VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3590 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 am

SLiC wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:23 am
LeVzi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:45 am
I was just surprised to learn about the subscription that they claim is better than rent to own. It clearly isn't.
No, it isnt...but if you do subscription and not rent to won then you have to say that really don't you ;-)
lol yeah you do.
"If you are depressed you are living in the past, if you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present"

KVRAF
32942 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 am

gondii wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 am
If you do the subscription for 12 months you get a 100€ voucher at the end. If you do another 12 months, it turns into a 200€ voucher. It's basically rent to own. But vouchers don't stack and they don't work during sales. So going this route, you will definitely pay significantly more than just buying it during a sale. Sales are around 40% off. Picking up freebies (for example through Computer Music Magazine) will decrease the bundle or upgrade price, so doing that is a good idea.
Can you not use the voucher in a sale to get more bang for your bucks?

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 am
gondii wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 am
If you do the subscription for 12 months you get a 100€ voucher at the end. If you do another 12 months, it turns into a 200€ voucher. It's basically rent to own. But vouchers don't stack and they don't work during sales. So going this route, you will definitely pay significantly more than just buying it during a sale. Sales are around 40% off. Picking up freebies (for example through Computer Music Magazine) will decrease the bundle or upgrade price, so doing that is a good idea.
Can you not use the voucher in a sale to get more bang for your bucks?
No, quoted from their site
Subscriber Rewards coupons cannot be combined with any other coupons or discount promotions.
EDIT

And i'll add this, quoted from their site
Coupons will be fully consumed at purchase. No remaining amount will be available for another purchase.
So basically after 2 years, you get 200 euros in rewards, buy the synth for 169euros ,and lose the 31 euros change. Cannot put it towards the effects etc.
"If you are depressed you are living in the past, if you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present"

fmr
KVRAF
10536 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:49 am

LeVzi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am
Coupons will be fully consumed at purchase. No remaining amount will be available for another purchase.
So basically after 2 years, you get 200 euros in rewards, buy the synth for 169euros ,and lose the 31 euros change. Cannot put it towards the effects etc.
Or you can add effects to the purchase until it sums 200 euros or more :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
173 posts since 3 Aug, 2015

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:59 am

Interesting conversation! Always good to hear new opinions on what we're doing.

There are some misunderstandings above that I'll see if I can address in a bit. First though, my deepest thoughts...

The great thing, in my opinion, with the Kilohearts range is that everyone has options. Many people subscribe and use the vouchers to scoop up a few plugins every year, which will contribute to bigger reductions on the Toolbox bundles when they go on sale. Meanwhile, they have access to every single plugin and Content Bank we have whilst subscribed.

Others are happy to pick up individual plugins in the sales and work with them until eventually getting that sweet upgrade offer.

Quite a significant number of people simply buy ULTIMATE at full price and pay the tiny upgrade price to add new plugins when they come along. I guess they're not so patient, and maybe anti-subscription.

Options to suit almost everyone!

We came up with Subscriber Rewards so that this wasn't just a straight-up subscription (see Adobe, etc) and our customers could work towards just buying what they wanted and leaving the sub if they preferred. It's not rent-to-own as you're not tied into a contract, there's no "final total price" as we keep adding stuff, and you can pause the subscription any time without losing the months you've collected towards your rewards. It's also not exactly the amount you pay in. $100 seemed like a nice round number at the time and our subscribers seem to appreciate the thought.

For regular buyers, we also have a couple of coupon systems to help you get things a little cheaper. "Thank You" coupons go out monthly to anyone who made a purchase in the previous month, and the "Phase Plant Buyer" coupons are sent out immediately after you purchase a license for Phase Plant. (Meaning if you do that math with the subscription you pay $240 over two years, get $200 in Sub Rewards, buy Phase Plant and a $30 plugin/bank with those and then get another TWO $30 coupons... well you're technically $20 up!).

Most feedback on our Subscription is overwhelmingly positive but we certainly listen and take note when anyone has something less positive to say about it. Of course, it will never be for everyone but we try to make it as valuable as possible for those who do subscribe. The Content Banks we began releasing last year being one example of added value.

