experience with total integration access virus Ti

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

I was wondering if someone could share his experience with total integeration for the access virus.
I am planning to buy one but one important aspect to me is total integration.

If I understood it right it would transfer audio through usb and I could store presets with a song. So I could basically use it like an vst instrument, just with the hardware connected via usb. Is that correct?
Could I also load multiple instances, basically to have two or three access virus tracks as long as I am not running out of voices?

I am mainly working with Studio One, Windows 10 and have a Steinberg UR22mkII Soundsystem.

What possible issues could I run into when using total integration. Unfortunately I heard lots of bad things about it, but I would just check if they are just related to specific setups.

Thanks
Jan

I've owned a few versions of the Virus TI - Polar TI, TI2 module, and TI2 keyboard, which was my main synth/controller for many years. The total integration always worked great for me on Windows. Yes, it transfers audio through USB, stores presets, allows access to a HUGE library of presets for Virus on your hard drive, etc. The software editor/plugin works pretty much like any soft synth, with real-time control over the hardware parameters, and makes it easy to access features that are buried in menus on the hardware.

As for multiple instances, no you can't do that in a DAW, but it is a 16-part multi-timbral instrument, so you can run many Virus parts/synth sounds simultaneously within one plugin (albeit with an increasing hit to the Virus' hardware processor, which can limit the performance, voices per part, etc.). Honestly, in practice, you probably won't ever get 16 parts from it simultaneously, but I often had 2-3 parts going simultaneously with no problem.

I used mine primarily with Sonar, but also pretty extensively with Studio One on Windows 7 and, for a short time, on Windows 10 before switching primarily to Mac and replacing my TI2 keyboard with NI Komplete Kontrol (the Virus TI is not yet compatible with Catalina/Big Sur). It worked great and served me well for years, but yes, some people had problems with it. The only consistent issue I ran into was the arp/LFO clock getting way out of sync with the DAW clock, which is a pretty widespread problem with the TI. It's solved by simply stopping and restarting playback of the song in your DAW, but it is annoyingly common when working with the TIs in my experience.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Ah that actually sounds pretty great. Thanks so much for letting me know your experience with it. Yeah I wasn`t expecting 16 parts anyway. I am already happy with 2-3 to be honest :)

Thanks
Jan

One thing that's clear about Access that's worth mentioning is that they don't seem to be doing much in the way of support for the Virus these days, hence the reason most Mac Catalina/Big Sur users like myself are pretty much SOL right now. They refuse to provide any updates regarding future compatibility with Macs, and I'm not even sure when they last updated the software or firmware. There are certainly some people out there who could never get the TI working properly, so that's a factor to consider before spending that much on a synth. I don't have good sense of how many Virus+Studio One users are on KVR, so you might want to ask questions about people's experience with it on the PreSonus and/or official/unofficial Virus forums before buying. When it's working right, it's a powerhouse and fun synth, but I can't imagine the frustration of spending that much and having it not work as advertised.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Yeah thats what i heard as well. But I hope I should be fine as a windows user. And if you got it working in Studio One then I should get it working somehow as well I guess.

Also, I had a nervous finger and clicked the buy button already. I hope it goes all well. In a week I will know more :hihi:

Congrats, I’m jealous! I miss my Virus and plan on buying a desktop version if/when they update Mac compatibility!

I loved my TI, only synth Ive ever regretted selling. I used it in Ableton, win 7 - 10 with no issues…you get the full 16 parts but only three designated tracks.

I took it abroad for a year and pretty much found out I could just have this synth and it would be enough, so I quickly sold it before my other synths found out!

cryophonik wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:22 pm I've owned a few versions of the Virus TI - Polar TI, TI2 module, and TI2 keyboard, which was my main synth/controller for many years.
i have a potentially good deal on a TI2 keyboard. i was wondering would this work as a good controller for NI Komplete, and other VST's? if so, would i still be using the USB, or would it need to through MIDI into my Scarlett? i'm using Mojave on my Mac. btw, how come you are not using your TI2 as your main controller now?

wei wei wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pm
cryophonik wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:22 pm I've owned a few versions of the Virus TI - Polar TI, TI2 module, and TI2 keyboard, which was my main synth/controller for many years.
i have a potentially good deal on a TI2 keyboard. i was wondering would this work as a good controller for NI Komplete, and other VST's? if so, would i still be using the USB, or would it need to through MIDI into my Scarlett? i'm using Mojave on my Mac. btw, how come you are not using your TI2 as your main controller now?
The Virus TI2 is a great controller, as far as the keyboard goes and, yes, it all works over USB. If you have a decent working knowledge of MIDI, you do have the ability to create custom templates for other hardware/software synths using the Remote page in the Virus plugin. For NI, I'd consider looking at the Komplete Kontrol mk2 before making your decision - it's automatically integrated with your NI plugins and other NKS-compatible soft synths and effects:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... -products/

I actually sold my Virus TI2 (61-key) a few years ago and replaced it with the Komplete Kontrol mk2. I'd like to buy another desktop TI2 if Access ever updates it for compatibility with Big Sur, but I've pretty much given up hope for that ever happening.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
cryophonik wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm
wei wei wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pm
The Virus TI2 is a great controller, as far as the keyboard goes and, yes, it all works over USB. If you have a decent working knowledge of MIDI, you do have the ability to create custom templates for other hardware/software synths using the Remote page in the Virus plugin. For NI, I'd consider looking at the Komplete Kontrol mk2 before making your decision - it's automatically integrated with your NI plugins and other NKS-compatible soft synths and effects:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... -products/ (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/this-is-nks/nks-products/)

I actually sold my Virus TI2 (61-key) a few years ago and replaced it with the Komplete Kontrol mk2. I'd like to buy another desktop TI2 if Access ever updates it for compatibility with Big Sur, but I've pretty much given up hope for that ever happening.
actually have had the KK MK2 for a few years now, and my question was simply for space reasons. i'd like to put my MK2 back in the box, and use the TI2 as the controller. if for any reason the TI2 wouldn't work smoothly with Komplete, i'd just have both keyboards out.

