Is Serum worth cashing out for, when you get Vital for free?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRian
1258 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:11 am

flori89 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:54 am
electro4sale wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:15 am
Serum was the first vst I bought after taking a 15 year break from music. Great purchase. I just found out about Vital a few months ago but hardly used it yet.
I'm eyeing Serum, but so far I fail to see what it does better then Vital. Aren't they pretty much the same? There are much more presets for Serum available floating around, but apart from that, what's the difference?
A few differences I can think of are modulatable LFO shapes and the ability to convert wavetables into LFO shapes, with those shapes available as remap source for osc warping and as a waveshaper in the distortion.
Always Read the Manual!

KVRist
47 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:15 am

PieBerger wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:11 am
flori89 wrote:
electro4sale wrote:
Serum was the first vst I bought after taking a 15 year break from music. Great purchase. I just found out about Vital a few months ago but hardly used it yet.
I'm eyeing Serum, but so far I fail to see what it does better then Vital. Aren't they pretty much the same? There are much more presets for Serum available floating around, but apart from that, what's the difference?
A few differences I can think of are modulatable LFO shapes and the ability to convert wavetables into LFO shapes, with those shapes available as remap source for osc warping and as a waveshaper in the distortion.
O.K that sounds usefull for sound design, you are right about that. Damn, will have to try Serum after all :D

KVRian
927 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 am

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
29526 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:22 pm

flori89 wrote:
electro4sale wrote:
Whenever I read stuff like that, I realize how tired I have become of this forum. It's like browsing a car forum, and the thousandth guy asks whether he should buy a VW for a Ford. They both have 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and a combustion engine. What's the difference?

Seriously. I'm aware that this is offensive towards you, but, if you have to ask such a question, better ask yourself if this is the right hobby or even profession for you. Of course there's a difference. They sound differently. They have different features, and potentially different implementations of these features. They have a different user interface, which could be very important for your (joy of) working with the plugin.

The bottom line is: Better do your homework, then you don't have to ask strange questions which noone is able to answer for you. Because you, and only you matter, because you have to work with your 190 € worth software.

Trust me, I've based a few buying decisions based on other's stupid opinions. It never works. It's like calling for an influencer to make a decision for you, because you have no idea what you want or need. I know that's very fancy these days, but, ultimately, it won' make you happy, or give you a feeling of self-determination. Because you just want to be like all the other sheeps.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

YnJ
KVRist

Topic Starter

57 posts since 18 Apr, 2021

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:13 pm

So, why are you here? This is the Getting Started forum, some people would assume that unless you're around to actually help people getting started, you would after 11 years and 29K posts have other things to do than nagging people who are, you know, getting started? Hehe, 29K posts complaining would make anyone tired, take a long holiday. Please?

KVRist
47 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:18 pm

chk071 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:22 pm
flori89 wrote:
electro4sale wrote:
Whenever I read stuff like that, I realize how tired I have become of this forum. It's like browsing a car forum, and the thousandth guy asks whether he should buy a VW for a Ford. They both have 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and a combustion engine. What's the difference?

Seriously. I'm aware that this is offensive towards you, but, if you have to ask such a question, better ask yourself if this is the right hobby or even profession for you. Of course there's a difference. They sound differently. They have different features, and potentially different implementations of these features. They have a different user interface, which could be very important for your (joy of) working with the plugin.

The bottom line is: Better do your homework, then you don't have to ask strange questions which noone is able to answer for you. Because you, and only you matter, because you have to work with your 190 € worth software.

Trust me, I've based a few buying decisions based on other's stupid opinions. It never works. It's like calling for an influencer to make a decision for you, because you have no idea what you want or need. I know that's very fancy these days, but, ultimately, it won' make you happy, or give you a feeling of self-determination. Because you just want to be like all the other sheeps.
Bro, this is literally the „getting started“ forum. Like the one place in this forum to ask those questions. And I have seen countless people claiming that vital and serum are basically the same, so asking someone who actually owns both is kind of a good idea, no?

Maybe come down of your high horse from time to time, or don’t read the „getting started“ forum.

KVRist
485 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:11 am

KVRian
504 posts since 10 Mar, 2020

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:39 am

my 2 cents about that topic: I tried vital and it didnt click with me. serum on the otherhand is my favourite synth and what it does better in my opinion is that its much more approachable. it has a better gui and its easy to use. very visual without beeing cluttered. the workflow is better but to be fair I didnt spend much time on vital so maybe it has a netter workflow than I felt it had but when I opened it I was turned off immediately. one more important thing is the buttload of presets available for serum. its so easy to change them up and get your own sounds, just use them or learn from the bc its easy to see how they were made. serum is very beginner friendly bc of its visual aspect but can go very in depth down the road. that said - I do techno music where serum is not that popular bc its not analog enough. thats bullshit bc you can make it sound more analog however I mention this bc I own also analog emulations like diva which would be more suited for my genre and I still grab serum most of the time bc I like using it that much. and to be honest. in the end no listener will hear or judge if you used serum or vital or whatever else you enjoy using

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”