Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:41 am Also, unison in Odin duplicates the WHOLE voice, not just the oscillators. This is much more CPU expensive.
Wouldn‘t it be the easiest optimization to change unison to only duplicate the oscillators? Duplicating the filters doesn‘t make sense, as running it through multiple filters and then summing would not change the sound at all - assuming the filters are linear - but if they are not and have nonlinear parts I would rather expect an even thicker sound as you get difference and sum frequencies on top of it…

There is already the MultiOsc oscillator mode that's dedicated to that.

Honestly, while Odin 2 might not be best suited for big unison patches, it's fantastic at handling audio-rate modulations, more so than most synths out there, which usually tax your CPU like crazy. This is what makes it so special and unique within the field.

Instead of complaining about what it can't do as well as other dedicated plugins and forcing it to do things which its architecture isn't necessarily suitable for, can we finally recognize how awesome it is at handling audio rate modulations?

The fact that the synth structure lends itself to some pretty serious audio-mod craziness at a negligible CPU hit is a blessing, not a curse. If you want big unison patches, then this synth should not be your first choice for obvious reasons. However, if audio-rate mod is what you're after, then this little beast will provide this in spades.

Thanks again to TheWaveWarden for developing this awesome synth and making it open-source, it is an awesome tool.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:32 am Wouldn‘t it be the easiest optimization to change unison to only duplicate the oscillators? Duplicating the filters doesn‘t make sense, as running it through multiple filters and then summing would not change the sound at all - assuming the filters are linear - but if they are not and have nonlinear parts I would rather expect an even thicker sound as you get difference and sum frequencies on top of it…
You can modulate the filter parameters by unison index, for instance to give some unison detune to a comb filter. So there's some sense to it apart from any nonlinearities.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:32 am
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:41 am Also, unison in Odin duplicates the WHOLE voice, not just the oscillators. This is much more CPU expensive.
Wouldn‘t it be the easiest optimization to change unison to only duplicate the oscillators? Duplicating the filters doesn‘t make sense, as running it through multiple filters and then summing would not change the sound at all - assuming the filters are linear - but if they are not and have nonlinear parts I would rather expect an even thicker sound as you get difference and sum frequencies on top of it…
The dev made it clear that he is working on a new synth, with a different architecture, and that Odin 2 will likely remain as is, barring an unlikely major re-write of the audio engine. So use it as is, or not... :wink:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I just uploaded Version 2.3.2, which fixes a pretty serious bug, where using multiple instances with reverb enabled produced noisy output.

If you want to use the reverb, I suggest downloading it!

Any ETA of the new synth? :P

crickey13 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:31 am Any ETA of the new synth? :P
Earliest around end of 2022. I really want to knock it out of the park with this one, so I'll give it time. Currently investing 200% of my time into it 8)

Here's a pic of the MSEG I'm working on
MSEG.png

Feel free to let me know what you're looking for in a good MSEG everyone :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BTW, I think I've found a bug. When you hover above the help button, the synth starts displaying help comments without you clicking on the button and this cannot be turned off, you have to close down the GUI and open it back again in order to make it go away. Also, upon re-opening the GUI, it always switches back to the 150% size even if you left it at 100% before closing the GUI.
Last edited by crickey13 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 pm Earliest around end of 2022. I really want to knock it out of the park with this one, so I'll give it time. Currently investing 200% of my time into it 8)
Nice, really looking forward to it. :tu:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 pm
Snap to Semitone in the Grid. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

crickey13 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:14 pm BTW, I think I've found a bug. When you hover above the help button, the synth starts displaying help comments without you clicking on the button and this cannot be turned off, you have to close down the GUI and open it back again in order to make it go away. Also, upon re-opening the GUI, it always switches back to the 150% size even if you left it at 100% before closing the GUI.
I could reproduce neither of the two. Do you have a file C:\ProgramData\odin2\odin2.conf? (Assuming you're on Windows) What does it say? If the problems persist then please file a bug report over at GitHub.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:17 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 pm
Snap to Semitone in the Grid. :tu:
Snap to semitone... You mean when the MSEG controls osc pitch?

Snap to arbitrary divisions both horizontally and vertically is a must. Many interesting curve shapes also doesn't hurt. Single vs Shift editing modes are a nice thing to have as well (feel free to consult Surge's code :) )

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:26 pm Snap to semitone... You mean when the MSEG controls osc pitch?
Yes to do pitch sequences. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

crickey13 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:14 pm BTW, I think I've found a bug. When you hover above the help button, the synth starts displaying help comments without you clicking on the button and this cannot be turned off,
no,
not here: mac osx mojave, logicX
hover over the "?" button does nothing
only when clicking it, it shows the help infos

Return to “Instruments”