the host PC to the HDX hardware. They use practically no CPU and have practically no latency in those situations. I'm talking 3-5 msec latency recording through the plug-in...
Thanks for elaborating! I believe that you're referring to AAX DSP? Unfortunately, there aren't many options for noise reduction with AAX DSP support. The only plug-in I'm aware of is McDSP's NR800.

Best,
Stian

RX8 standard upgrade from previous version with free upgrade to RX9 for $83 at JRR. I was at RX7 so I went ahead and got it.

I am currently using the RX6 Standard (but still smaller than the Spectralyers 7/8), but I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in noise cleaning compared to the RX8 Standard.

I'm waiting for the announcement MPS5, to get RX9, as well as hope to update Ozone and Neutron. So I don't want to update RX6 separately. I assume that upgrading from MPS1 to MPS5 will be more beneficial.

Why isn't this thread in effects forum?
Is iZotope considered to be a host?

Saffran wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am Why isn't this thread in effects forum?
It hosts VSTs so err .....it is a host

I get that it isn't something for recording a band but it has pretty much all the functions of a host - you an record, edit using VST etc. You can't easily make a song with those bits you recorded but the forum is Hosts not DAWs.
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:36 am
Saffran wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am Why isn't this thread in effects forum?
It hosts VSTs so err .....it is a host

I get that it isn't something for recording a band but it has pretty much all the functions of a host - you an record, edit using VST etc. You can't easily make a song with those bits you recorded but the forum is Hosts not DAWs.
:tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Trying to decide whether or not to get just rx advanced or the post production suite. Price difference is $85. I’m not sure I see myself using all the other titles but the price diff is negligible. I'm trying not to clutter up my machine with demoware. Are there any other gems in there? Like is Neutron better than just using a standard channel strip like trackplug?

stian wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:05 am
Trensharo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm RX has plugins that run on HDX DSP hardware.

Those plugins are offloaded from the host PC to the HDX hardware. They use practically no CPU and have practically no latency in those situations. I'm talking 3-5 msec latency recording through the plug-in...
Thanks for elaborating! I believe that you're referring to AAX DSP? Unfortunately, there aren't many options for noise reduction with AAX DSP support. The only plug-in I'm aware of is McDSP's NR800.

Best,
Stian
There could be another ;-)

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

bmanic wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:23 am
Trensharo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
stian wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 am Hi!
Trensharo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 pm RX is used a lot in post production. You can't run Acoustica stuff on a Pro Tools HDX system without the "VST Latency" and high CPU use.
This made me curious -- would it be possible to elaborate on this? Audio restoration plug-ins tend to have rather long latencies in general, but as far as I know, our plug-ins have shorter latencies and lower CPU usage than the corresponding offerings from most competitors. Even our deep learning based plug-ins such as Extract:Dialogue are available as plug-ins with automation support. Why is it harder to use the Acon Digital plug-ins with an HDX system? You're of course entitled to your opinion, and I usually don't comment on these, but I just wanted to know if there's something we've missed.

Best,
Stian
RX has plugins that run on HDX DSP hardware.

You can record through these plugins and the latency will be less than the latency of a budget interface on a PC recording with no plug-ins.

This is important when recording dialog or doing ADR.

For home studio use, this is ignorable as most won't be using that hardware or comparable setups.

For the markets where RX truly dominates, it's kind of a big deal.

Citing price and price alone makes no sense, because the price is typically a result of competitors not going where that solution goes, leaving them with fewer competitors in a key market. RX isn't really priced for bedroom producers, beyond the Elements SKU (and promotions).

And personally, I would own both Acoustica and RX as they aren't solutions that target the same niches to me. But I already have WaveLab for the other stuff, and already own too many plug-ins.

They aren't harder to use. Just less efficient and less practical at the higher end of the market. Avid has Hybrid Engine, now.
The real money for any audio software in today's world is in the amateur/home studio/typical producer-mixer market. This also means basic podcasting studios and what not.

For this market, iZotope RX doesn't any sense any more. Acoustica 7 is a much better deal and at least last time I compared my RX version to theirs, it was superior (I have RX Advanced at version 7) in pretty much every way I could think of comparing.

Sure.. for Pro Tools HDX owners, this may not be the case but of all the studios I knew that ran Pro Tools HDX systems have abandoned them a long time ago. They are running custom configurations of Pro Tools now (3rd party AD/DA conversion etc on powerful macs or PCs). HDX is extremely rare as far as I can tell. And all the purchasing power is in this general domain.

That means 99.9% of the people reading this thread will be much better off with Acustica 7 in my opinion.. if they were ever considering something like RX Advanced to begin with.

iZotope is also notoriously bad at fixing bugs and updating their software. They have a whole slew of almost abandonware products so it's not a good company to bet any money on. Acon Digital has proven with their track record to be the exact opposite. So yeah, whatever floats your boat. :)
Nope.

That's only if the company developing the software and hardware target that market. Avid, not so much... And the higher SKUs of RX absolutely not. The pricing alone belies any assumptions that they are targeting this at that market segment. You cannot even use AAX DSP without Pro Tools | Ultimate, which itself is like $1,599 (or a pretty hefty subscription) - and no one in the post industry is using Pro Tools | Standard as Avid has been very tactful in how it separates the two product SKUs (for Post Production, you're basically forced to Pro Tools | Ultimate).

