Sonic Academy ANA 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA 2

Got the Slate skins and presets working with the Sonic Academy version of the vst. Not sure if Slate would be cool with us doing this...but yeah, just used the installer from the Slate website. There was some slight jerry-rigging required, but it all seems to be working! The Eurorack skin is amazing! The other skins are meh.

i just gave this a spin since it's on sale.
It feels uninspiring, the sound just feels a bit dull.
Being a more technical side this sounds vague as f**k but i'm not sure why. So many flavours of filters but nothing sounds... real?

at 60€ tho it's a nobrainer, it's a very powerful synth. (but i'll likely sleep on it)

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 am at 60€ tho it's a nobrainer, it's a very powerful synth.
Yeah, for 60 squid it's a good deal!

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 am i just gave this a spin since it's on sale.
Being a more technical side this sounds vague as f**k but i'm not sure why. So many flavours of filters but nothing sounds... real?

at 60€ tho it's a nobrainer, it's a very powerful synth. (but i'll likely sleep on it)
That's exactly how I felt first time around, but once you get into it, its actually a lot better than first impressions give.

And as you said, 59 bucks in a no brainer.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Ploki wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 am i just gave this a spin since it's on sale.
The knobs and sliders are there so that you can move them :wink:

The factory programs aren't the most inspiring,but the're a good starting point to unlock ANA 2's real potential...

I like the sound of the filters in this synth and there are many different ways to modulate them...

But some people prefer X instead of Y and that's OK :tu:
No auto tune...

i started with the init preset and twisted some knobs :)
I'm not a fan of too many tabs, but have to say it's pretty intuitive to start working in it from the get go.
i always test by a simple saw feeding a filter to see how envelopes and filters respond.

Imo the biggest strength is additional Sample OSC section, and 3 MSEGs.
The sound simply doesn't convince me.

I remember I wasn't very impressed by the factory presets either, but some third party banks made it for me (I don't use presets much, but when the big name producers of the genre I'm learning release preset packs which sound exactly like their actual tracks this says something)

Some things I noticed:
- Ana2 tends to sit really well in a mix and doesn't need much extra processing.
- There's some kind of digital lo-fi-ness in the sound which gives it some nice character in a way similar to Virus TI. It sounds less clean than Serum, Spire and similar but this is often a good thing.
- it's a "sweet spot" synth, I mean it can pretty much sound thin or harsh in a bad digital way, but when you hit a sweet spot it sounds wonderful, and there are many such spots and they are very diverse.

I see that it probably won't appeal to analog lovers, sonically it's somewhere in between Virus, Sylenth and the old Massive
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:01 pm Ana 2 tends to sit really well in a mix and doesn't need much extra processing.
:tu:
No auto tune...

recursive one wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:01 pm I see that it probably won't appeal to analog lovers, sonically it's somewhere in between Virus, Sylenth and the old Massive
That is a fair evaluation recursive one.
I almost purchased ANA2 but opted for Spire, I think Spire has much better Fx and slightly more definition for the sounds my ears like and want to hear.
Sonic Academy rarely update, they create and move on which is perfectly fine but I like incremental updates which add new features rather than the fire and forget philosophy which SA and so many other developers adopt.

I agree re; spire, i also like its filters better.

On their forum they mentioned there was an update in beta. Not sure what's new but apparently some bugs were being addressed at least.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm On their forum they mentioned there was an update in beta. Not sure what's new but apparently some bugs were being addressed at least.
Which should always come before additional features.
Highest priority for any Synth really.

Norqa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:23 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm On their forum they mentioned there was an update in beta. Not sure what's new but apparently some bugs were being addressed at least.
Which should always come before additional features.
Highest priority for any Synth really.
Yeah there's one bug in particular that is really annoying in Ana, which is the presets get totally messed up when browsing them (at least on Windows VST3), some you can barely heard anything, some are just different than they should be. Waiting patiently for that.

Norqa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:19 pm
recursive one wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:01 pm I see that it probably won't appeal to analog lovers, sonically it's somewhere in between Virus, Sylenth and the old Massive
That is a fair evaluation recursive one.
I almost purchased ANA2 but opted for Spire, I think Spire has much better Fx and slightly more definition for the sounds my ears like and want to hear.
Sonic Academy rarely update, they create and move on which is perfectly fine but I like incremental updates which add new features rather than the fire and forget philosophy which SA and so many other developers adopt.
I have Spire as well, actually I bought it when it was an early beta, like 0.9 or something, it was my to-go synth for years. I think if I had to choose between the two it would be Spire, as you say it has more definition in the sound, kind of more hifi and "classy"... sort of. But there are some areas where Spire tends to fail and Ana tends to deliver, like the acid leads ubiquitous in psytrance and some other things.

All in all, both are fine synths, you can't go wrong with either of them.

I really dig that Burn In Noise Ana2 preset pack, actually I bought Ana in order to get my hands on these sounds and reverse-engineer them. They are so good that I could just drop them into a track and call it a day if I was that lazy.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:17 pm

I really dig that Burn In Noise Ana2 preset pack, actually I bought Ana in order to get my hands on these sounds and reverse-engineer them. They are so good that I could just drop them into a track and call it a day if I was that lazy.
Thanks for the tip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on02r9m16o0

Return to “Instruments”