Hope that little essay helps to understand why things are the way they are for now. I'll post a couple of replies to specific comments in a mo.

❤️

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:05 am

tactile_coast wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm
You get additional money off the bundle for any 'Snap ins' you already own including the free ones already posted above.
This is correct but just to clarify, owning our "always free" plugins won't reduce your upgrade price.

Any other plugins picked up as a freebie, such as the Computer Music run on our EQs and the 'free with any purchase' offers at Plugin Boutique and ADSR, will reduce your upgrade price. You just need the licenses registered to the account you log in with for them to apply.

So that also includes licenses bought second hand and transferred or bought in sales, etc...

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:10 am

LeVzi wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 pm
I've been using the demo all morning so far, and its definitely a good synth, but tbh, the modulation just doesn't go far enough for me.
You're probably gonna dig the stuff the guys are currently working on... the whole Kilohearts Ecosystem will be regularly updated for free, which is worth bearing in mind.

The next big update is on the horizon and is pretty special. 😃

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:18 am

SLiC wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:01 am
...you need to be adding paid high value new stuff (not packs of 50 pre-sets) frequently for subscription to have value.
In recent months our focus has definitely been on new Content Banks, and the v2 update behind the scenes. We now have a nice selection of incredible banks lined up for the coming months and v2 is on the horizon, so you can expect to see some new effects plugins popping up too. ❤️

fmr
KVRAF
10536 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:18 am

StuSmith wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:10 am
LeVzi wrote:
I've been using the demo all morning so far, and its definitely a good synth, but tbh, the modulation just doesn't go far enough for me.
You're probably gonna dig the stuff the guys are currently working on... the whole Kilohearts Ecosystem will be regularly updated for free, which is worth bearing in mind.

What do you mean? What exactly will be updated for free?
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:25 am

LeVzi wrote:
That's not quite right. You can use the Subscriber Rewards to buy whatever you like. But if the total is less than $200 (in this example) you don't get a $31 coupon back, or any credit. No change given.

So it's better to spend the whole $200.

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:29 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:18 am
StuSmith wrote:
LeVzi wrote:

What do you mean? What exactly will be updated for free?
For example. Sometime in the not-too-distant future, there will be an update across all our software to Version 2. You will be able to update all your Kilohearts plugins to version 2 at no extra cost.

So it's not like we'll bring out Phase Plant 2 and charge an upgrade price to get it if you already own Phase Plant.

Hope that makes sense. 😊

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:22 am

fmr wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:49 am
LeVzi wrote:
Or you can add effects to the purchase until it sums 200 euros or more :wink:
Yeah, tbh that was the obvious solution which I completely missed ! :lol:

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:25 am

StuSmith wrote:
Essay ;)
I cut down the quote so not to jam up the screen, i'm not taking the mickey lol

I understand why you offer the subscription route. It still doesnt really help someone wanting to buy the synth on rent to own, and then add the extras as and when. Which is what I wanted to do. But it doesn't really matter now, I can wait for a sale on the actual plugin, and then I will get the add ons , as and when. Doesn't put me on a subscription I don't want and I don't have to break the bank to eventually own PP.

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:34 am

LeVzi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:25 am
StuSmith wrote:
Essay ;)
I cut down the quote so not to jam up the screen, i'm not taking the mickey lol
Smart move. 😁

KVRer
17 posts since 22 Apr, 2021

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:40 pm

hello Kilo :D
I have little req.
There is a "offset" parameter in the sampler module. But in fact, this parameter should be called "start position", as in all other samplers. And I would like to ask you to implement a real "offset" parameter, which delays the final sample in time in the range, perhaps 1 second in increments of 0.1 milliseconds(examples: Apisonic Speedrum,Xfer Nerve). This is a very convenient parameter when leering samples.
And also please make the minimum delay from 0 ms instead of 10 ms in the "delay" module.

Return to “Instruments”