Arturia SQ 80 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SQ80 V

fmr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am I think this is planned but not yet implemented.
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that phrase. :)

I just posted a bank of 48 patches for this synth to my website, here.

Some of these were imported from patches originally made on my (long dead) ESQ-1 and modified, others are new.

My $0.02 on the synth: I almost never buy stuff as soon as it gets released, but I had to make an exception for this. :) I'm loving this thing, despite the small issues others have mentioned. SQ-8L made a fine replacement for the ESQ in my arsenal, but I am enjoying some of the additional features here. I like how they made the "hidden waves" more accessible, for instance. I don't really think I would have jumped so fast (and perhaps not at all) at full price, especially considering the existence of SQ-8L, but for the intro price I'm not regretting my decision at all. Not necessarily saying it isn't worth the full price, but my budget is limited and I already have so many cool synths that it's getting harder to justify more.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

synthgeek wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 pm I just posted a bank of 48 patches for this synth to my website, here.

Some of these were imported from patches originally made on my (long dead) ESQ-1 and modified, others are new.
I might be missing something obvious, but I can't seem to import your SQ-80 V presets. They are greyed out in the OSX finder when I go to "import" in the SQ-80 V menu and then look at your folder.

EDIT: Ok, I just found your readme.txt that says "copy this folder into your Arturia User Presets folder" to install.

I find it frustrating that Arturia's browser completely abstracts file storage -- you have all these import, save, delete options, but it doesn't ever tell you *where* the banks and presets are actually stored on your system. I much prefer preset browsers that feature a right-click "show in finder" option, so it's always clear where files are literally being stored.

As a result, I have no idea where to put your presets! I've checked Library > Audio > Presets...no Arturia folder there. Library > Application Support... no Arturia folder there, either. I checked both User and System level libraries....nothing.

Could you kindly point me to where these actually belong?

thanks!

mholloway wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:02 pm I might be missing something obvious, but I can't seem to import your SQ-80 V presets. They are greyed out in the OSX finder when I go to "import" in the SQ-80 V menu and then look at your folder.
The import function is for non-native presets like sysex, right?
I don't see a function to add native presets in the UI either - I assume that you need to copy the files to the user banks/presets folder on your hard drive. (I think that it's (on Windows) common files/arturia/something something). :wink:

T-CM11 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm
mholloway wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:02 pm I might be missing something obvious, but I can't seem to import your SQ-80 V presets. They are greyed out in the OSX finder when I go to "import" in the SQ-80 V menu and then look at your folder.
The import function is for non-native presets like sysex, right?
I don't see a function to add native presets in the UI either - I assume that you need to copy the files to the user banks/presets folder on your hard drive. (I think that it's (on Windows) common files/arturia/something something). :wink:
I'm on Mac and trying to figure out where they heck they are... Arturia should really make this more clear in the browser, but it totally abstracts file saving and gives no indication of where things are stored, that I've seen anyway.

Ok I finally found it. On mac its:

HD/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Presets/SQ80 V/User

If you look in your User/Library/Audio/Presets path, there's no Arturia folder.

Some companies use the User path, some use the system path. Wheee.

mholloway wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 pm I'm on Mac and trying to figure out where they heck they are... Arturia should really make this more clear in the browser, but it totally abstracts file saving and gives no indication of where things are stored, that I've seen anyway.
I completely agree! Still, it's to be expected these days. Arturia, and most other companies, try to prioritize their resources according to the expectations of the majority of their (potential) customers. And most of them don't care about this. :neutral:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:03 pm Here's the SQ80.png file you can use for your imported bank files. Just drop the image in Shared/Images and then make a copy named the same way you imported banks are named.

