Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

Edouard Arturia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:59 pm Support reaueats are definitely easier to track for the QA and directly drives the bug fixes priority 😁
Ok will do. :tu:

Oh and my vote goes to an Ensoniq VFX as the next synth. :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The digital emulations are my favourite synths :) So, I would suggest another digital emulation in the future. Maybe one of the three:
Yamaha VL1 (or better VP1!)
Kawai K5000
Kurzweil 2500 ;)

Edouard Arturia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm So in your opinion which one will be the next?
You guys did an amazing job on Jup-8 V4. I really hope to see CS-80 and Matrix-12 get the same kind of refresh.
Stormchild

Edouard Arturia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm
Thanks for the kind words !
My pleasure, Edouard! Really appreciate you and Arturia working so hard at it! If interest in the SQ 80 V here is any indication, you're definitely on the right track to producing interesting, very high level emulations of classic digital gear with thoughtful additional features!
Sadly , CPU usage is directly related to the fact that it sounds good.
We push the modelling deeper, resulting in more natural and organic sounding engines.
It's like sport cars, these comsume more fuel than the regular ones 😁
That's understood.
About the next updates, I can say that we are happy to keep updating our old engines.
And of course we aim at working on the ones people are eager so see updated.
So in your opinion which one will be the next?
I brought up the CS 80 V because it's already at 3.9x - so close! And there are not a lot of CS80 emulations out there that imho really do the beast justice! Good ones and better; but not great ones. Arturia recently proved to me that you are fully capable of doing a gorgeous emulation of a classic analog synthesizer with your current Jupe V4, so I'm hopeful that your CS 80 V can be noticeably elevated as well.

Now if Arturia wants to do an emulation that would set the synth world on fire, at the cost of significant time and recourses, there is a beast that sits at the top of the food chain - easily one of the most significant milestones in stand-alone polyphonic synthesizer history: the Yamaha GX-1; distinguished parent of the CS-80:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GX-1

When you're ready. It'll be a biggie.

In the meantime: I strongly agree with some others here on KVR to continue down the Ensoniq path for now: tweak, tweak, tweak your SQ emu; then a VFX emulation would logically be next in line.

And Fizmo: have you taken a good cursory look at that synth engine yet?

Anyway: Thanks so much for giving us some of your precious time, Edouard! It means a lot!
-GA

Next......Mirage ..

...complete with the oh-so-cool lofi user-sampling ability..maybe updated MASOS....and including every sound ever found on floppy for the Mirage (I probably have ten zillion floppies from my first two 1984 dsk8s).

By the way, Arturia.....your work is astounding! I owned almost every hardware version of what you make. I'm soooo happy to support you guys!

Am I missing it, or have Arturia left out the oscillator sync and AM capability of the SQ-80? What a shame if they didn't include this. The SQ-80 is one of the only synths I know of where you can do oscillator sync with samples. You could get some great metallic synth sounds this way.
-Tom

https://assemblage23.bandcamp.com
http:/helix.bandcamp.com

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:45 pm
gaggle of hermits wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:31 pm it wound up at creative labs/creative technology along with e-mu.

https://trademarks.justia.com/735/24/en ... 24524.html
Creative Labs are the ones who used to make those cheap computer sound cards I think. I never owned one myself so I have no experience with them. So, they are the owners of Ensoniq and E-MU now? interesting.
They released really good sound cards and midi controllers under the Emu brand. Some people still use the Emu PCI sound cards like the 1820 and 1212. They all had good specs for the time.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

tshear23 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 am Am I missing it, or have Arturia left out the oscillator sync and AM capability of the SQ-80? What a shame if they didn't include this. The SQ-80 is one of the only synths I know of where you can do oscillator sync with samples. You could get some great metallic synth sounds this way.
there is sync and AM for oscillator 2. according to the manual at least!

theviirus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 am
tshear23 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 am Am I missing it, or have Arturia left out the oscillator sync and AM capability of the SQ-80? What a shame if they didn't include this. The SQ-80 is one of the only synths I know of where you can do oscillator sync with samples. You could get some great metallic synth sounds this way.
there is sync and AM for oscillator 2. according to the manual at least!
You probably missed it... it's located in the osc2 section, in the synthesis panel

Edouard Arturia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm Thanks for the kind words !
Sadly , CPU usage is directly related to the fact that it sounds good.
We push the modelling deeper, resulting in more natural and organic sounding engines.
It's like sport cars, these consume more fuel than the regular ones 😁

About the next updates, I can say that we are happy to keep updating our old engines.
While the version numbering of CS-80V obviously is closer, I guess either the 2600 V or the Prophet V. Those fit more to the definition of "workhorse", and would get much more usage and noise after a marketed major update in a way of Jup-8V.
Also - how to say - other companies' software and hardware products raised more noise around the Arp 2600, so after release, comparison videos would also be effective sales tools if the emulation is done authentic.

Only guessing here, but in Arturia's place I would have considered the Korg MS-20V. I believe Korg missed to exploit their advantage, and the tide is high now for such a synth.

As the SQ-80 V is here, I have no specific stuff to "request" and am happy to see anything you guys come up with.

I would put the CS-80, Prophet and Minimoog on top of the priority list as they are the most iconic, legendary and important instruments in the line-up.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

Dear M. Arturia
In my humble opinion, the No. 1 priority for an urgent makeover is the sadly crippled Arturia iProphet for iPadOS.

Even though it appears to be an adaption by some outfit called Retronyms, it's your name on it. And, IMO, it is a disgrace and bad PR for Arturia.

I owned a Prophet VS many years ago, so I have a 'special relationship' to it. I have your Mac OS Prophet V3, of course, and was happy when, as a recent iPad Pro owner, I found the Arturia iProphet. Honestly, I was bitterly disappointed.

Neither key velocity nor aftertouch are implemented in the iProphet!

They were, of course, present on the original HW (in fact, the flimsy steel chassis made it imperative to put the Sequential VS on an absolutely flat surface or everything would get aftertouch!). They're also implemented in your Mac version. So, why on Earth not in the iProphet?

Further, iProphet is in urgent need of being updated to an AUv3 version to remain competitive. And the current version crashes frequently in iPadOS 14.8.

Please, M. Arturia – spend some TLC on iProphet!

Kind regards,
Joachim S.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Etienne1973 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:02 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:19 pm
luvst wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:55 pm Great, thanks.
One last question, i really like the ESQ Mirage Bowed Strings patch.
Does someone knows if that would also somehow importable in the SQ 80 V ?
If you have downloaded the .syx file collections and can find the bank that patch is contained then yes it can be imported in the SQ80V. If I happen to come across it I'll let you know what bank it's in. :tu:
@luvst: Do you mean the famous Ensoniq Mirage Sampler Strings like in that video at 3:07?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6FV6b0cbE&t=187s
Hi Etienne1973, thanks for your reply.

Yes that's the one!

Edouard Arturia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm About the next updates, I can say that we are happy to keep updating our old engines.
I know that being older, CS-80 takes precedence, but a real 8 voice SEM-V would be awesome.

You look young for your age. :hug:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Instruments”