One Synth Challenge #151: GR-8 by Phuturetone (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nobody beats Sebulba...eh... Jasinski! :hihi: What a freaking fabulous track he's got again. :hail:
Thanks, Z! :hug: Maybe I'll see, if I can figure out Ableton enough to do something. Does anyone know, if there's something to set up drums, kind of like with MUX, where you can hook notes to individual vst instances? You know, to have drums in one track rather than a track for each instance.

Taron wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:52 am... Ableton ... to have drums in one track...
There's the Drum Rack? (Ctrl-F type drum rack)

AHHH, SWEET! YES, and it works beautifully! Took a second to find all controls, but I got it. (CHAIN... Receive Play for notes and so on). COOL! Thanks, Z! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Anyone noticed with the latest version a Velocity on Amp causing a rather strong volume drop? OOohhhh, that's weird. In the FX section the POST GAIN goes down to bounce around between -17.1 and 17.4 at seemingly random?!? Very strange... I suppose, it's velocity related? :shrug:

I wonder, if that's an Ableton issue with it? I don't know... can't try it with MuLab directly.
Anyway, even if I crank it (POST Gain) back up to 0.0, after some random amount of time, all instances flip back to -17.1 or -17.4...eh... weird. :ud:

Taron wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:58 am Anyone noticed with the latest version a Velocity on Amp causing a rather strong volume drop? OOohhhh, that's weird. In the FX section the POST GAIN goes down to bounce around between -17.1 and 17.4 at seemingly random?!? Very strange... I suppose, it's velocity related? :shrug:
Hi Teron,

Almost all the controls have assigned MIDI CC. If you see a control bouncing it is because it receives MIDI messages from your MIDI controller, usually because of a dusty knob. A solution is to set the knob on your MIDI controller to the min or max value. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

AAAHHHHHHHH, you are absolutely right and very bold to assign CC like CC 09 by default, hahaha! But that's great! Thank you! :hyper: :hug:
Very cool. And, yes, my knob for CC09 is messy. Great way to find faulty equipment, haha! :hihi:

You rock! 8)

Hi All,

A mini-update, added the global Octave control:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Cheers!

Very cool, thanks! :tu:

No time in the week to do these in all honestly, but pulled a 5am on this last night to get something moving along and should get a few hours in week to augment it out some more and work on the bus a bit more.

Really enjoyed the synth, especially with the recent update. Can get some lovely close sounds with this synth I found, so looking forward to where a few more hours takes me with it.

https://soundcloud.com/hockinsk/first-flame-1

DAW:
Bitwig 3.2

GR-8 Instances:
x20

Tracks Inserts:
Airwindows Channel9 (Nieve)
Airwindows Console7 (Channel)
Airwindows Autopan
Airwindows Basskit
Airwindows Highpass

Bus Inserts:
Airwindows Channel7 (Bus)
Airwindows ButterComp 2

Reverb Sends:
Airwindows Galactic
Airwindows Verbity

Master:
Airwindows ToneSlant
Airwindows Tube
Airwindows ADClip7

Monitoring:
Airwindows Monitoring

I agree with Taron. I'm very inspired by the community here.

https://soundcloud.com/liqih/bootsy-tribute-sketch

I say this is a sketch because I don't feel this track is finished, I think I will need to add some samples that are not permitted by the OSC rules.

### Made for OSC 151 using 12 x Phuturetone GR-8 synth
### DAW : Cubase LE AI Elements 9
### stock FXs : Delays, Room Reverb, EQ, Compressor, Boost, Limiter
### 3rd Party Free FXs : EasyQ RS-Met, AudioThing Blindfold EQ, LoudMax

No layered sounds : 1 synth instance = 1 instrument
Last edited by liqih on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some good sections in that sketch. Not my style of music at all to comment as I don't know what you're after, but my immediate impression was the kick is too stereo & woolly if that's what you're mean by 'need samples'. As the GR-8 is a pretty standard subtractive synth, you could get pretty good defined kicks following a basic subtractive synth drum synthesis guide such as:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016 ... tutorials/

Hehe, man, this synth is pretty perfect for kicks and actually all drums. I kinda wished one could have an env on the "mix" for the osc, but other than that... pretty brilliant!
Liqih's style is utterly unique and always somewhat otherworldly. Once you allow yourself to scoot over into his realm, it's full of curious little wonders! :) ;)

Yep, it's pretty good for kicks, toms, hats and light snares, I always struggle to get convincing claps and full-energy snares on these sorts of synths, just missing a couple of shaping tools as you say.

OH, snap, I accidentally made some great claps, when I was trying to do an open hihat, hahahaha. And don't forget the EQ in the FX for proper body of a snare along with the distortion, which can help to get extra high frequencies.

Return to “Instruments”