SQ-80.png

Here's the ESQ-1.png again:

ESQ-1.png
thanks for these!! but one problem.. I can't find this "Shared/Images" folder... I tried dropping the icons into the soundbank folders and that doesn't seem to work either...

also or whatever reason the bonus "Raw" and "Dust" images to the soundbanks didn't even automatically show like in your pic... unless you manually applied those.

mholloway wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 pm I'm on Mac and trying to figure out where they heck they are... Arturia should really make this more clear in the browser, but it totally abstracts file saving and gives no indication of where things are stored, that I've seen anyway.
Looks like you got it sorted? Cool if so, and I must agree that the file system is a bit frustrating. When I first tried to save the bank, I figured I should use the "Export bank" command, but that ended up giving me some sort of ghost copy of all of the presets in the bank... there didn't seem to be a second group of files anywhere, but they were all listed twice in the plugin. I cut and pasted the folder somewhere else hoping that would "delete" the presets, which it did, and when I put it back, everything was normal again, so I assumed that should work as a method for moving/sharing presets too.

It would indeed be nice to have some info on this stuff in the manual. I also must admit to not really considering Mac users here myself, as I'm so used to dealing with Win-only stuff.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

kidnay wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:03 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:03 pm Here's the SQ80.png file you can use for your imported bank files. Just drop the image in Shared/Images and then make a copy named the same way you imported banks are named.
SQ-80.png
ESQ-1.png
thanks for these!! but one problem.. I can't find this "Shared/Images" folder... I tried dropping the icons into the soundbank folders and that doesn't seem to work either...
also or whatever reason the bonus "Raw" and "Dust" images to the soundbanks didn't even automatically show like in your pic... unless you manually applied those.
I assume you're on Windows? If so the images go into:

Arturia 092621-1.png
The Raw and Dust images didn't show up at first here either. I think I had to load a patch from the banks or something first? Don't quite remember but they showed up eventually.

-------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I bought the SQ80v. Question for you guys. I can't find an answer via google or Buchty.

In 2010 before my esq-m died, I made mdx dumps of my voice crystal cartridges and internal to my windows computers at the time. To this day, I don't know how to get those mdx things converted to read in the sq80v...or sq80l ....preferably by someone else as I don't have linux or savvy for it.

Lke I say, I've read the Buchty site. I get it that he wouldn't want to do the conversions, but I sort of thought by now in time, I'd hear of someone somewhere who can/will.

Any tips? It'd be cool to get the cartridge sounds into the sq.

synthgeek wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 pm I just posted a bank of 48 patches for this synth to my website...
Some of these were imported from patches originally made on my (long dead) ESQ-1 and modified, others are new
It's confusing that there are two folders "SQ80 V" and "SQ-80 V" on windows. I copied your folder to "SQ80 V\User\" and it works. Thank you :) !
For example:
Hard drive:\Users\All Users\Arturia\Presets\SQ80 V\User\FSA_SQuee 80

Examigan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Bulbizarre wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:27 pm Anyone knows if you can bypass all effects at the same time ? I can't find the feature for this
I didn't find one. I used MIDI learn to connect four sliders on my MIDI keyboard controller to the Dry/Wet mix slider of the four effects.
Another way I thought of doing this was to set one macro to the on/off button for all four of the effects.

macros.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Examigan on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 pm
kidnay wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:03 pm
SQ-80.png
ESQ-1.png
I assume you're on Windows? If so the images go into:

Arturia 092621-1.png

The Raw and Dust images didn't show up at first here either. I think I had to load a patch from the banks or something first? Don't quite remember but they showed up eventually.

-------
awesome. that worked! thanks

also.. in case, for anyone else "Raw" and "Dust" don't load... here ya go.

DosWasBest wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:10 pm I bought the SQ80v. Question for you guys. I can't find an answer via google or Buchty.

In 2010 before my esq-m died, I made mdx dumps of my voice crystal cartridges and internal to my windows computers at the time. To this day, I don't know how to get those mdx things converted to read in the sq80v...or sq80l ....preferably by someone else as I don't have linux or savvy for it.

Lke I say, I've read the Buchty site. I get it that he wouldn't want to do the conversions, but I sort of thought by now in time, I'd hear of someone somewhere who can/will.

Any tips? It'd be cool to get the cartridge sounds into the sq.
I think changing the extension to .syx will do the trick.

Return to “Instruments”