The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:55 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:04 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:50 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:13 am
elxsound wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:01 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:17 am Another oldie. Bad recording but really cool tune.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/fools
I know you say it's a bad recording, but I really like this one. Just when I would have suggested adding some vocal backing tracks, they kick in. The keys around the 1:15 are rushed and the keys towards the end, they play it too safe missing the feeling that you get from the guitar BUT the feeling and general framework are there. I hope you revisit this track to flesh it out.

I also hope you keep it "warm" like it's currently recorded.

Side note: I saw the previous comment just before I started to write, and it reminded me that I never listen to the words. I would make the world's worst DJ at a wedding. Even earlier today the missus pointed out a favorite song of mine was actually a breakup song. All I could respond was that with as pretty as it sounded, I would never have guessed!
There is no question that there is a ton about this song, performance and recording wise, that's a train wreck. Took me a long time to get to where I am today. But this is still one of my favorite songs for the pure writing.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback.
Is there any chance you would revisit/re-record this one?
There was a time I would have but just recently I did just that with another old song of mine because the group I write for wanted to do it but needed a MIDI file to work from. So I redid the whole song.

Here is the original

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/the-only-one-1

Here is the remake

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -one-remix

Mind you, I tried to make the remake as close as possible to the original. As you can see, it doesn't even begin to capture the magic of the original recording with all its warts.

So no, I am not redoing any of my old songs anymore.
Please don’t take my response as pushing you to do something you know you don’t want to do… I just want to point out that the difference is the choice in mixing. I hit play on the iPad so I can’t name specifics but there’s major differences in instrument gain levels, stereo placement and EQ (the original has more highs rolled off making it a warmer recording). That’s all stuff to worry about if you’re trying to polish it up. The new version is thin, but that’s fixable with saturation, EQ, compression, and tape emulation.
The original was recorded on a Teac A3440 4 channel analog tape recorder with all analog equipment in real time. No EQ, compression or anything. Just hot to the tape. The remake was done in Cubase 11 with VSTs. So there is no way you can even begin to compare the two and no way to come anywhere close to the sound of the original. Not with the equipment that I have now. Yes, all my old stuff had a warmth and fatness to it that I have yet to figure out how to get in an all digital domain and I have tried everything.

Surely though, you have to hear that the original recording is horrible. It's probably 6 db too loud and has frequency problems in numerous places whereas the remake is flat all across the bands. Just take SPAN to it and you'll see.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson about redoing my old stuff.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:40 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 pm
I have no doubt you will blow this out of the water. LOL

Have fun!
ive done the best i can, from looking at your pic and what i have available.
enjoying it played slowwwww...
get a real "forbidden planet" vibe :tu:

may even switch to spring reverb instead of delay :o

will post some "bits" maybe later, maybe tomorrow :hihi:
Can't wait to hear 'em.
wags speak

few differences obviously due to different modules, plus, i added a second filter. on the square wave before the mixer, and my final filter is the lovely polivoks :D
some nice moments here n there, and some lovely rumbles in the lows 8)

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:29 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:40 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 pm
I have no doubt you will blow this out of the water. LOL

Have fun!
ive done the best i can, from looking at your pic and what i have available.
enjoying it played slowwwww...
get a real "forbidden planet" vibe :tu:

may even switch to spring reverb instead of delay :o

will post some "bits" maybe later, maybe tomorrow :hihi:
Can't wait to hear 'em.
wags speak

few differences obviously due to different modules, plus, i added a second filter. on the square wave before the mixer, and my final filter is the lovely polivoks :D
some nice moments here n there, and some lovely rumbles in the lows 8)
Love it! Those low rumbles are wicked and that polivoks filter, whatever it does, is awesome.

Thanks for doing this for me. It is much appreciated.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:47 pm Thanks for doing this for me. It is much appreciated.
not a problem at all :)
thank you for the patch idea :tu:
was lots of fun :ud:

You know, this is so frustrating. My group leader just emailed me and said one of the members wants to do another one of my songs. Problem is, it's an old one with no MIDI file and they won't work on anything without a MIDI file.