If you're just a podcaster or YouTuber/VLOGer/etc. or bedroom producer, you often can get by with JUST RX Elements, which is routinely $19-29, so Standard and Advanced (never mind Post Production Suite, etc.) are largely irrelevant to that market.

And I'd probably bias to SpectraLayers (ARA2, DeMixing, etc.) over RX in that market segment, anyways.

The people who they are targeting this at are those who are buying interfaces that cost more than (somewhat likely) most forum posters' production PCs.

At Bolded: I have Ozone/Neutron Advanced and Nectar Plus, along with VocalSynth, NeoVerb and a few other products. I have not run into any bugs with them, and I use them heavily.

As for Exponential Audio. That is an acquisition and iZotope keeps the products around becasue they work and they work well. However, everyone knows that those products are out-of-development and they should not expect upgrades for them. Most people who are buying them are buying them only when they are extremely discounted, and even in their current state they are better than almost anything that competes with their heavily discounted price.

Exponential Audio stereo are superseded by iZotope NeoVerb. If you want an update to most of them, that is it. I'd expect the Surround Reverbs to be superseded by the next version of NeoVerb.

Companies buy and sunset products all of the time. EA Products are only a risk if you're on macOS. If you're on Windows, they will almost assuredly keep working as well as they do (which is, extremely well) for at least another decade or so.

As for iZotope's flagship products, I am simply not seeing any obvious bugginess in my use that would have me sitting around pouting becasue they aren't shipping updates all of the time. Frankly, I can do without the extra PC Maintenance... but, that's just me!

And again, I would never buy Acoustica over RX because to me the two products are targetted at different market segments. I would buy Acoustica over Sound Forge Pro or WaveLab Pro. RX competes more with SpectraLayers than it does with Acoustica. The fact that you get a few redundant plug-ins doesn't really change much, at the end of the day. The two co-exist quite peacefully.

I can understand having to choose and make some compromises if your budget is really THAT limited, though...
Last edited by Trensharo on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:39 pm Trying to decide whether or not to get just rx advanced or the post production suite. Price difference is $85. I’m not sure I see myself using all the other titles but the price diff is negligible. I'm trying not to clutter up my machine with demoware. Are there any other gems in there? Like is Neutron better than just using a standard channel strip like trackplug?
All of iZotope's plug-ins integrate, so in effect the entire suite is like a massive channel strip.

Nectar
Neutron
NeoVerb
VocalSynth
Insight
Tonal Balance Control
Ozone

These are all inter-connected, now.

But, none of that matters if you will use something else in their stead. The benefits are large if you commit to the iZotope ecosystem but decrease as you use more third-party products over their iZotope equivalents.

I'm not sure how RX fits into this, as I don't use the bigger versions due to a lack of need for them (at the moment). My guess is that it doesn't tie in as well, due to its general function within their product portfolio.

As for whether it's worth it... it depends on how much of you will use re: the other plug-ins. It may be cheaper to get MPS4 and upgrade to RX Advanced during a sale than the other way around.

IMO, the value of something like Music Production Suite 4 or Tonal Balance Bundle are highest for people who are just getting into music production and will buy these during a sale as a set of bread-and-butter mix/master/production/restoration plug-ins.

If you already have a thousand other plug-ins, and are used to using them, then whether it's worth it to invest in them and learn to use them, etc. is extremely personal (and situational). However, there are workflow benefits once you learn how to use them in tandem.

There are third party plug-ins that offer more functionality - and possibly more power - than iZotope plug-in modules, but the price is a lot higher buying those (i.e. FabFilter Bundle) than getting the iZotope stuff on sale.

Trensharo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:22 am There could be another ;-)
You can check for yourself if you want. Pro Tools Expert maintains a large list of AAX plug-ins that includes information about AAX DSP support: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/aax-pl ... ch=Izotope.

Best,
Stian

Trensharo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:29 am As for iZotope's flagship products, I am simply not seeing any obvious bugginess in my use that would have me sitting around pouting becasue they aren't shipping updates all of the time.
I guess you got in the RX Advanced game a lot later than I did. I bought RX Advanced when it was first released as it was the only option back then (well there was always CEDAR but that didn't justify the cost for our operation back then). Updated through RX2/4/6/7.

The pattern of their updates and support changed significantly about 4 years ago. Where they used to be quite responsive to bug reports and some usability feature requests, it all suddenly stopped. Don't know if some anonymous huge corporation got hold of them but something happened to the iZotope I used to respect and love.

This is partly the reason I do not recommend any iZotope products to anybody any more and think that for advanced audio restoration Acoustica 7 would be a better option considering the track record of both companies in the previous years. Especially if you are running the latest Mac M1 system.

Don't get me wrong though, RX Advanced is a formidable package and really well done. It just doesn't give the bang for the buck it used to. Thus my disagreement with you.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

It kills me when companies make an announcement of an announcement. Just f**king tell us about RX9 and be done with it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”