Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I did compared 4 synths now. I won't say which one, but all are playing one preset from the original DX7 banks called "Strings1". Of course OPS7 is among them:
https://app.box.com/s/d7066yts9gws76s9xfvm8nzzua9i39mq

Just for few minutes maybe, then of course I will reveal which is which then give my overall opinion based only on the 32 presets of the original DX7 bank.

EnGee wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:40 am I did compared 4 synths now. I won't say which one, but all are playing one preset from the original DX7 banks called "Strings1". Of course OPS7 is among them:

Just for few minutes maybe, then of course I will reveal which is which then give my overall opinion based only on the 32 presets of the original DX7 bank.
All sound cheesy and horrible. I'm sold - I will buy... NONE :hihi:

Really, I don't get it. Can it at least emulate the DX7 II in that it can layer two sounds?

I can't understand what's the point of emulating a synth that even back tehn didn't sound that special, and was heralded mainly for a couple of sounds (namely the bass and the EP) and the fact that it had 16 voices of polyphony.

Anyone that could would purchase the TX816 instead, which was the real deal if one wanted a really powerful FM synth. Or the DX1...
Last edited by fmr on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Wow - very excited to try it. I won't buy just yet as I'm going on a trip and need the funds. Will do as soon as I can though as PortaFM is one of my favourite instruments and Plogue just continuously do the right thing to my ears. This looks amazing.

fmr wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:51 am
Really, I don't get it. Can it at least emulate the DX7 II in that it can layer two sounds?

Anyone that could would purchase the TX816 instead, which was the real deal if one wanted a really powerful FM synth. Or the DX1...
It can layer two sounds!
From the website:
You will unleash vast FM landscapes in mere seconds, thanks to the dual-layer system seen only in the most expensive FM keyboards - the Yamaha DX1 and DX5 - giving your music a big, full, lush studio sound!
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

olepro wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:03 am

It can layer two sounds!
From the website:
You will unleash vast FM landscapes in mere seconds, thanks to the dual-layer system seen only in the most expensive FM keyboards - the Yamaha DX1 and DX5 - giving your music a big, full, lush studio sound!
OK, bought it. For that price, what the hell - at least I can compare the Sys-Ex files with other synths I already have. :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

EnGee wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:40 am I did compared 4 synths now. I won't say which one, but all are playing one preset from the original DX7 banks called "Strings1". Of course OPS7 is among them:

I can't understand what's the point of emulating a synth that even back tehn didn't sound that special, and was heralded mainly for a couple of sounds (namely the bass and the EP) and the fact that it had 16 voices of polyphony.

I didn't bring it from my pocket! Also, my intention is not to impress you! It is a preset from the original bank played on 4 FM synths. It is not intended to be nice. Just to show some differences.

I see it a bit similar. that said one needs to admit that when you do no use any presets from back then you can get great sounds out of the concept. but still not sure if I'm fond of having all the DAC and stuff emulated. Hoped that F'em would be the next enjoyable FM synth but it wasn't (too buggy when I tested it back then and some UI flaws). This could be something for the price.
rabbit in a hole

fmr wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:51 am I can't understand what's the point of emulating a synth that even back tehn didn't sound that special, and was heralded mainly for a couple of sounds (namely the bass and the EP) and the fact that it had 16 voices of polyphony.

That's not my recollection of the time. Everyone went ga ga over the DX7 when it came out. Here is Julian Colbeck on it a full 3 years after the launch of the DX7

"Never has such an instrument generated such fuss and bother. Not the Prophet 5. Not even the Minimoog"

and

"It all comes down to sound. And in this respect the DX7 simply sounds more alive, more natural and more expressive than any other instrument in the price bracket".

He also talks about the cut down DX9 "blowing away analogues at three times it's price".

At the same time the DX1 was £10,000 in 1984 and the TX816 was over £4,000. So except for a very few people it simply wasn't an option.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

delete post
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

double post
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

You don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about :lol:
Eyeball exchanging

Captain wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:18 am But what I'm really waiting for is the C64 synth, that will be a no brainer! :D
I like InSIDious, but it would be cool to see a Plogue version of that one.

I like that the soundcloud demo includes a DnB track. I like that you can achieve some more aggressive bass sound design with this synth

Autobot wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am but still not sure if I'm fond of having all the DAC and stuff emulated.
I am. That's the sort of attention to detail that is usually missing, or which people assume you want to "improve."

To me that sort of thing is where the magic is. I would be disappointed if yet another DX7 emulation was released that didn't sound any more accurate than Dexed or FM8. What would be the point of that?

Plogue has become known for obsessively detailed analysis and recreation of retro hardware and it's good to see them continuing that instead of taking the easy way out. And the option is right there to switch to cleaner DAC types.

Return to “Instruments”