I really like this one too.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/killing-me

what part they need the midi for? can you not just do a basic arrangement, as theyre going to rerecord it?
assuming they will use real guitar, drums, bass?

pain in the arse maybe, but its all royalties :tu:

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:03 pm what part they need the midi for? can you not just do a basic arrangement, as theyre going to rerecord it?
assuming they will use real guitar, drums, bass?

pain in the arse maybe, but its all royalties :tu:
I don't even remember the chords for this song it was done so long ago. And if the arrangement and recording aren't good enough they won't do it. Another song I redid ended up being rejected because the new version wasn't up to par. I get it. You need the inspiration from the recording you're working with. If it's not there, the desire to do it dies with it.

8th track from my upcoming CD "Short Takes"

This is just one of those songs that wrote itself. Wrote and recorded in a matter of hours. I think they call this inspiration.

Lyrics:

Don't Be Shy

Yeah, I'm looking at you
Don't turn away
I think you're cute
And I got something to say
I wanna be your guy
So don't be shy

I noticed you from afar
You really caught my eye
How bout you hop in my car
And maybe we can fly
I wanna be your guy
So don't be shy

I know you think you're a plain Jane
That love'll pass you by
But I think you're sexy as hell
So how bout give it a try

I know just what I like
And baby that is you
Hey babe I think you're all right
I like the things that you do
So let me be your guy
And don't be shy

Instrumental Break

Repeat Last Verse

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/dont-be-shy

wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm You know, this is so frustrating. My group leader just emailed me and said one of the members wants to do another one of my songs. Problem is, it's an old one with no MIDI file and they won't work on anything without a MIDI file.

Is it just the chords they want? I have DeCoda which will easily give me the chords of your song, key and bpm etc.
If they want the melody notes, thats a bit harder.
(cool song by the way)

Bansaw wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:25 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm You know, this is so frustrating. My group leader just emailed me and said one of the members wants to do another one of my songs. Problem is, it's an old one with no MIDI file and they won't work on anything without a MIDI file.

Is it just the chords they want? I have DeCoda which will easily give me the chords of your song, key and bpm etc.
If they want the melody notes, thats a bit harder.
(cool song by the way)
They want everything, especially the drums so they don't have to hire a drummer.

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

wagtunes,
I have hardly tried it, though Melodyne (there are different versions with different capabilities) has something that converts an audio signal into MIDI. Though you'd probably need Melodyne Studio (I am going by memory here; you'd have to research it) to do polyphonic stuff. I have the cheaper Assistant. I have tried Studio (trial version) for polyphonic pitch tweaks, and it seemed to struggle with distorted sounds like distorted guitar (I wasn't converting audio to MIDI then).
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:25 am wagtunes,
I have hardly tried it, though Melodyne (there are different versions with different capabilities) has something that converts an audio signal into MIDI. Though you'd probably need Melodyne Studio (I am going by memory here; you'd have to research it) to do polyphonic stuff. I have the cheaper Assistant. I have tried Studio (trial version) for polyphonic pitch tweaks, and it seemed to struggle with distorted sounds like distorted guitar (I wasn't converting audio to MIDI then).
Thanks but I'm hesitant to buy something in the hopes that it might work. Besides, they have more than enough of my songs to do already.

I understand; though there is a trial version you could try free for 30 days:

https://www.celemony.com/en/trial

I admit there is a significant learning curve for Melodyne stuff.

The least expensive Melodyne that does polyphonic stuff is Editor:

https://pluginfox.co/pages/compare-melodyne-versions
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

9th track from my upcoming CD "Short Takes"

This one takes a left turn after the first chorus.

The Last Twenty

I'd walk for you ten miles
And I'd walk for you ten more
I'd walk for you as long as I can
And I'd walk right through your door

And when I'm almost there
I'm gonna walk I swear

I'm gonna walk walk walk the last twenty
Gonna walk walk walk for you
I'm gonna walk walk walk the last twenty
Because you know my love is true

My whole damn life revolves
Around the wonderful girl you are
And because of that I walk
I'd rather walk than drive my car

Repeat Pre chorus

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Won't you walk with me
We can both be free
And then you will see
How happy we can be

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/the-last-twenty

You always have cool hooks - I've listened to a few and my fave was the Last Twenty. I have to admit, and this happens a lot when I visit this thread (don't take offense) - the first 30 seconds to a minute usually have me smiling at how corny it all sounds, but somehow by the middle of the track i'm reeled in and i have to go back for another listen :D Good stuff.

You can check out my latest track if you like - it's a little on the other end of the accessibility spectrum :/ I also have a more straight forward sounding Motorhead cover if you fancy having someone shout at you for a few minutes.

Return to “Music Cafe”