Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:16 am

olepro wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 am
i wish Arturia would add sysex import via midi directly from the SQ-80 hardware synth, just like the SQ8L can do. But SQ 80 V can do so much else, so I can probably live without :-)
Yes that would be great. It should be possible to add this feature (and Arturia seems to listen to their users a bit better than the others).

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 am

Really though we can also thank Ensoniq (for a bunch of awesome, the ESQ1/SQ80, the gritty Mirage, the EPS/16+, TS, Fizmo, DP/4). A company that dared to be unique.
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:59 am
Never owned any hardware synth, but SQ80 V sounds awesome to me. Great job, Arturia!
Last edited by jojoB3 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:27 am

Incorrect. I 'did' ($200). And a week and a half another did as well ($300). They're definitely vintage but they're out there, including the ESQ1 and VFX.
AnX wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm


As I thought, you can't.

User avatar
KVRAF
2816 posts since 14 Feb, 2001 from What do you care? :)

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 am

Now to maybe get a Hydrasynth Explorer, which might be a nice mini controller for this as well as the CS80v besides being a very powerful synth.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

User avatar
KVRAF
2816 posts since 14 Feb, 2001 from What do you care? :)

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 am

double post
Last edited by Sequent on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:38 am

Plus you captured the 80's of the SQ80 in the UI feel and look.
I have a vintage SQ80 and your vst sounds great! It's about time a quality Ensoniq ESQ/SQ 80 VST surfaced.

BTW: Your SparkLE (with the Arturia Spark hardware) is still one of my favorites.
Edouard Arturia wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:56 pm
Hello people.
I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words here, even the non-fanboys delivered some love, so I felt the need to send some love too :wink:
SQ80 was a really fun project, I've enjoyed working on it and I'm really pleased to see the product out now.
I hope you will enjoy exchanging and importing your presets and can't way to hear some songs posted here.
All the best & keep making great music.

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:59 am

It's really the closest to the original and I think a must have for those looking for that old Ensoniq sound (but for the fx, which is a feature to most). Made really useful for those working in the box with all the additional features.

UVI's ESQ is sample based so this product is much needed. One can get by with (the old) SQ8L but this is the one to pick up for those digging in deeper than patch hunting with the SQ80.

If you can take advantage of the upgrade offer do it.

Working on the (vintage) board itself is obviously different, every param 1-2 quick button presses away, the beautiful simplicity of it's sequencer, and the crazy/awesome you can come up with via outboard fx make it one of the most important synths.
davidka wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:09 pm
@JojoB3 - I guess you own the original(s): Did you try this plugin, what is your opinion about the sound?

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:08 am

No, I own vintage synths. Those who do know exactly all the differences (from sound to workflow).
But, when mouse/and screen are claimed 'easier/better' than working directly on these Ensoniq boards you're definitely going to hear otherwise.

Also, there's little reason for this banter, everyone including myself is here because THEY FINALLY BROUGHT AN ENSONIQ PRODUCT TO THE MASSES (in full).

Sit
Down

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:11 pm


Ok now I know you've received a severe head wound at some point.


AnX
KVRAF
10163 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 am

jojoB3 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:27 am
Incorrect. I 'did' ($200). And a week and a half another did as well ($300). They're definitely vintage but they're out there, including the ESQ1 and VFX.
AnX wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm


As I thought, you can't.
You could say anything without evidence, but evidence of online sales proves otherwise, and 200 is not close, its double, so your point is moot.

KVRist
178 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 am

This seems like an official license release by Arturia.

Isn't Ensoniq long dead though? Not that any of this is important or matters to any of us users, but did Arturia license it from somebody else?

Which company owns the Ensoniq name these days?

KVRist
76 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:18 am

You forgot 'free'. I even said 'free'.

Nobody but you is responsible for your inadequacies.

You offer nothing of interest to me. You and I are done talking. Bye.


AnX wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 am
You could say anything without evidence, but evidence of online sales proves otherwise, and 200 is not close, its double, so your point is moot.

KVRist
300 posts since 18 Jul, 2021

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:31 am

Synth Master Jedi wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 am
Which company owns the Ensoniq name these days?
it wound up at creative labs/creative technology along with e-mu.

https://trademarks.justia.com/735/24/en ... 24524.html

KVRAF
2349 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:44 am

There is always a benefit to efficient code.I"'m an owner of a 5950x here as well. I think the poster is referencing this to the free plugin which sounds great and sips the cpu.

briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:42 am
I just buy a strong enough CPU to handle anything. 5950x. Much better investment than more kinda-slightly-different-than-what-I-already-have plugins, if you have to choose between the two.

KVRist
178 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 am

gaggle of hermits wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:31 am
it wound up at creative labs/creative technology along with e-mu.

https://trademarks.justia.com/735/24/en ... 24524.html
Creative Labs are the ones who used to make those cheap computer sound cards I think. I never owned one myself so I have no experience with them. So, they are the owners of Ensoniq and E-MU now? interesting.

AnX
KVRAF
10163 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:46 am

jojoB3 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:18 am
You forgot 'free'. I even said 'free'.

Nobody but you is responsible for your inadequacies.

You offer nothing of interest to me. You and I are done talking. Bye.


AnX wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 am
You could say anything without evidence, but evidence of online sales proves otherwise, and 200 is not close, its double, so your point is moot.
So you can't offer any evidence, no surprise there.

Hopefully you'll stick to your word, worthless as it is.

Return to “Instruments”