TI was always a nightmare for me. Running Windows on various computers, I always had problems having the virus recognised by the PC. Then you have to go through an annoying procedure (pulling out all the cables) to try and get it recognised. Since mine also developed a dodgy power lead connection, this aggravated the problem. By the time the whole rigmarole was over, whatever inclination you had to make music was usually gone.

Mainly for that reason, I realised last year I hadn't actually spent much time using the virus in the 10 years I had owned it. I decided to sell it and arranged for a repair of the power connector first. (Access didn't respond to my emails about this so I had to find someone local to do it.) After getting it back, I played it a bit just to make sure it all worked OK before selling it. It was then I realised how bloody good it sounded and decided not to sell it after all, kicking myself for having neglected it for 10 years.

The TI was still problematical, though, so I decided just to forget all about it and connect it to the PC through an interface via audio cables. Everything has been so much simpler since then.

It's still a bloody great synth and I'd prefer it over more modern synths like the Rev 2, Hydrasynth or Minilogue XD. It's also good as an effects unit if you have some of the analogue retreads like the Behringer clones which have limited built-in effects.

I saw someone on the virus forums complain that the synth sound was different via TI than via audio and that was also my impression, but since I didn't investigate it systematically I won't make that statement definitively, just throw it out there as something to watch out for.

The TI portion of the Virus was nearly useless when I had it. I sold my Access Virus years ago and never looked back. I've never regretted it. I've never felt I was missing out on anything it offered. When I had my old Windows desktop, I would literally have to unplug all other USB devices to get the TI to work. If I plugged in my other devices after I had it running they would all completely fail to work. It was always Virus or nothing at all. When I switched to Windows laptops, I never got the TI to work once. If you're really after a Virus, I would say, prepare for the strong possibility of dealing with lots of menu diving over an interface with zero tilt and plenty of hidden secondary controls because it just doesn't have enough buttons or knobs for its full functionality. Personally if I had the choice to buy it in 2021, I would just buy any of the EDM based synth plugins (Icarus, Spire, Dune, Viper, etc) instead and save the money.

Torchlight wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:48 pm TI was always a nightmare for me. Running Windows on various computers, I always had problems having the virus recognised by the PC. Then you have to go through an annoying procedure (pulling out all the cables) to try and get it recognised. Since mine also developed a dodgy power lead connection, this aggravated the problem. By the time the whole rigmarole was over, whatever inclination you had to make music was usually gone.

Mainly for that reason, I realised last year I hadn't actually spent much time using the virus in the 10 years I had owned it. I decided to sell it and arranged for a repair of the power connector first. (Access didn't respond to my emails about this so I had to find someone local to do it.) After getting it back, I played it a bit just to make sure it all worked OK before selling it. It was then I realised how bloody good it sounded and decided not to sell it after all, kicking myself for having neglected it for 10 years.

The TI was still problematical, though, so I decided just to forget all about it and connect it to the PC through an interface via audio cables. Everything has been so much simpler since then.

It's still a bloody great synth and I'd prefer it over more modern synths like the Rev 2, Hydrasynth or Minilogue XD. It's also good as an effects unit if you have some of the analogue retreads like the Behringer clones which have limited built-in effects.

I saw someone on the virus forums complain that the synth sound was different via TI than via audio and that was also my impression, but since I didn't investigate it systematically I won't make that statement definitively, just throw it out there as something to watch out for.
I can't imagine picking a Virus over a Hydrasynth. The Hydrasynth has been one of the best hardware synths I've owned in years. I'm already planning on buying the Hydrasynth Deluxe. The interface alone makes it great to program all sorts of crazy sounds. It's a sound designer's dream.

abject39 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 pm
I can't imagine picking a Virus over a Hydrasynth. The Hydrasynth has been one of the best hardware synths I've owned in years. I'm already planning on buying the Hydrasynth Deluxe. The interface alone makes it great to program all sorts of crazy sounds. It's a sound designer's dream.
I mainly bought the Hydrasynth to use as a poly aftertouch controller and might buy the Deluxe version for the same reason. Haven't spent that much time playing around with its synth capabilities, but it didn't really wow me in the limited time that I did spend with it. Going through its presets, there were probably fewer than half a dozen that I found inspirational. Even the sounds in this official demo I listened to this morning sound fairly pedestrian:

https://youtu.be/uoUj_IBd_OM

If it's a sound designer's dream, it's curious that top sound designers haven't yet done more with it.

Flick through the presets on a Virus and you will find many that sound "big-time". Take one of the presets you like on the Virus and randomly turn the knobs and the chances are the patch will still sound good at almost every point, just in slightly different ways.

The Hydrasynth is well thought-out, I concede. And you can certainly get good sounds out of it. It just seems to me a much more effortful process than it is with a Virus.
Last edited by Torchlight on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's a good amount of third-party presets out there in the world but yeah, I agree there should be more. I'm sure with time more sounds will come to the Hydrasynth.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”