Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

abernathy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:07 pm Bought and love the sound of this! Identical patches sound very different than Dexed... I don't have a DX7 to compare it to, but I like the sound of OPS7 much more. Haven't compared to Arturia yet.

I want to get off on the right foot understanding Patch/Preset saving. If I load a .syx bank in the SYX screen and copy them all into the A column I can play them all but it seems like more of a "preview" mode...? To properly save a sound would I need to save it as a "fermata" preset? If I wanted the whole DX7 factory ROM1A bank in OPS7 would I need to save each patch as a preset, one at a time? If I go to this trouble I'll certainly share the fruits of my labor...

Thanks!
This is one aspect of OPS7 that needs to be radically simplified and semiautomated or 'macrofied' ASAP, IMHO.

For the Mac, perhaps somebody versed in Keyboard Maestro could write a macro?
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Very nice DX-7. I have Dexed and never use it but I much prefer this layout. Speaking of which, the UI seems very nice to me. Don't get the complaints. My only feedback regarding the GUI is that I might want slightly finer increments of sizes (10% increments versus 25% so I could get a 10% or 120% zoom) and slightly thicker parameter indicators (on the knobs themselves but also the ring around them).

Question: can FX be re-ordered? I think I'd prefer the more traditional Delay into Reverb versus the opposite.

Also, a global FX bypass in the top menu bar would be nice too!

And maybe it's already there and I just haven't found a good way yet, but can we copy A to B or vice versa? Copy/paste would be nice for creating big layers then detuning between them.

How do I save the zoom level and turn off keyboard as default?

And where are user presets supposed to go? I tried saving a patch and it actually took me initially to my Omnisphere preset folder (because that had been the last plugin I'd saved a preset in).

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:20 pm How do I save the zoom level and turn off keyboard as default?

And where are user presets supposed to go? I tried saving a patch and it actually took me initially to my Omnisphere preset folder (because that had been the last plugin I'd saved a preset in).
Please try "save as default" when clicking in the top preset menu after your custom setup is done. The only thing it fails to save is the MTS-ESP flag that we know. Next instance/session should start with those defaults (unless you recall an old session that has other settings)

As far as user presets it should popup at the right place. That on Mac?
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

davidv@plogue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:20 pm How do I save the zoom level and turn off keyboard as default?

Please try "save as default" when clicking in the top preset menu after your custom setup is done. The only thing it fails to save is the MTS-ESP flag that we know. Next instance/session should start with those defaults (unless you recall an old session that has other settings)

As far as user presets it should popup at the right place. That on Mac?
Thanks - yes on Mac - so where should I be saving user presets?

I assumed the 'save as default' related to presets not GUI state given that it's in the preset menu.

Really don't understand all the bickering about the gui .
It's fine as it is , sure a graphical representation of all the algo's would be welcome.
Good job Plogue !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Is there a way to easily copy envelopes from one to another?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

No, or not yet, time will tell.

Or linking the envelopes would also be nice (this is one really nice feature that FM8 has, you can link any number of envelopes and edit them together in one go, without needing to manually copy/paste envelopes).

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:46 pm No, or not yet, time will tell.

Or linking the envelopes would also be nice (this is one really nice feature that FM8 has, you can link any number of envelopes and edit them together in one go, without needing to manually copy/paste envelopes).
Yeah this is a nice feature in fm8 but it's really clunky and there's no undo in Fm8 so if you mess up its really a nightmare :lol:

Something I like is the macro (Easy/Morph) section where you can tweak the overall patch as a whole, Ableton operator has this feature also as (Time/Tone)

Can anyone recommend a decent -- but small! -- collection of SYX files? It seems like wherever I look there are collections with 5700 presets of which 4100 are duplicates and most of the unique ones are just variations of electric pianos. :D

(And yeah, I'm not normally into presets, but I also don't normally have a DX7, so... heh)

Did you listen to all these thousands?
When I had the real machine, I learned the lesson that creating the sounds myself is faster than wading through hundreds of presets...; - )

I’ll wait for the demo to make my mind. Regarding the UI : is the only way to display the « detailled » view is to click on the « macro » view ? If so you spend a lot of time going back and forth switching operators detailled views ?

foosnark wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:01 am Can anyone recommend a decent -- but small! -- collection of SYX files? It seems like wherever I look there are collections with 5700 presets of which 4100 are duplicates and most of the unique ones are just variations of electric pianos. :D

(And yeah, I'm not normally into presets, but I also don't normally have a DX7, so... heh)
Actually Dexed comes with just such a curated collection - I just copied those across to a shared folder

foosnark wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:01 am Can anyone recommend a decent -- but small! -- collection of SYX files? It seems like wherever I look there are collections with 5700 presets of which 4100 are duplicates and most of the unique ones are just variations of electric pianos. :D

The collection curated by BlackWinny for DeXed is the best you can find, IMO. You will find it here: http://hsjp.eu/downloads/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip

It isn't small, but it is supposed to get rid of all duplicates.

And aMUSEd beat me to it :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

I have a problem loading my own patches in each layer
For sysex stuff it's just simply a matter of drag dropping into column layer A, B
But how to achieve this for your own custom patches ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”