Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:25 pm Yes the LFO is stairstepped in the OG at faster speeds. Dexed is trying to be as close to the OG as possible.
One could implement an option or mode to make it smooth. The original developers would have made it like that if they could back then… The “original developers dream” mode… But we have Arturias version for this kind of stuff…

I wish something like this existed for free for the yamaha tx 81z

surreal wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:47 pm I wish something like this existed for free for the yamaha tx 81z
You might like this one:

https://www.sonicbits.com/exakt-lite.html

Many thanks EvilDragon but I'm looking for exact figures, as opposed to "merely" accurate and descriptive summary. Is the dexed code exact? If so that answers my question, otherwise, what exactly are the values, is my question. Durations to the sample wouldn't be overkill. I've got a DX7IIFD and will start metric'ing it.

Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:47 pm
You might like this one:

We want DX7/TX816 with similar superb GUI then :borg: :hyper:

Example: Coarse clearly displays 1, 10, 100, 1000Hz.

Fine: the formula 1.023293^Fine, with normal rounding, matches displayed values to all 4 displayed digits, except:

Fine 44 displays as 2.716, not 2.754? All the others are within 1 part in 1000; this is off by 38 parts in 1000! 2.716 would be the expected value (if Fine was floating point) of about 43.39, not 44. So, it's more than half-way to 43.

Fine 94 displays as 8.718 not 8.710? Off by 8 parts in 1000. 8.718 would be the expected value of Fine 94.04 or so.

Except for these two values, the formula matches the display. (I have NOT tested the sound output, which I think is more important, actually!)

Detune: detuning minus doesn't seem to beat as expected, only plus???

The final jump from the highest 9.772 to the next level 10 is 40 cents. solve for x: 2^(x/1200)=ln(10/9.772)/ln(2); x=39.929. I would have thought that 977.2 detuned up to +8 (were that possible) would be 1000 detuned -7, but its not. In just one stopwatch test of beats, 977.2 detuned +7 gets me about 3.0Hz beats, which is just 5.35 cents? Not much.

I'm pretty sure I heard two different beat speeds, with the lower 2 octaves beating substantially faster, in an init'd voice with two carriers, no modulators, and both carriers at 977.2Hz but one detuned +1. It's not doing it now, but I will watch further.f

I was surprised that even fixed frequencies pitch-bend. Weird!

OK, so at a minimum I have enough info for a first draft, that would at least match (98 out of 100) displayed frequencies, and have one data point for detune.

Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:47 pm
surreal wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:47 pm I wish something like this existed for free for the yamaha tx 81z
You might like this one:

Thank you Rob!

Can we get a MIDI toggle switch on Dexed to mute the internal synth engine?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Are the portamento and the last note priority mono mode coming any time soon? These two things alone would kind of make Dexed finished and complete, no need to add anything else IMHO.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 am There were no concrete plans. Just adding 2x assets so that things look sharper when scaling up.
Is there any ETA? I just got a new screen and Dexed is almost gone :hihi:
rabbit in a hole

I don't know, ask asb2m10...

::::
Last edited by Autobot on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

Hello,
I am new to DEXED, and tried to load previously saved banks from my good old DX7 2FD into this promising plug-in.
When I click the load button, browse to the desired file and validate, I get the following error message
"Unable to find DX7 sysex cartridge in file ...
I tried this with single sounds or banks previously saved from the original device via midi bulk. I still have the DX7 2FD, but but have not found a way to transmit data from a physical cartridge via MIDI.
The only thing I can do is load the cartridge contents to my internal sounds and then bulk them.
Is there a way?
Thanks,
Jean-Philippe Rykiel, the Blind one
My Soundcloud
My Facebook page

DEXED is an emulation of the Mk.I DX7 and is not compatible with DX7 Mk.II patches.

Also, you are not able to transmit cart data direct from the cart. You have to load them into the synth and then transmit from there.
jprykiel wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:35 pm Hello,
I am new to DEXED, and tried to load previously saved banks from my good old DX7 2FD into this promising plug-in.
When I click the load button, browse to the desired file and validate, I get the following error message
"Unable to find DX7 sysex cartridge in file ...
I tried this with single sounds or banks previously saved from the original device via midi bulk. I still have the DX7 2FD, but but have not found a way to transmit data from a physical cartridge via MIDI.
The only thing I can do is load the cartridge contents to my internal sounds and then bulk them.
Is there a way?
Thanks,

Oh? Is that so? I was mistaken by that FAQ found on the wiki :
"Does Dexed uses the same midi velocity range (0-100) as the original DX7 ?

No, the envelopes are based on the DX7II that are using the standard midi velocity range (0-127)."

Thanks for pointing out.
Cheers,
Jean-Philippe Rykiel, the Blind one
My Soundcloud
My Facebook page

Return to “Instruments”