Hardware effects anyone?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
KVRist
48 posts since 11 Feb, 2005

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm mainly a guitar player and I have a bunch of hardware instruments and fx, but my main guitar processor a Rocktron Intellifex. I thought it was irreplaceable because it has a unique sound. Well, not really unique, I gigged with it for years and got used to the sound. Anyway, It doesn't get as much usage as of late because software has finally caught up with it. My other hardware edges out the software equivalencies but I'm hoping DSP will Catch up sooner than later. Mainly because having a few racks of gear, a computer and a 100 watt tube head on at the same time heats the room up too much and I don't want to install an air conditioner.

KVRist
207 posts since 25 May, 2012 from Sunny Philly

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Love pedals and hardware FX

My DAWless rack is

2 X KT 1176
2 x KT EQP
2 X KT 2A
KT BBD 320 (not really clones, but neither are the comps very usable though)
Midiverb II
2 x TNC ACMP-73
1 GAP 73JR

Digitech Polara
Digitech Nautila
Digitech Obscura
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Boss Wazacraft DC-2
Source Audio LA Lady

DAW

KT BBD 320
Boss RV500
Boss VE500
2 x GAP 73

The rest is UAD

Have a ton of other pedals but they're for my guitars.

KVRAF
11535 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:37 am

It's been a while since I posted to this thread and things have changed a lot since I posted those pictures. I no longer keep my pedals in a pile on the floor! :lol:
I have some pedal boards now! So still technically on the floor... but more organized now. :hihi:
I'll grab some new pictures tonight, if I remember.

KVRist
123 posts since 25 May, 2020

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 am

Robertovoid wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:03 am
Friendly Noise wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:49 am
Strymon Nightsky begs to be tweaked live:

https://youtu.be/6u5FhtEhP3A
Nightsky is an awesome machine. I've been looking at it for quite some time now, as there are amazing features not available to big sky itself (e.g. the midi sequencer, which pairs greatly with any arp/synth/etc)

The only thing that is restraining me to get it is the price. It's a damn crazy huge price. It comes at the price of a synth.
And when it comes to multi HW, like my case, i prefer to have digital instances in ableton, where I can setup multiple FX per tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCt4iREq_w
Here is a new video featuring the Nightsky. Some parts are just 100% wet sounds. I found them so nice that I put dedicated time stamps to directly jump to those parts in the video sections.
Unfortunately, the Nightsky is not an inexpensive unit. :-(

https://youtu.be/zm90Bh_gI6E

addled muppet weed
86136 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:45 am

justin3am wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:37 am
It's been a while since I posted to this thread and things have changed a lot since I posted those pictures. I no longer keep my pedals in a pile on the floor! :lol:
I have some pedal boards now! So still technically on the floor... but more organized now. :hihi:
I'll grab some new pictures tonight, if I remember.
did i miss a memo?
we're not supposed to just pile them on the floor now?
since when?

KVRAF
2502 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:30 am

OMG!! Way more rack units, hardware ampsims & stompboxes than any one person
should be allowed to have.....LOL :hihi:
we're not supposed to just pile them on the floor now?
Apparently I missed that memo too! :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:34 am

Well, here's proof I'm a hypocrite:
I clearly still have piles of pedals on the floor... but they are mostly hooked up now!

addled muppet weed

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:57 pm

you've got a cvilization on your pedal board :o 8)

KVRAF
11376 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm

I’m not sure why, but every time I buy hardware effects, I don’t use them. Well, except for my AxeFX 3 and UAD Apollo. I bought a Poly Digit, and its brilliant, but I can’t for the life of me get myself to use it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 am

vurt wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:57 pm
Yeah, I use it as a modulation matrix for pedals which have CV/Expression inputs. I have it setup to respond to MIDI, so I can change presets from that Pacer foot controller in the image.

addled muppet weed

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:22 am

justin3am wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 am
vurt wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:57 pm
Yeah, I use it as a modulation matrix for pedals which have CV/Expression inputs. I have it setup to respond to MIDI, so I can change presets from that Pacer foot controller in the image.
how is it put together?
did you put rails on to a pedal board yourself?

just thinking, some of the fx in euro, don't have pedal options (many have close enough i guess...) a few like that incorporated in to the pedal board, is far less hassle than dragging a whole synth as well to my friends for a jam :hihi:

KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:25 am

It's in a 4ms Pod 34X, which gets power from one of my Cioks PSUs.

KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:16 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm
I’m not sure why, but every time I buy hardware effects, I don’t use them. Well, except for my AxeFX 3 and UAD Apollo. I bought a Poly Digit, and its brilliant, but I can’t for the life of me get myself to use it.
When I was mostly working in the box, it was way easier to bring hardware instruments into the fold than effects. Now, it's easier to use outboard effects because I'm not using my DAW for that kind of thing as much. Using hardware effects with a DAW requires more work, more I/O, you're potentially adding noise each round trip and it's certainly not as immediate as using a plug-in, so it's pretty easy to understand where you are coming from. :-)

I've been using Overbridge and eMote a lot more lately in an attempt to bring some of what I liked about working with DAWs, into my hardware work flow. I forgot how nice it is to be able to save a devices settings with a project, without having make patch lists or take pictures of knob positions, lol.
Last edited by justin3am on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

addled muppet weed

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:18 am

justin3am wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:25 am
It's in a 4ms Pod 34X, which gets power from one of my Cioks PSUs.
ah cool 8)
thanks.

KVRian
1392 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:54 am

So I got GFI Skylar. The sound is phenomenal! Also as this is my first digital pedal in the chain... I got awesome level of noise as a bonus :D
I had to order isolated power supply to replace my daisy chain. It hurts so much... I could have a full bag of chinese clone pedals in that price :D

As someone who work mainly in studio environment (rack effects etc), guitar pedals seems to be full of suprises: different type of noise issues, inconsistency of I/O position, inconsistency of power requirements... I almost feel sorry for guitarists who perform live and they have even more issues to deal with.
Fortunately the sound and fun of playing with pedals, compensate these issues :)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”