One Synth Challenge #151: GR-8 by Phuturetone (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hockinsk3 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:33 pm but my immediate impression was the kick is too stereo & woolly if that's what you're mean by 'need samples'.
Thanks, the kick should not be stereo, fixed and updated. Wooly sound is ok, it must stay behind (though now it's a little louder).
About samples, I meant some voices and fxs.

@Taron TY and Ciao!

Published my 2nd little LUA script for Protoplug after an afternoon of nerding.

It's a amplitud modulation / pumping simulator. It's synced to tempo/counting times of the DAW.
https://github.com/huberp/ProtoplugScri ... litude.lua

It does not do too much, just ampliduted modulation synced your DAW and to 1/4 notes simulating a pumping effect.

It's applying a sigmoid curve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoid_function) like used in logistic regression to the volume.
All the code is already built to support any note count. As of today you cannot simply change the sync setting without changing the code ... but, I will add parameters soon so that you can chose 1/8, 1/4 whatever.

It works sequencer synced when sequencer plays and tempo synced when you just play your keyboard... at least on my Bitwig 4.0.3 ;-) You can clearly see the pumping curve applied on the samples in the following picture. Without my lua code the sample would be constant amplitude.
AmplitudeKungFu.png
The code might be interesting for some of you who are interested in coding plugins in Juce. you can get what it means to code sample synced.
Problem in DAWs is that the DAWs ppq pointer is not always on point with counting times. In Bitwig the ppq Counter is sometimes (always) little off of exact counting times and thus does not hit counting times exactly. Anyways coping with it requires only some little basic maths and then it works.
Good thing - once the note sync stuff works it could be used to do arps and probably euclidian rhythms as well ... more will follow. And forgive me - only "learnt" lua some weeks ago. I'm not a pro.

As of now it's a little prototpye with still some rough edges. It does not survice heavy bpm modulation currently for instance. And it's not optimized yet. Then I do only test on Bitwig... It might crash on your favorite host ... Long story short. You can already use it if you need some side-chain pumping simulation and want to peak into the code.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

liqih wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:22 pm
hockinsk3 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:33 pm but my immediate impression was the kick is too stereo & woolly if that's what you're mean by 'need samples'.
Thanks, the kick should not be stereo, fixed and updated. Wooly sound is ok, it must stay behind (though now it's a little louder).

@Taron TY and Ciao!
I was listening on headphones with Meir crossfeed accidentally off. With the crossfeed enabled it sounded fine, I guess it would with the crossfeed from monitor speakers too. Just a preference, you do you you haha!

hockinsk3 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:12 pm
liqih wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:22 pm

@Taron TY and Ciao!
I was listening on headphones with Meir crossfeed accidentally off. With the crossfeed enabled it sounded fine, I guess it would with the crossfeed from monitor speakers too. Just a preference, you do you you haha!
LOL, anyway I like the kick better now, so thanks, again.

Aro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm I agree with Taron. I'm very inspired by the community here.
+1 here, when I started here 10 YEARS AGO I was just a bass player looking to learn a few things about software instruments, and I was immediately embraced by this amazing community of generous and brilliant musicians. Thanks to everyone here, and here's to at least ten more years hangin' with y'all!

Phuturetone wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:32 pm Hi All,

A mini-update, added the global Octave control:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gr-8-b ... /downloads

Cheers!
Thanks so much for these updates, I'll check it out tonight, hopefully I can post my entry soon...

Cheers!
Please advise, I failed to install it. (s.attachment). I am on W10pro, AbletonLive11.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gigue07 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:15 pm Please advise, I failed to install it.
You could try clicking on the first suggested option, that should fix the thing.

It may be that you changed the security setting to a parent folder. That automatically set the Write Permission to Deny for all the files in that folder, including the GR-8.

Try changing the Security setting for the VST3 folder. Set the Write Permission for Administrator to Allow.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Sasha, it worked by selecting the first option. Cheers.

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:23 pm
Aro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm I agree with Taron. I'm very inspired by the community here.
+1 here, when I started here 10 YEARS AGO I was just a bass player looking to learn a few things about software instruments, and I was immediately embraced by this amazing community of generous and brilliant musicians. Thanks to everyone here, and here's to at least ten more years hangin' with y'all!
I feel very much likewise!
It's been a while! What a great community.

Track submitted for OSC151

https://soundcloud.com/user-194933727/f ... alk-osc151

Tracks: 9
DAW Studio One
Plugins: Nothing crazy,
studio one effects: Fat Channel. Limiter, Beat Delay, Mix Verb, ProEQ
Melda Mspectral Pan

Love the swirling pads FrankH. Would you be willing to share the patch/? Sounds fantastic!

Swirly_Pad_FH.zip
@hockinsk3 here is the patch for the swirly pad.

Many thanks Frank!

Cheers!
Not sure why, but this update seems to have changed the internal mappings. Automation from the previous two versions of GR-8 have automated the same, this latest octave control update has caused e.g.

OSC Pulsewidth has now become PWM Source
Filter Cutoff is now Env2 Sustain
Filter Resonance is now Filter LFO Depth

Could just be how Bitwig saved automation mappings maybe? Not a big deal, I just remap them in Bitwig, but might cause some confusion as I thought I'd lost all automation in the latest update until I figured out it's all changed what's being automated.

Edit: Looks to just be the parameter list has all shifted down a position with the Pitch Octave added to the top of the list, but Bitwig must use the index position of the parameter in the GR-8 list rather than index by the actual parameter name as a string.

Return to “Instruments”